Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Meat today

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No Meat today Empty No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

As a Catholic I try to follow the rules of the church that I feel are pertinent and important to my life. My dad, of course, is horrified. To him being a Catholic is all or nothing. You don't pick and choose the rules.

Since I am divorced and remarried, I find being Catholic a challenging task at times. So much of what I do flies in the face of Catholic expectations.

That said, one observance I follow is no meat on Good Friday. Not eating meat is a reminder and a show of respect because Christ sacrificed his Flesh and by abstaining from flesh we are keeping His sacrifice in mind.

Another reason is that throughout history meat was expensive and fish and shellfish were cheap or free. You would give up the rich expensive food in lieu of the cheap, frugal stuff. Today that is not the case and many Catholics enjoy a lovely dinner of lobster tonight, still technically observing Good Friday.

2No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:02 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dont want to start a argument I was raised Catholic but the reason of eating fish on Fridays is
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is a good read in its own way.

But if a person feels that they should eat fish on good Friday and other fridays I commend them for holding to their beliefs and remember a child under 14 does not have to eat fish they can have meat so saith the church

3No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Head cook around here (me) doesn't like seafood and is also not Catholic, so we're having spaghetti with meat sauce tonight.

Doubt Catholic-raised husband will remember to observe any traditions. lol

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting read, Appway.

There are many Catholics eating fancy seafood tonight without realizing why. It is certainly not much of a peasant dish any more.

Doug, who is Lutheran wants to eat out tonight. I shall probably have pasta with a plain sauce.

5No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nowdays who can afford meat? Meat that is good for you that is. I know what goes into sausage and lunchmeat so I don't eat it anymore. I ran out of venison from last year so haven't had meat for a while. I have a freind who has an old cow that is going to be grass fed hamburger soon so I am waiting to buy some. I love cheeseburgers.
Kind of off topic sorry Sue.
Geri

6No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Marinated chicken breasts and garden salad here tonight for dinner! We're not catholic, so its all good! But if I was, I'd just have to repent my chicken eatin' sin and all would be OK!! Twisted Evil

Just a joke kids, don't read into it too much!! tongue

7No Meat today Empty Re: No Meat today Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Good to hear that you are trying to stay true to your faith there Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum