Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Skunk in the hen house

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Skunk in the hen house Empty Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well i went to let the hens out for the day and there it was, a skunk. I quickly closed the door and got the gun, patiently waited on the other side of the fence (in case it had rabies). I waited for ever and nothing, so i went into an adjoining room to see what it was doing. It was sleeping soundly with no cares in the world. Long story short, I shot it Very Happy . I will take pic's after the air clears, it is pretty rank out there at the moment. Good think I have a screen door on the hen house so i can leave the solid door open tonight.

Last week i found one of my Lavender D'Uccle hens killed in her tractor, something grabbed in threw the wire killing her as they tried to get her out. I am thinking it was a skunk. Unfortunately i am sure there are more than this one because while this one was locked in the hen house something dug threw the garbage and had my feed bags everywhere. Evil or Very Mad

2Skunk in the hen house Empty Re: Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good shooting, can't imagine the stench in your hen house. YUCK.
Are you sure you do not have a raccoon around though? Feed sacks scattered about and dug in the garbage, along with something pulling your hen through the mesh, sounds to me like a critter that likes to use their hands, like a raccoon.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Skunk in the hen house Empty Re: Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well done!

I am going to agree with Hidden about the raccoon. It sure is what that sounds like to me.

4Skunk in the hen house Empty Re: Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very well could be a raccoon, there does seem to be a lot of them around this area right now. lots of dead on the side of the road.

I think i will sit out there tonight and see what is lurking Very Happy

5Skunk in the hen house Empty Re: Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Eww! Wanna borrow my trap lol? I shot five this summer. Each time I disn't get sprayed and yet the smell hung in the back of my throat for a day or two after. After the fourth one I contemplated just letting it go so I didn't stink!

6Skunk in the hen house Empty Re: Skunk in the hen house Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

it was a big one, must of eaten a lot of eggs!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum