Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heritage Meat Chicken Trial

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

In our search to find an alternative to the hatchery raised meat chickens that we could raise from the egg to the freezer, we bought 25 Dark Cornish, 10 White Red Cornish and 25 Delaware chicks from McMurrays. Five Black Cochins pullets and 5 Gold Laced Wyandottes roosters were included with the order for our established breeds. We picked them up in Washington on July 9th which at now makes them just under 3 months of age. We had 2 Black Cochins die within 24 hours of deleivery and received a credit for these. One Black Cochin, one Dark Cornish and 4 Delawares died in for unexplained reasons late in August.

At present they are an active and healthy flock. So far the Delawares appear to be the largest with the Dark Cornish are next. The White Laced Red Cornish are disappointly small. The Wyandotte roosters are larger. I have not weighed any of these and I'm just going on appearance. The Cornish are hard feathered which may make them appear smaller. The Delawares were the first chickens developed as a broiler.

2Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Years ago we crossed wyandottes with the dark cornish
and ended up with birds larger than both breeds.
We were very excited until a cougar helped himself
to most of them.
The BLRW roosters I have this year are much
bigger than the Ameraucana's and the Brahma x Ameraucana's

3Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

When you go to butcher Survior I would definately be interested in which you find the best chicken to be as far as size and quality.
We are looking to fill some meat orders with some heritage birds next year and so doing what I could this year to select for the biggest, most hardy birds in a few of my breeds I raise. Definately would add another breed in my program if they proved to be great meat type birds.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi
Do you have any updated pics of the Delawares?
What age are you going to Butcher?
I also am interested in the results on them
I am getting a quad of them as soon as I go get them lol
I really like the breed and they say they are good to cross with others to bulk them up
Thanks
Joe

5Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't have any recent photos, but will try to get some with my difficult camera. We are planning to butcher at 5 months.

6Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting and love to hear this kind of stuff. The heaviest youngster that I ever had was a cockerel, which was a cross (accidentally) of a blue cochin hen and a gold laced wyandotte rooster. That was one really heavy, heavy bird. He went to my Sister's home and one day was gone. Just gone. I think that a coyote got him, sigh. Too bad. I really think that would have been a most lovely bird for the table. Too bad he never grew out enough to get to the table, that was the intention for him. He was beautiful. Looked like a black cochin with a rose comb. I find it interesting how the white laced red cornish are not that big, maybe too pretty to grow up, focusing on feathers, not weight Razz . One day I would like to make some crosses, destined for the freezer. Still think buckeye over buff orpington would make mass. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

7Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:28 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi
Do you have any updated pics of the Delawares?
What age are you going to Butcher?
I also am interested in the results on them
I am getting a quad of them as soon as I go get them lol
I really like the breed and they say they are good to cross with others to bulk them up
Thanks
Joe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

8Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Empty Re: Heritage Meat Chicken Trial Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Growth looks real good
cant wait to hear weights when you butcher
nice looking
Thank you fo rposting
Joe

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: