Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A FOX and a WEASEL in one day- Graphic pic

+3
ChicoryFarm
honeybrook
Amy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yesterday my dog killed a weasel that I didn't even know was around, I am pretty pleased because I have about 150 chicks in a shed that isn't weasel proof.

Then the fox that has been stealing chickens was here yesterday evening while we were playing in the yard. I just happened to be chasing my two year old who was headed to see the 'Chickies' when I noticed all my little ducklings and goslings were panicky and piled up against the wire of the pen I put them during the day time. Foxie loxie was just about get herself dinner! Only about 40 ft from the house. I quickly went in and told Mike, who grabbed the .22 and ran outside, the fox had run up behind the shed about 200ft away but he got it!! A perfect shot too. While I really hated seeing it dead, it has been grabbing brids here and there all spring, my neighbour even called once to tell me they seen her with one.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

honeybrook

honeybrook

Glad to see you got your preditors before they got your birds hopefully there are no more around

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, beautiful animal. So sorry you had no other choice. It is hard. They're just trying to survive. If only they'd stay away from our animals though. Glad we don't have foxes here. They could get through our deer fencing which would give them close access to the chicken fencing. Luckily not a concern.

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good pup getting that weasel! The stories I've read of them getting into the coop and the horrors they cause. Too bad about the fox I wish they'd stick to rodents and stay away from your chickens but at least you won't be losing any more of your babies to mr fox

Giddyup

Giddyup

Good doggie!
I too am glad we don't have foxes. Although we'd have to make the same choice...not being experienced with them they are beautiful to see. But, people tell me that about raccoons. THOSE...I don't see as cute at all.
Productive day!

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations, I wouldn't feel too bad about the fox. You did not kill one of the more intelligent ones because those ones stay away from Man and it is their genes that will continue.

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What kind of dog killed the weasel? It was a bit of a battle I would bet. A few years ago my dogs killed 8 of them on our property in a two week stretch but not before getting her nose ripped open. Weasels have razor sharp teeth. The alpha bitch quickly learned to change her killing method and it worked well.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooh, those racoons. I don't like them either. They fight back when I've taken a broom to them and scared the you-know-what out of me. Their just plain nasty.

Giddyup wrote:Good doggie!
I too am glad we don't have foxes. Although we'd have to make the same choice...not being experienced with them they are beautiful to see. But, people tell me that about raccoons. THOSE...I don't see as cute at all.
Productive day!

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Dan- It was my 25lb Pomeranian/American Eskimo that killed the weaasel, she was the first one to take after the bear too.

I have to say I sure have slept better the last few nights, we knew the fox was around and taking chickens but I hadn't seen her myself. Glad we don't have raccons here.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is a sad deed to have to do. I’m glad your chickies are safe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum