Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lavender Orp Project

+3
coopslave
BriarwoodPoultry
KathyS
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lavender Orp Project Empty Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love Orpingtons of all varieties. But I have to say most of our Lavenders here in the west seem to have a lot of room for improvement. It's a great project for someone who is willing to put in the time and dedication.
Hink-JC has been working on Lavenders for a few years now, and their website has pictures that really demonstrate the progress they have made. The photos range from 2007 to 2010. The top pictures are the most recent, and you can see the type really coming together on some of those hens and roos, as well as having that pretty pearl grey color. I would love to see this year's breeding groups!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:05 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know that WestCoast Farm has been working on the lavender type using a fantastic black orp roo over lav hens last year. This year they are breeding the splits together and getting some nicer looking lav chicks! Hurray Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

So good to hear someone is actually working on them to improve them and not just selling terrible birds for lots of money.

Good on the people doing the hard yards to improve these pretty birds!

4Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The thing that I liked and respected the most of these true breeders is that they are not letting stock go until such time that they are nearer to the actual APA standard for type. They look to working hard at and you can see the improvement over the years but still a ways to go. It will be very hard to defeat the narrow stringy feathering no matter how many times you cross to black but the black will certainty help the type.
Self Blue is a very hard color to get feather width on and I speak from exprience having self blue Old English for many years.

As Coopslave says so nice to see someone actually looking to improve and not just sell junk for color finally. Very nice site.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

5Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are stunning and glad to see someone so dedicated. I, unfortunately got drawn right in to the whole 'Lavender - oh my goodness I have to have some' - and paid $130 for a dozen eggs thinking I would at least have stunning birds in colour, feathering and type, etc. (close to the Standard anyways) and what I got was a flock of irregular sized, blue combed, birds with stringy feathering and interestingly enough a different temperament from the Buff Orps, with a couple of hens who always tried to dominate me. I was deeply disappointed, more with myself, that I bought the idea more than the reality for $130. Foolish me. And I know this has been a topic before but my untrained eyes see self-blue rather than Lavender. Just my experience and I'm not here to stir the pot and do commend those who are working on them and selling eggs for a price that reflects that they are a work in progress with a long way to go and not for $130 a dozen.

I think that was a bit of a rant and apologize if this info is not welcome. PM me Kathy if you want me to delete it.

6Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I for one think that these things need to be said. You're not naming names, but identifying values and principles.

WAY too many breeds/varieties have suddenly become the "flavour of the month" and then, as a result of everyone thinking "OMG, I just have to have some of those!" command huge prices for substandard (or worse) quality.

Example: Barnevelders used to be, well, not common, but available, and lovely birds with great egg colour, nice temperament and reasonable vigour and productivity. Then they became all the rage, and now you can't find good ones; well, at least not easily.

I've seen a few lav orps,and am glad they don't belong to me.

7Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well don't feel too badly Chicory. You certainly aren't the only one who has been attracted to an unusual color and the idea of something new and uncommon. I think it is good in a way that a 'new' variety can spark so much interest. I just feel bad for those people (like you) who don't get the quality they are expecting for those exhorbitant, hugely inflated prices. The poor lav orps have gained quite the reputation for poor quality and high prices. So, even though this is in the U.S., it is great see some much better examples of these birds being developed.

The thing is, when I saw those pictures by Hink-JC today I felt really encouraged by what they have accomplished in a few short years. No matter what breed we are working with, we can all use a boost once in a while!

ps..to both Coopslave and Chicory...I admire your boldness to just come right out and say it as it is! Good on ya! cheers

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

8Lavender Orp Project Empty Re: Lavender Orp Project Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Rare does not mean that it is good and high prices also don't mean it is high quality, something a lot of people often seem to forget. Another good example why i would never buy hatching eggs, unless i have actually seen/met the parent flock. And even then i would not expect it to be that good, but can only hope for the best. Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum