Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Owl in the Hen house.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Owl in the Hen house. Empty Owl in the Hen house. Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

DLC

I went out at 8 pm to water the turkey hens who are in a house with some chickens so they are seperate from the Toms. I opened the door and to my surprise what do I see but a horned owl sitting on one of my Red laced white bantam cornish. Shocked to say the least. The owl had 6 dead chickens it could'nt just kill one and eat it. I lost speckled sussex Blue splash marans bantam cornish and ameraucaunas. But the Turkeys were all in the rafters or hidden in the corners of the building. We found one turkey outside the next day hidden in a truck topper. I guess I know where my rabbits have been going. So if there is a bright side he did not kill any turkey hens. Also he could have showed up after I had done my chores and would have all night to kill birds. Who says wild animals only kill when they are hungry,I rate owls up there with the raccoons nothing but vermin. The owl got in a broken window but went out the door and headed to the happy hunting grounds.

2 Owl in the Hen house. Empty Re: Owl in the Hen house. Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry about your loss Crying or Very sad We've never had an owl get in our hen house but I did see one come up and sit in the tree right beside the coop last summer just about dusk. So I know that he's keeping an eye on things. I didn't know how much damage an owl would until now. Yikes! Glad he went to happy hunting ground!

3 Owl in the Hen house. Empty Re: Owl in the Hen house. Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 am

DLC

They must be hungry as one attempted to take a poodle in the village. The dog was just all scratched up but otherwise fine. The owner was shocked to say the least. It must be a down cycle for there normal prey. I have not seen a wild rabbit all winter that could explain the brazen attitude.

4 Owl in the Hen house. Empty Re: Owl in the Hen house. Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:46 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The last couple of years have been easy winters and I think this one has hit hard (around here anyway). Heard of a case not too far from me where coyotes killed a deer right in a guy's backyard. Chased it on his deck and everything.

Last night, while doing the animals, the dogs kept barking at something. Not unusual for the Cocker but the Aussie hardly ever does that. Packed it in and left the birds for this morning. Wasn't concerned for myself but figured that I'd never be fast enough to stop something grabbing the Cocker.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum