Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

**Graphic picture** What causes this in a hatched chick

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

There was lots and lots of peeping earlier today from a chick that had been slow getting out. I went to pull him out of the bator and found him just as you see him in the picture below. He had a large water sack on one side that lacked feathering and appeared to be under the skin, his leg joint is up where his wing should be and his wing joined at the base of his neck. He was bright and alert, but I put him down, I can't imagine he would have been able to walk and I was concerned about that water bag. The bloody navel I've seen before and wasn't overly worried about it.

Is there anything in particular that causes this, or is this just one of those things? I did a terrible job rotating eggs for the hatch he was in, and some of the eggs may have been partially frozen when set into the bator -- could either of those have caused the troubles?

Thanks.

**Graphic picture** What causes this in a hatched chick 001-2_zps0a05df3e

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is a very good paper on Hatchability Problems from The University of Florida.
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001

#16 - Sign: Malformations, Causes: Might interest you.
They list 9 different possibilities.

Of course, to pin point the exact cause may be difficult unless you keep hatching records. I would say that if the majority of your hatch was okay with no issues, then I would just say this poor little fellow was, sadly, not meant to be.

toybarons wrote:There is a very good paper on Hatchability Problems from The University of Florida.
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001

#16 - Sign: Malformations, Causes: Might interest you.
They list 9 different possibilities.

Of course, to pin point the exact cause may be difficult unless you keep hatching records. I would say that if the majority of your hatch was okay with no issues, then I would just say this poor little fellow was, sadly, not meant to be.

Thats really an interesting paper. The person I borrow thing incubator from has had the bloody navel problem as well, so I'll check temperatures.

Thanks for sharing.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good link Toybaron, I look forward to getting a chance to read it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum