Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pd $35 for bad hatching eggs - what to do?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pd $35 for bad hatching eggs - what to do? Empty Pd $35 for bad hatching eggs - what to do? Sat May 07, 2011 12:50 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Paid $ 35 for the one doz and then additional $20 for packaging and postal. So after one week in bator, 5 out of 7 cochin eggs had red ring, and the 2 that are growing have so many blood spots, that it looks like they will eventually get red ring too. The maran eggs are too dark to tell what is going on inside. Last hatch from different breeder was excellent, only 2 out of 48 eggs had red ring. Currently hatching 6 jersy giant eggs for friend, have not lost one of those yet and they are due next tuesday. Point is, I feel confidant that it is not my bator, but the eggs that are the problem. Should I contact the seller at this point?

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

You should contact the seller and just let them know but you have to keep in mind that shipping eggs is a risk. When eggs are shipped they are handled very roughly which could account for them not developing.

Did you break one open and look for the bulls eye?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

If an egg red rings that means they were fertile.
Why they red ring is the issue, was it shipping that was too hard on them, was storage not right, was there a bacterial infection?
I would contact the seller to let them know, but like PC says shipping eggs has a lot of bad effects on them and all most people will guarantee is fertility and it sounds like they were fertile just had other issues?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

My first batches of eggs this spring were very poor hatch, that has never happened to me, The later shippments were good but not great and the last few shippments were fantastic I had 18 JG that looked like it was going to be a bad hatch and all but one hatches as well as the LS and the BLRW and the BV all hatched, I have 30 JG in the brooder as of last night should hatch today or tomorrow, all look good.

http://www.popscoops.com

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Hidden River wrote:If an egg red rings that means they were fertile.
Why they red ring is the issue, was it shipping that was too hard on them, was storage not right, was there a bacterial infection?
I would contact the seller to let them know, but like PC says shipping eggs has a lot of bad effects on them and all most people will guarantee is fertility and it sounds like they were fertile just had other issues?

I agree totally. I don't think you can blame it on the seller in this case, all those blood rings means something started to grow. Did you candle on arrival?, Did they have detatched air cells? That will lower the hatch if they didn't get to sit 24 hours.

$20 shipping is suspiciously cheap. How long were they in the mail? Having them shipped by regular 5-7 day mail is not a savings as your results are typical. It means the eggs are both older and at the mercy of the PO for longer. With shipping in the mail there are factors neither buyer or seller can know about and it makes it hard to be sure the source of the problem, but the rooster is not it for sure Wink Distance can have an effect on hatch rate, closer better, but not always.

Candling dark eggs-do in pitch black room with bright light and tilt the pointy end up as the fat end sits on the light, rotate it carefuly and you will see a light line there and air cell at an oblique angle. If a very fuzzy line or no line, mark as ? and check after another week. The darkest eggs you can see at 18 days if not before. Check there is that line. As long as nothing is cracked or stinky they are OK to leave just in case.

I just re-read and remember reading somewhre (Uno?) that they may not hatch with blood spots. Did they have blood spots in the eggs when they arrived or was it some kind of embryo growth that came later? The 6 eggs you are hatching for a friend, were they mailed?

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum