Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

impressed with egg colour

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1impressed with egg colour Empty impressed with egg colour Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just have to say how I am so impressed with the egg colour these project birds are giving me. I am so looking forward to spring to get hatching some and progressing further with them. I like their personalities, the combs have been good and I am very impressed with the egg colour with it being so early in the project. I thought that is what would give me the most trouble! See if I screw everthing up this year! Rolling Eyes

Here are the 3 girls eggs along with a Mottle Java and a WhAm egg.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2impressed with egg colour Empty Re: impressed with egg colour Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh nice to hear for sure. That is a very dark shade of brown. Good for you!! Have that incredible day, CynthiaM.

3impressed with egg colour Empty Re: impressed with egg colour Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:25 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That's some nice egg colour early in your project. Hope you can hold it well through the next generation.

http://countrythyme.ca

4impressed with egg colour Empty Re: impressed with egg colour Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice dark color! Who would have thought you would have had such success so early! What is your next step to improve color and keep the combs?

5impressed with egg colour Empty Re: impressed with egg colour Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am going back to a Marans rooster to fix the egg colour and then I will cull (sell the pullets and eat the cockerels) heavily for comb and type. Two of the best combed cockerel will stay as well as these original hens and the nicest typed pullets then I will go from there. Still not sure what feather colours I want, but they will be black and blue with the red throats to start with.

6impressed with egg colour Empty Your Project? Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Hello!
I missed it, what project are you working on?

coopslave wrote:I am going back to a Marans rooster to fix the egg colour and then I will cull (sell the pullets and eat the cockerels) heavily for comb and type. Two of the best combed cockerel will stay as well as these original hens and the nicest typed pullets then I will go from there. Still not sure what feather colours I want, but they will be black and blue with the red throats to start with.

7impressed with egg colour Empty Re: impressed with egg colour Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am working on a dark egg layer that is winter hardy. I have Partridge Chanteclers and their winter laying and winter hardiness has impressed me. I have added them to some Marans to get a smooth combed, small wattled bird that is a little tighter feathered that lays a dark egg.
I struggle with single combed birds here, especially the roosters, so really I am doing this cause I like dark eggs and want to be able to breed birds that lay them.

It is going to take me years to stabilise it all but I am very happy with the dark eggs I am getting so soon in the program. Now to stabilise type and comb and laying ability and keep that colour (or darker!!). It is fun, will have blue introduced this spring and then breeding, breeding, breeding!!

8impressed with egg colour Empty Great Project! Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 am

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Excellent project idea! Best wishes as it progresses. Looking forward to more photos.
coopslave wrote:I am working on a dark egg layer that is winter hardy. I have Partridge Chanteclers and their winter laying and winter hardiness has impressed me. I have added them to some Marans to get a smooth combed, small wattled bird that is a little tighter feathered that lays a dark egg.
I struggle with single combed birds here, especially the roosters, so really I am doing this cause I like dark eggs and want to be able to breed birds that lay them.

It is going to take me years to stabilise it all but I am very happy with the dark eggs I am getting so soon in the program. Now to stabilise type and comb and laying ability and keep that colour (or darker!!). It is fun, will have blue introduced this spring and then breeding, breeding, breeding!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum