Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We had a Skunk!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1We had a Skunk! Empty We had a Skunk! Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well we had our first skunk of the season, looks like she was starting a nest. I have smelled skunk very weak for the last couple days but today was very strong under our brooder building. So tonight after chores, in the dark, there hubby and I are with the 4-10 shotgun and a spot light. We got her, but man the stench that came out, I have showered and swear I still smell like skunk, and that was just a drift of it, cant imagine getting a full blown spray. YIKES! But at least we get her before she got momma duck and her soon to hatch eggs that were in the skid right beside her.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2We had a Skunk! Empty Re: We had a Skunk! Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did you shoot it while it was under the building or did you get it on it's way out for the night? We have skunks under our original coop and I keep trying to trap it to no avail. Long term solution is to raise the building two feet above ground.

3We had a Skunk! Empty Re: We had a Skunk! Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:56 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

NO we shot it right under the building. Hubby says they like to come out around 2 am, and we didnt want to wait up for that. We have had sucess trapping them before, but because it was there and we could get it we did.
Hubby then has a snare of sorts that fishes the body out and we dispose of it, most likely will do that after work today.

4We had a Skunk! Empty Re: We had a Skunk! Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 am

honeybrook

honeybrook

Good thing you got the skunk before she did any damage or reproduce you wouldn’t need that many skunks around and yes dose it every stink for a while after you shoot one we shot a couple this spring and I swear you can still smell it once in a while

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

5We had a Skunk! Empty Re: We had a Skunk! Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:23 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Last summer we had a crazy skunk that wandered around at 7:30pm when all the children were running around and playing. Our dogs got hit 3 times last year. Twice while walking on leash with my husband. One dog got it right in the mouth, poor guy. It was dark and my husband thought it was our cat (our cat use to go for a walk with the dogs). They were all very stinky for a very long time pale

6We had a Skunk! Empty Re: We had a Skunk! Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes our Jack Russell got it good last year as well, our LGD was just a pup so didnt know the ways of the world yet, and so our JRT figured he was the one to guard the place. Well he got it full blown in the mouth, eyes up the nose, and was yellow. I couldnt stand to be near him, the puppy thought it was fun to chase him while he was trying to wipe off his face. And of course the JRT kept coming to me to help him out, and I wanted nothing to do with him, LOL. He just didnt understand why momma wouldnt help him.
Well he got a cold hose bath, then tomato juice, Peroxide with baking soda scrub and still had to spend almost 2 weeks completey outdoors...He has learned his lesson now and backs off.
Hoping out LGD will clue in to keep them out of here, our last dog was great about that, he would get sprayed at least 2 times a year but he did his job and cut them off before they got to the buildings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum