Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is everyone hatching out right now?

+12
CynthiaM
smokyriver
appway
Echo 1
niglefritz
heda gobbler
pops coops
DCChick
islandgal99
IzzyD
Bob G
Ruffledfeathers
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What is everyone hatching out right now? Empty What is everyone hatching out right now? Sat May 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

So I have one round of eggs in the bator that will be coming up 1 week as of Monday.
Going to be setting a whole whack more here soon as well.

I will be hatching out Light, Silver, Buff, Coronation Sussex and Black Orpingtons

What are you hatching?

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I was going to have a friend incubate a dozen and a half for me. But when they went to load it up the heater was not working. Which is sad because they bought the bater new and only used it once.
So with that bad news I got a little deflated. Then 1 of my scovie hens decided to take on the challenge. So she sits on a nest of duck and chicken eggs.
I'm running a x breed this yr. Barn mutts dark cornish roosters to a bevy of buff brahma, buff orpington , mg and the odd little banty cochin that sneaks in for some lovin Wink
Then just to make it more difficult than it has to be. I have a banty hen I hatched out last summer. Trying in the most adorable way to fit her itty bitty self over a growing number of duck eggs :0

Bob G

Well I have 2 batches left to set so far 50 rir sc lg fowl 40 modern game brn reds 15 brn red oe game btms and 1 dk Cornish btm . Next 2 settings will be Cornish and RIR hope to be done by June 1st.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have been hatching cochins, large fowl, with a blue rooster over blue and black hens.  Last test in the incubator was about 65% that made it to the end and hatched.  Most of them went to day 18, but some failed somewhere around that time.  I tested fertility on 7 of the cochin eggs that were laid on one day, yes, 7-8 a day and all had the bullseye mark.  The buff orpingtons are only laYing 1 egg a day between 8 hens.  Not sure why, but they need to ramp it up.  With the last set of buff orpington it was about 40% fertility and 100% liveability, all made it to hatch that had passed the day 18ish candling.  I have set a whack more cochins and some buff orpington eggs which are due around May 17th.  I have another bunch of eggs I will be setting soon.  Hatching lots and lots of cochins.  Seems there is much more interest in the breed this year.  We all need a cochin or two, smiling that big smile. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

This is a bowl of fertile cochin eggs, look for the bullseye on the yolk, quite clear to see on a nice sunny day outside Cool
One egg had two tiny blood spots
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's all about Ameraucanas for me!  Wink

Just hatched 56 chicks out from my blue x blue pairings and got 36 blues, 6 splash and 14 blacks. Definitely got the blues happening now Laughing Woohoo!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My next batch is due on Mother's Day. Cool Happy hatching everyone!

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks all for sharing and Blue Hill Farm You know my favorite are Ameracauanas

IzzyD

IzzyD

Call ducks hatching out over here. Hatched out another 2 a couple days ago. I have 2 black East Indies ducks coming along in the incubator and a bunch more call duck eggs as well... Have my fingers crossed that the make it to the end and hatch out. I'm pretty excited.

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Lots hatching - shifted my focus to meat production this year a bit, but still some fun stuff too. I have barred rocks, a meat line I can't name, wheaten marans, barnevelders, anconas, ameraucauna, delaware eggs, green egg layers, black copper marans, magpie ducks, pekin ducks, khaki campbells, blue swedes and some crested fun ducks, buff american and pilgrim geese, sweetgrass turkeys, beltsville small whites and bronzes...and soon guineas as they've finally decided to lay. I think I've hatched out enough for my own laying pens for next year of the heritage breeds, and will be shifting to the turkeys, waterfowl and meat birds for the rest of the season unless I have chick orders.

After tasting home grown duck, turkey and goose, I want to have duck, turkey and goose on the menu here at the farm every week....and that's no lie! Not sure if it will happen, but I'm going to try..and I guess it will mean I need to get some home butchering happening.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Island Gal sounds like you have quite the operation going on out there.

I have yet to try duck, we have some barnyard crosses here that could go to the table. Just a matter of developing a craving for roast duck one night.

So many have little fuzzy butts hatching already.. I just fired another test round of Sussex and Orps into the bator Smile
Have to candle round one. Most likely wait until day 10.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:Thanks all for sharing  and Blue Hill Farm You know my favorite are Ameracauanas

Bearded birdies are the best imo. Wink are ya looking for some more appway?

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blue Hill as soon as we make the Move to Green Lake this summer we will be Looking for a few More
as they are my Favorite

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

I 'm testing out a new incubator with some RIRxBR eggs.... due on the 14th, and I have 2 dozen Buckeye chicks due on the 6th that are being custom incubated.

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just set White Chanteclers, Black/Blue Amerecauna, Barred Rock and olive eggers. And Australian spotted Ducks. 20 more days!!!

niglefritz

Waiting on partridge silkies and will be setting indian runners soon. Hopefully we can set some BCM and light brahmas this year too. They are not laying yet.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Peafowl eggs in incubator, Guineas, Black Copper Marans EOs, everything is late around here this year. The prices at auction for birds is off the wall Turkeys hit over 1000.00 a pair and other were so high

http://www.popscoops.com

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blue Slate turkeys just starting to hatch, lots of Small White Beltsville turkeys for weeks now and as many Buckeyes as I can fit in the 'bator.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

niglefritz

pops coops wrote:Peafowl eggs in incubator, Guineas, Black Copper Marans EOs, everything is late around here this year. The prices at auction for birds is off the wall Turkeys hit over 1000.00 a pair and other were so high

And we thought things were high here with rarer peacocks going for that. Everything else was sky high here too. There were only a limited amount of folks buying too. Calves here are sky high here too...600 for a day old twin calf.

City folks turned "acreage"? It's like city folks paying too much for shoes or purses.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are hatching a rainbow of Orpington varieties. Lemon Cuckoo in the incubator and buffs in the hatcher. Up next..... gold laced since the ladies are starting to lay again. Broody strike OVER! (I hope)

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I actually thought the 1000.00 for a pair of Turkeys was a misprint and it was supposed to be 100.00. No?

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

from what I heard that is what they went for
People go to that sale and start Bidding and it ends up like a Drug to them

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow, that's incredible!

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have one brinsea 380 full of partridge Chanteclers, orps of various colors, paint silkies, Breda, cream legbar, barnevelder bantam, Swedish flower, BCM, Wheaton marans, sulmtalers, a few mixed breeds, and one lonely Muscovy egg. The second brinsea will have some more orps, silkies, cream legbars, Swedish flowers and whatever else I pick up to fill it. Smile
It! Lol

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have two black cochins and one buff orpington sitting on a dozen eggs each. They are due to hatch on the 16th of this month. Also, and incubator filled with about 66 eggs of cochin and buff orpington breeds. Due the 18th. Today I am candling the incubator, will not bother with the broodie's eggs. Fertility is tested 100% with cochins and buffs last incubation results were about 40%. Hoping those buff gals pick up laying and fertility/embryo liveability. But, lazy gals, only 1 a day for quite a while, but yesterday, smiling that big smile, two eggs. So maybe, just maybe, those lazy gals are going to pick up. I find with the buff orpingtons, rarely do I even notice when they are molting. They seem to do it so gradually that they don't look like they even are, so maybe going through a molt that I am not really seeing. Funny how that goes. Now the cochins, some molt visibly, like almost baldies, others are the same as the buffs, don't really notice. Lots of babies this time I am so hoping. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:Blue Hill  as soon as we make the Move to Green Lake  this summer we will be Looking for a few More
as they are my Favorite

Sure thing! I should have some nice (extra) started stock by mid summer, so whenever you're ready, just drop me an email. Smile and good luck with your move! Green Lake is beautiful country. Very Happy

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And holy smokes...$1000 for a pair of turkeys! Shocked Wow. Seems like poultry prices are through the roof everywhere this year. Craziness!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum