Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

fox got in the chicken house

+5
chickeesmom
Hidden River
blackdove
Amy
honeybrook
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1fox got in the chicken house Empty fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 am

honeybrook

honeybrook

wouldn't you know the one night everyone was to busy to remember to shut the chicken house up a stupid fox got in and you know what happened next we found feathers everywhere this mornning followed them to an old grain bin so will go back latter today and see what we can do.

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

2fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:40 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh no!
My neighour called the other day to tell me they seen a fox with a chicken near their house, it was my chicken Sad They are all in lock up for now Sad

3fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 am

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have lost a few birds recently too. I think it may be a fox... or maybe a coyote. It happened in the daylight too. Not sure how my lab missed it. It is so frustrating. All my other birds are locked up. I hope this is the end of the attacks. Sad

4fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 am

honeybrook

honeybrook

I don’t mind foxes and generally don’t worry about getting rid of them because they are good rodent control but coming into my yard and killing chickens is crossing the line. I would like to know what our livestock gardian dog was doing i asked her but she is not saying Very Happy

5fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:55 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear they got into your hen house and killed some of your birds. It is a busy time of year for the foxes with little ones to feed now, so we need to be very careful.
Our LGD has been very busy lately, up all night. And we almost lost our Jack Russell to coyotes this weekend, he was out gopher hunting and was unaware he was being hunted himself. My hubby was cleaning the corrals, came around the corner to see two coyotes heading right towards him, not more than 20 ft away. He yelled and made our Jack come back, too close of call. And where was the LGD? Sleeping at the house of course. Evil or Very Mad
So we are on the watch now, all birds are locked up at night, sheep get to go out in short lengths but are locked up in their pen at night.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 pm

honeybrook

honeybrook

Just came in from looking under the bin 2 adults and 2 pups now i have to fugure out the best way to get rid of them wasnt counting on there being more than 1

7fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow yes that is not good, 2 adults and 2 pups will eat a lot of chickens now they have had a meal.
They are pretty sneaky about trapping as well.
I hate to say it but sometimes shooting them is the only way.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow the foxes are busy, I also have been hit, of course the oldest chicks that I have, they are on the floor and that is what is got, not sure how many.
My son shot the male two days ago, now the female and pups will really be hungry. They are living over at my neighbours place under an old house. They think it is quite fun to see the fox out playing with threir dogs!!!
It came in the middle of the day, I was just leaving home and it came right up a trail along the spruce trees, saw me and took off.
It got the birds at night, clawed threw a little hole that I didn't even see, under a door jam, the 2x4 is about three inches short, oh good Lord they are sneaky characters..
So everyone is on lock up, what a shame when it is so green out there.

9fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 pm

honeybrook

honeybrook

we couldn't figure out how to trap them either so we decided to shoot them go 3 the mother got away hopefully she will be scared enough to just keep going just the same beter not forget the door again. looks like they got a few guinea hens also judging by the feathers.

10fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you got 3 of them, sorry for your loss.

11fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear about that honeybrook. I've got to get out and secure our fencing better. So far, we've been really fortunate. We're just so darn busy and haven't got to doing it yet. Thankfully we don't have foxes but the racoons and skunks could get in to the fenced area at this point if they tried. Luckily their night predators so I'm quick to lock up at night and slow to open in the morning right now.

Hey Hidden, sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but what kind of LGD do you have again? You can PM me.

12fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear of your fox troubles. Hope that female is long gone. Having to shoot such beautiful animals is a hard thing to do, but necessary to protect your flock. Our chickens must rely on us for their safety, so it is our duty to do what we can to protect them.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13fox got in the chicken house Empty Re: fox got in the chicken house Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ I totally agree- our birds depend on us for protection and sometimes that means doing things we normally don't like to do. I think we may have a mama fox with young living somewhere close by because we've seen them in the fields a few times now. Talk about a constant source of stress. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum