Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First skunk of the fall

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First skunk of the fall Empty First skunk of the fall Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well after this spring the dog has been doing a good job of keeping the skunks at bay, but tonight as I locked all the birds up I smelled a strong odor...Went into the cat shed where the kids feed the cats and sure enough there was a skunk hiding in the corner under the chicken plucker...Came in and got hubby (I am still not very good with a gun in small spaces) and he got him. So letting the smell clear the air tonight and I will dispose of him tomorrow. Hopefully the dog will step it up and keep them away from now on.
Just glad no animals were harmed by this fellow.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2First skunk of the fall Empty Re: First skunk of the fall Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good job getting it! I had been smelling a "not quite skunk" smell for a few days and then nothing. I set traps anyway and still didn't catch anything. Yesterday I found a very mangled pack rat under my boat....good kitties! I looked inside an unused chicken coop and sure enough pack rat poop. Hopefully it was the only one.

No skunks yet.....yet.

3First skunk of the fall Empty Re: First skunk of the fall Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm

cbrookkelly wrote:I had been smelling a "not quite skunk" smell for a few days and then nothing.

Well you know what they say about the Kootenays. Razz Or is that just the west Koots? Wink

4First skunk of the fall Empty Re: First skunk of the fall Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:57 am

Well after I caught the raccoon that had killed off a bunch of my laying hens I thought that I would reset the live trap and sure enough I ended up catching three skunks ? Only one ended up spraying a little bit ( ended up drowning that sucker ! ) and that was my fault that it did ! I should have watered it down first and then carried it to gas it ! O well I 'll know better for next time ...........if they can lift the tail then water them down first !!

5First skunk of the fall Empty Re: First skunk of the fall Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well my hubby says if you get a clear shot right to the brain they will not spray either, and for about a half a minute while we observed this guy no spray, then the body twitched and out it came. YUCK! So we high tailed it out of there.
Now it was up to me to remove the body this am, pitch fork in hand and off on the quad, that bugger was heavy! But got him far away now and hopefully that shed will air out. I had to rewash all my clothes and myself after that, amazing how that stench can stick to a person.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6First skunk of the fall Empty Re: First skunk of the fall Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am

If you could have soaked him down he wouldn't have sprayed Mad They can't lift there tails up when they are wet ? seems nature gave them a ligt weight tail for quick responce ,put with all the hair on it ?? to heavy to lift up wet .........so no sprying .....LOL... Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum