Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatching Issues

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatching Issues Empty Hatching Issues Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In the few years I have been hatching I just had my worst hatch ever.
It was in the -20's when I collected some of the eggs so I am sure that didn't help.
I also set a second batch one week into the hatch.
When I candled I threw at least half of the eggs out.
Then when I moved them down to hatch the bottom tray was quite full.
About half of them hatched the other half made it to just before they pipped.
Now my question is, what is going to happen to this next hatch, I raised the humidity to 60% for the three days of the hatch?
How do you big time hatchers do this, with out using a hatcher?

2Hatching Issues Empty Re: Hatching Issues Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am

duanescows

Hi Vivian. I am no big time hatcher, but wanted to say my first eggs didn't hatch either and they were in a heated building (just above zero), but I Rico still thought they got to cold and that was why they didn't hatch. It's sad when you get a chick to full term in the egg and then they don't live through the hatch. Hope your next one is better.
Duane

3Hatching Issues Empty Re: Hatching Issues Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the reply Duane, I am going to dig a little deeper to find out why they didn't pip.
Heartbreaking to throw all those eggs out with chicks that were full size.

4Hatching Issues Empty Re: Hatching Issues Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Watch for bacteria as well. If you are hatching in your incubator and also setting eggs it is hard to clean between hatchings. If you let bacteria buildup in there it will kill the chicks prior to them pipping, you can also end up with sluggish stinky chicks that do hatch.
What I have been doing it pulling the trays of eggs out after hatching, giving it a good clean with Virkon, then somewhat rinsing with a damp cloth of water, then replacing the eggs still left to incubate. Doesnt seem to harm them, they are only out for 10 min max, and I usually cover them with a cloth to keep heat in.
I have now switched to using my hatcher, makes things much easier, always have a clean incubator for the setting eggs.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Hatching Issues Empty Re: Hatching Issues Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:03 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

How were your aircells Vivian?
I was wondering if the humidity was too high and they couldn't reach the aircells.
I once had a full tray of sebrights that never made it to hatch because I think the humidity was too high and their air cells were too small for them to reach into.

I am trying this year to do my hatching in my incubator that has my duck eggs in it, as it is already high humidity in there.

Then I can keep my chicken eggs at a steady 45% for incubating.

So discouraging isn't it when they made it so far and then nothing....I hear you!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6Hatching Issues Empty Re: Hatching Issues Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The air cells seemed quite large, I opened up about six out of the thirty I threw out. Just very frustrating. I used Vircon to clean the incubator before I set the first hatch, but now the bottom has just been wiped out with a wet cloth. Wondering if I should vircon the bottom of the incubator??
Or do you think if it was a bacteria it was in or on the eggs? Has anyone ever done that dip with a Tbsp of bleach to a gallon of water? This is before they go in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum