Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pre-hatching jitters - please help!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Well I am taking the plunge. I am trying out a second hand Hovabator 1583 with large picture window top, egg turner, and circulation fan. It has only been used 7 times. Has a new thermostat and a hygrometer (measures humidity, I know what it does, just not how to spell it Embarassed )
They are asking $100 for it. What do you think about the price?

I have been collecting eggs from my birds all week and storing them in my unfinished basement at about 50F. Turning 3-4 times a day.

Am I right that the relative humidity should be 45% which is about 84F on the hygrometer? There will be a mix of standard and bantam eggs.

I'm shaking already and have only set up the incubator to warm up and practice with tonight. I will be a wreck for the 21 days of hatching!!

Any suggestions for a successful hatch. I am setting the eggs at noon on Saturday and would appreciate any and all hovabator suggestions anyone has. Tips and what not to dos.

Thanks!
Shocked

2Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:03 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hi H.H. Sounds like you are doing things well It is easier than you think. I was a wreak my first couple of hatches.I found red wine helped with the 21 days. Laughing I am not familar with a Hovabator I have Brinsea. There has been many
successful hatches with the hovabator. I have hatched bantam and standard eggs together,often the bantams hatch first. I separate the bantams from the standard chicks so they can get their fair share. KRL is an expert at bantam and standard hatchings as well as other members here.

3Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds like you have everything under control. I have never used a hygrometer so not sure what your readings should be on it.
My incubator sits around 43 % humidity during the first 18 days, I put in a wick pad and it shoots up to 55-60% for hatching, seems to work for me.
I agree with Liz if you are a wreck, take a deep breathe and a glass of wine and you will be fine. These little critters seem to know what they are doing.
I liked the idea that SchipSue did by rotating the top of her hovabator, I know the biggest issue with them was varrying temperatures affecting hatches.
And once the eggs are set try not to adjust the temperature at all, it will fluctuate some here and there but if you start adjusting it will be all over the place.
Good luck. Exclamation

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thanks everyone! I like the red wine idea!! I see what you mean about the temp Hidden. It is fluctuating between 100-102. My problem seems to be the humidity, it is way too high. 65% relative humidity.

Oops, just discovered water in both trays. Mopped it up, so let's hope the humidity stabilizes. Good thing the eggs don't go in until tomorrow.

5Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Hi,

I've being hatching eggs for a very long time. There are a few things that are very important to having a successful hatch each time and they are:

1. Make sure your incubator is clean before setting the eggs. After each hatch if possible disinfect it with bleach or Vircon. If you don't disinfect it, the bacteria will get worse and worse until your hatch will get to zero per cent. If this Hovabator has been used before, clean it!!!

2. Temperature is very critical over a 21 day period. If it is out by 1/2 a degree it will effect when the chicks hatch. 1/2 degree to low for 21 days will make chicks hatch a day late and have poor fluff on them. 1/2 to high will cause them to hatch one day earlier and may cause crooked toes. Don't rely just on one thermometer. Buy a small digital one and check and compare the temperature with the one you are using. If different, get a third one.

3. Humidity. In these parts of the country, western Canada where the RH is really low, you can never have too humidity. I have two different types of incubators and I always have extra pans of water in them. I keep my RH at 50% as much as possible. In Sportman's the pan of water is filled up every few days. The telling tale is when you candle the eggs on the 18th day. On a normal large egg the air sack should be about 1/2 inch (1cm) in depth. If the air sack is large, more then 1/5 of the egg, RH is too low. If the air sack is very small, less then 10%, then you have to much RH. Probably not a problem in Western Canada unless you keep your incubator in a humid place.

4. Turning of eggs. This the lease factor. The eggs can go a few days without turning with no effect. Same goes for stopping the turner on the 18th day. If the turner stays on the chicks will still hatch. If I have different days of hatching, I never turn off the turner. The chick hatch and fall down below and are good. The important thing is make sure the chicks walk on something that is not smooth!! If it is smooth they will wreck their eggs and get spangled eggs.

Just my experience.

http://www.c-rducks.com

6Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:47 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Thank you so much Sebas49! This was very helpful and I really appreciate you taking time to answer so thoroughly! The problem I am having now is the humidity being too high (I haven't put the eggs in yet) The hygrometer is reading 86F so I followed the Hovabator instructions and covered the water tray with tin foil to reduce the surface area evaporation. It has lowered the humidity to 84F. But that is still a relative humidity of around 49%. I heard for bantam eggs it needs to be lower, around 45% so they don't drown.

I don't feed comfortable with the water tray covered up. What if the hygrometer is wrong and I am blocking too much humidity? Should I just remove the tin foil and let the humidity stay at 86F (57% relative humidity)?

Argh!! My eggs are suppose to go in at noon today. My children have been up since early this morning "Is it time yet, I think it's time now!" I really don't want to flub this hatch.

7Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:36 am

Sebas49

Sebas49

Yes, I would uncover the water for the first week at least. After you candle the eggs you will have a better idea of the moisture level and can adjust it then. The chicks will only drown the last week when they start to move their beak towards the air sack. If the air sack is to small that is when they will drown.

http://www.c-rducks.com

8Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Empty Re: Pre-hatching jitters - please help! Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:05 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Well, SUCCESS!!!!! 26 eggs at locked down and 23 beautiful chicks! The 3 that didn't hatch were my Silkie eggs. Their shells got cracked from the other chicks playing soccer with them. Next time I will hatch in the egg carton. I also had eggs in my friend's incubator. Two of my Silkies eggs hatched from that batch. I have one really beautiful Silkie that hatched. It is not quite grey but more of the dun colour. I can't post pics yet because photobucket is down for maintenance. I think that will be a topic for another thread!

Thank you so much for all the amazing advice. It really helped a lot!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum