Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Storing Meat without plastic

+2
Schipperkesue
Hidden River
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Storing Meat without plastic Empty Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 am

Hmm.. Strange question.

I'm trying to lessen/eliminate the amount of plastic in my life, so I'm wondering if anyone has any methods for freezing meat without plastic. I tried bakers paper, wrapped 4 times and tied, but the meat freezer burned really quick (which is fine, I eat freezer burned meat). Anyone have any hints, or am I asking for the impossible?

2Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:04 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is meat paper that you can wrap the meat in, it has wax on the inside and then just brown paper on the outside. I personally prefer the plastic wrapped then paper wrapped meat, just keeps so much longer. We are still eating beef from 2008 with no freezer burn.

Not sure what other options there are out there for you? I know some people wrap the meat in cheese cloth then paper, and that helps a bit, just a pain to get the cheese cloth off the meat again unless you thaw it out completley before cooking (something I am not good at doing, I take from freezer to oven most days).

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wrap with paper then put in plastic. The plastic will not touch the meat.

4Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

wrap the meat in butcher paper then put the packages in heavy plastic bags, which can be reused.

5Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

6Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

A layer of wax paper inside the brown wrapping paper might help preseve meat too.

As well, your freezer might not be working up to snuff. It's the freeze / thaw cycles of frost free feezers that are hard on meat and make those weird crystals in your ice cream.

When placing fresh meat in the freezer, be sure to place it in such a way that cold air can circulate all around it. DO NOT CLUMP unfrozen meat in dense piles. Once it's frozen then you can pack it more efficiently and that might even preserve some of the inner meat from being freezer burned as bad. This is especially important if you are freezing freshly butchered chickens. If they are not 100% cold, it takes a LONG TIME and a lot of energy to freeze those dense birds. IT puts a large strain on a freezer to pack it with birds that have any body heat left in them. You really want to spread the birds around. Once they are frozen you can stuff them in more tightly. But if your home butchered birds look like mine, there is no packing them in. They all look like they were killed as they attempted to fly away, arms and legs in every direction! No packing those things no matter how I try.

7Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok, I misread. Here is better advice. Wrap in butcher paper then store in one of those corning glass containers. We actuallu have a lot of glass in our freezer and it cuts down on the freezer burn.

8Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:34 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I vote for Tara's method. Those layers of ice pretty much eliminate freezer burn.

Uno, if you'd let the rigor mortis wear off before you tried to cram them into the freezer, they might be a lttle more flexible. . .

9Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:09 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rigor mortis schmortis, I have two main concerns when it comes to my birds: extreme cleanliness when butchering and getting them cold and frozen as fast as possible. But I do marvel at grocery store chickens, all tucked up like little pink footballs and wonder, how do they do that? But I do think they freeze faster all splayed out rather than huddled in a round, tight mass. But it sure does take up room in the freezer!

10Storing Meat without plastic Empty Re: Storing Meat without plastic Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks very much. I think I'll try Tara's method! That sounds just like what I was looking for.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum