Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Goslings are Hatching!!!

+6
HigginsRAT
Hidden River
CynthiaM
SerJay
BriarwoodPoultry
Schipperkesue
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My first gosling hatch, day 31! I am so ecksited! So are they like ducks? Does it take them sometimes a couple days to completely break free? Tell me quick so I know to keep my hands off of them!

I can't imagine how wonderful they will be! Are they really squishy?

2My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OH NO!!! They grow into geese you know!!!!!!

I'm not sure exactly how long they take to hatch, the ones I hatched were ignored when they were hatching as I was out of town, but my dad apparently helped one out after it was 'stuck' for about 18 hrs. I can't speak to how stuck it was or wasn't, but my dad wholeheartedly felt he saved it's life Smile Our incubator has a hard time keeping humidity up for hatching so its possible.

They are so delightfully snuggly and squishy, I'm so jealous. I was hatching the goose eggs for a friend last year, so they hatched and moved out soon after.. sigh..

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm no help at all sorry. I'm so very jealous of you though!

4My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:59 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Soft, squishy, beautiful little goslings, lucky you!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

5My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:OH NO!!! They grow into geese you know!!!!!!

Oh no they won't! They are going to be housepets! At least the ducks were until they became just too messy.

I am looking forward to seeing if they imprint. The idea of a flock of squishy, snuggly little goslings really appeals to me!

6My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue geese can take an incredibly long time from pip to hatch, DO NOT HELP!, HANDS OFF!, LOL
I would say my geese take anywhere from 24-36 hours from pip to hatch at the longest, sometimes they pip and hatch within a couple hours, but I did try to help when I was new to geese and it was not good. They pip then absorb their yolks so do not open the eggs prematurely.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

7My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

GEESE SCARE ME!

I have no interest, pets, not pets.
What Tara just posted tells me my instincts are correct.

GEESE SCARE ME!

9My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never fear Tara, I want the goslings to fit in with the rest of their flock. I am joking about geese housepets. Can you imagine the stink?

Thank-you, Hidden! That is just the encouragement I need. Hands off shall be my motto.

Coopie, they are only hissy when they are breeding (at least mine are.) Sometimes I will pretend I am scared of them and run away crying crocodile tears. They take a lot of satisfaction in driving me away. Most of the time they are sweeties. However there WAS the time they trapped Doug in the barn and took turns biting him.....

10My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote: However there WAS the time they trapped Doug in the barn and took turns biting him.....

Shocked

11My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My pilgrims are great geese, they do "hiss" but never bite or chase. The chinese are a bit different, the brown chinese we have respect us and for the most part just hiss and drop their heads, but occasionally would give chase in breeding season to the kids. But we keep them locked away now during breeding season so they can just be themselves.
The white chinese my father in law has have no respect at all, they will "goose you" whenever they can, give chase, and man oh man you do not want to be anywhere near them when they have a baby...

12My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I figured I would have to sell them after that little episode and even had a buyer all set up. But when I told Doug I was selling them he had a fit and insisted I keep them.

Don't you all wish you had a hubbie like mine? What a guy!

13My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ooooh! Two of the three have little holes through the shell and are breathing and peeping!

14My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a rather imperious brown chinese gander. He goose steps about, his chin lifted so high that he is bracticly on his tippy toes! I love the way he oogles people with one distainful eye. He hisses but also comes up to damand his treats. I like him because if I bring in goslings he dashes over and rounds them up, claiming them as his own.

15My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, that was last night, now what about this morning? Out? Why on earth don't you get a new computer, smiling that big smile. You are driving me nuts with your spelling mistakes, now fear that thought!! This is a cool thing to hear about the squishy baby babies!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

16My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

what breed of geese are they Sue?
And do tell us how they are hatching, we love to know! Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

17My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Morning Report:

They are Toulouse. All 3 are started. the initial 2 have little holes to breathe and the last one has a pip but no hole yet.

I turn them again this afternoon around 3. I will have another look. What if they haven't made progress? Those shells are really tough!

18My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Why are you turning them still Sue?

19My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pictures! We want pictures once they've hatched!

20My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:45 am

coopslave wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote: However there WAS the time they trapped Doug in the barn and took turns biting him.....

Shocked

I am laughing hard
All alone here at my desk.
Now I want some geese.

21My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:Why are you turning them still Sue?

Oops, sorry, not so clear! I have 3 different stages of goose hatch in that incubator. I open 3 times a day to turn the younger eggs, then give the bator a good misting and close it back up.

I have 3 breathing holes now. The goslings have made no attempt to break any more shell. The shell is really hard. I want to help just a little! They first ppped 24 hours ago. I am scared to lose them! Tell me to keep my hands off... or not!

22My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well it is a whole different game when you start opening the bator during hatching. If the holes look sunk in and dry then you might want to look at helping, but I would still wait if it was me.

23My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, they look a little dry. I will have another look tonight. See if there is any headway.

24My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'd quit turning the other eggs for the couple days you need to hatch these ones because if geese are anything like ducks they need lots of humidity and opening the lid is going to shrink wrap those babies in. It nearly killed me to watch and not help my ducks last year but when I did open the door to help I doomed the other eggs and I learned my lesson. Do not open but if you do spray water then be careful not to get water around the opening or the water in their nostrils can drown them Sad

25My Goslings are Hatching!!! Empty Re: My Goslings are Hatching!!! Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sadly, the first two hatched and I put them in the brooder but I suspect I had a temperature spike and it killed them. pale Perhaps not. They were pretty weak but looked OK ar first.

The remaining one hatched after and I will keep it in the incubator overnight.

I sure hate the hard lessons in raising poultry but at least I am having better luck than the geese did last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum