Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

new project, not chickeny

+5
uno
authenticfarm
triplejfarms
rosewood
coopslave
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1new project, not chickeny Empty new project, not chickeny Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I need a new set of show chaps. My old ones are ugly and I am a bit FAT and they don't fit all that well so I wanted a new pair. Looked at the premade ones and they can be a bit ugly too.....picky girl. The premade ones run between $350 and $500. Lots of money to pay for chaps you are not keen on. Found a lady that makes custom chaps, works of art really....sigh.....I would love a pair but at $775 I just could not spend the money.
So my adventure begins to make my own chaps. A friend that lives up the road here and I ride with has some experience with this so we have put our heads together. We are doing it. I found some really nice hide that is big enough for them. Cutting chaps have a lot of fringe and I prefer a fringe that is not sewn on, so the hide had to be big enough. It also had to be a colour to make the picky girl happy.
Anyways, long story short, the chaps are cut and I stamped the belts today. I am really happy with my first attempt at stamping. These will be one of a kind!!!
Here is the belt and the strips that will go down the leg. There will be conchos on the leg as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:10 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

They look real nice. I did some leather tooling when I was a teenager which puts anything I made into the museum category. I recently found a belt I had made years ago, but found the belt had shrunk so much that it would no longer real around in the usual location. I can't wait to see a picture with the new chaps installed.

3new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:32 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nice job! I did the leather tooling that wraps around my texas long horns, its allot of work, noisey but its beautiful work at the end! Good luck!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

4new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely! I have not worked with leather very much yet. I will put it on the list.

I really want to upholster something in cowhide.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:26 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Were your first tooling experiments on the GOOD leather? Aren't you a brave girl! I've done some tooling, just goofing around, but on scrap leather. Horse Daughter's buddy has taken a saddle making course. You should see the stuff this young woman makes! I admire leather work and I hope you keep posting pics, COopslave.

6new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Working with leather is a skill and an art. I know you will enjoy your new endeavour.

7new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, well, how impressive. Ya, for sure, get some pictures of the totally finished product, modeled on someone, which I think should be you. Promise we won't think you are fat Twisted Evil . I know you and I don't think you are fat, bad girl!!! So, ya, Coopslave, get some pictures later, I think this is incredible what you are doing and that you took on such a project!! Yay!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

8new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone. I sure do enjoy it. It appeals to my artistic side, my practical side and my organised, compulsive side! Laughing

Uno, straight to the good leather, go hard or go home!!! I may redo the one as there are a few things I would fix, but in the long run I don't think what I want to fix would make much difference to the chaps as a whole. Just the perfectionist side of me having the irritation.

I am already thinking of my next pair, who knows I may make a habit of this.

I promise to keep you all updated. They are on hold now until after the big sale. So hopefully we will get them sewn next week, and the fringe cut after that. Pretty excited about them. Very Happy

9new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great start coopslave Smile I hope you are going to post pics of progression.

My mom was the sewer in our house and it was always nice to watch something take shape, so I envy those with sewing skills especailly leather it can be a bit finicky.

So you go girl cheers

How do you like your length on your chaps? I notice that some have a much shorter inseam cut than others, who say wear theirs down to the ground.

Last edited by Ruffledfeathers on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Asked a question)

10new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

Great start Coopslave. I too am looking forward to seeing the progress.
Good luck with the sale this week.

11new project, not chickeny Empty Re: new project, not chickeny Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

*wiggles like an excited puppy* Oh yes, please do keep us updated! I made a pair of chinks for my husband a year ago, and ran into some complications along the way, it would be most excellent to see how you put yours together!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum