Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OMG! There are chickens in my coop!

+6
happychicks
ipf
Schipperkesue
heda gobbler
HigginsRAT
silkiebantam
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:34 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's right. Chickens in my coop.

2 Chickens to be percise.

This was not my plan. The plan was to wait until spring and only bring in hatchery or hatching eggs (then treat eggs) , to try and reduce the chance of disease. No more bringing birds from other farms to mine.

But now I have a hen and a rooster as we speak, sleeping on their roosts. They are just barn yard X's. Both are pretty, and the roo has extra hind toes. They're still young with the roo just recently starting to crow and the little girl has yet to lay an egg.

Last night my husband came home with a pair of chickens for me. I know he did this because he is trying to cheer me up, as I am still struggling with what happened this spring.

As soon as I seen the chickens, I burst into tears. Then I felt bad, because I know he is trying to do something nice.

I gave the chickens a good looking over. There's no bugs or signs of bugs on them, legs are good and clean, their color looks good, bums clean and they seem over all healthy. Although I am wondering about the hens eyes. While they look clear and no bubbles, you can see the white tissue ring just about all the way around them and I find my self asking "Is that normal?". I'll take a picture maybe later this morning and post it.

Anyways, Now I have these chickens and he want's me to keep them over winter, just so I have something (Or he said that HE would keep them and they would be his chickens, if I didn't want them.) I think that 2 chickens isn't enough to over winter as they will need to cuddle up to keep warm. Recently I was offered a Trio of White Cochins (which I turned down because I was not going to be getting grown birds), and now I'm wondering if I might as well take the white cochins too. I could keep them over the winter and watch them very, very closely.... But I don't know if I should.

I have been up most of the night, then woke of at 4 this morning agonizing over it.

I still can't believe there are chickens in my coop. affraid

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

2OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:16 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree! You are lucky to have such a sweet and thoughtful husband!

Life (and especially chicken life) is full of joy and sorrow, hatching and death, beaks and feathers. Embrace it!

I like the idea of White Cochins!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:49 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

5OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks.

I could hardly resist going out there in my housecoat this morning.

The kids will be really excited when they come back from camping and see what is in the coop. I think even the Grumpy Cat is happy. He was sitting in front of the chicken house door this morning when I looked out. He hasn't done that since this spring. (He always used to hang out with the chickens).

My husband says most people go on pills when they are depressed. I get chickens. Shocked He just wanted to make me happy.

So what sort of mix would guesses be? They have yellow legs, and the roo has extra hind toes. There is no sign of feathers on the legs or feet. Single Combs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Perhaps I was being parinoid last night about the eyes. I had another look at them this morning and they didn't look near as bad. Both the hen and roo have the same thing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Heda, I'm not normally partial to white chickens, but there is something beautiful about a big white cochin. I've had a name picked out for a big white Roo since this spring... I've just been dying to use it!

6OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe Dorking in the boy, I wouldn't worry about the eyes.

What is the name?

7OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The roo looks like an ISA brown male ("leaky" white with red showing through).

8OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hmmmm.... ISA Brown.... interesting. There is a lady in our area who sells ISA's and EE's and I was going to message her and see if she sold chickens to the person my husband got these from and ask about it.... do a little researching. But then there is the extra toes. Was wracking my brain earlier to try and think of breeds with the exta toes, Dorkings slipped my mind.

I was thinking of calling the Dude, Ferguson. But if he has Dorking... maybe Dorkus? lol I don't know. To be honest, I don't really want the roo around long term. He isn't something I would want to breed. So for now he's a pet. He does have a nice crow though.

Should ISA Brown Roo's be all white? (I've never seen an Isa brown rooster).

9OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:34 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

10OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Houdans have extra toes as well.
I have an ISA brown roo (I got him for his egg production genes) and he looks an awful lot like your roo. In theory ISA boys they are white, but since they are heterozygotes the gene is leaky. Some show more, some less, red.

11OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:45 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

White cochins - like a big stuffed animal you'd win at the fair - love 'em.

So all right all ready, what name have you chosen for the white cochin rooster??

Now you've got chickens you might as well get those cochins too...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

12OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:54 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

13OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The big boy looks a lot like the golden comets roosters we used to have way back when I was a little bitty child. Pretty much the same as Isa Browns, I believe. He's beautiful - takes on a trip back memory lane. LOL The hen is pretty too. So glad for you! I do understand your nervousness about picking up disease as we've gone through the whole gamut of emotion here over the last few years what with buying in a bird with ILT and losing the whole flock then going through another mess with Marek's disease a couple summers ago but we can sometimes get too paranoid after those bad experiences. They look healthy and act healthy so just enjoy them!! Very Happy I really like them - so pretty!

14OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think, Silkie, this was a peace offering. Humbly made. To patch things. To place a smile on your face and beating hearts in your chicken pen. They might not be the flock of your dreams but they will appreciate your hospitality and reside proudly in your hen house.

Keep them. Smile at them. Watch for an egg. I am happy for you.

15OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:06 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:I think, Silkie, this was a peace offering. Humbly made. To patch things. To place a smile on your face and beating hearts in your chicken pen. They might not be the flock of your dreams but they will appreciate your hospitality and reside proudly in your hen house.

Keep them. Smile at them. Watch for an egg. I am happy for you.
How do you manage to hit the nail on the head so many times Uno.... I agree completely Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

16OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm very glad you have chickens again. I cannoyt help you with White Cochins, but I have a few extra Black Cochin roosters down here and owe a Black Cochin pullet to Westcoastmama. We're going to need a ride for the pullet and a rooster might be able to travel along. You could have the rooster instead of the eggs I promised.

17OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well girl, that brought that beautiful smile to my face this morning, as I sat and listened to you and the comments made to you. Oh Silkie, happy Silk, but a little affeared Silkie....do you realize how much your Husband loves you? Do you realize how badly, deep inside he must have felt from the horror you went through this spring? I am sure you do. For a man to bring home a gift of prozac to you, such as these two birds, that is pure and clear love, from deep in the heart. He knows what makes you happy, and you are a fortunate woman, and I am sure you know that.

One, one potato, two potato, three potato, four....these birds will bring you pleasures beyond your relief, and bring you back to that happy place where you lived so beautifully, before disaster struck. Take your time, I would too get a few more for wintertime, birds create warmth, get those cochins. Honestly, I think the likelihood of horrible things rearing their heads again are slim, bring on those three white cochins, and relax in a puffy bit of fluffy chicken heaven. And then you can really say "have you squeezed your cochin today" . this is a happy day. That white of the eye. Ignore it. It is what it is and all chickens that I have seen have it, smiling. Beautiful day wishes to you Silkie and to us all, CynthiaM.

18OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm so happy to have the chickens! And so excited to be getting the Cochins. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a way to get the Cochins to Terrace, but he will make a trip to Terrace and can bring them to me. I'm beyond excited. Turns out that a couple years ago I had sold him one of the cochins at a sale, so she will be my own bird coming back home to me.

When I get them, I'll have to post a picture and give the name of the Roo. I'm so excited to be getting a Cochin Roo.

It's funny how things turn out. I had composed a message to the gentleman turning down the cochins, but hadn't sent it out yet. Then, my husband comes home with these birds and says you might as well get the cochins since we have these here. They can be in quarenteen (Why can I never spell that word?) over winter, and we can watch for any sign of illness. This way if we see anything and need to get rid of them, it wont be such a large number of birds, but yet I have something to keep my spirits up. It's almost like the cochins were meant to be.

It was nice to be back in the routine of going out before bed to tuck the chickens in. I've been missing that.

They're not used to being handled and are stand offish, refusing treats, but it gives me a challenge to win them over.

My coop is divided into 2 sections one is larger and the other is only 8X8 so they can winter in the smaller part to stay warmer. I had plans to paint the 8X8 section, so I guess I had better get on that. At first I was actually really scared when he brought them here and a little stressed. But now I'm just really excited. It's amazing how feathers can lift the spirits.

19OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Rosewood, thank you so much for the offer. For now, I'm going to try and keep the numbers and roosters down. I do appreciate the offer though.

20OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Silkie, you made my nose get runny, kind of teary eyed right now. I picture the happiness you are feeling as you tuck in your chickens for the night, goodnight little ones, we'll see you in the bright blue morning. I still tremble over the ordeal that you went through this year, it hurt my heart so much. We all know how much you loved your birds, that always shone through as you made your fingers tell us the stories of your life. Awesome....you will again have a few to make those days all worth getting up for. Where would the world be without these things that just make us full of love. I know. I love (and of course, so many of us do) my chickens too. They are my babies and my prides and joys!! They deserve me and you to take care of our little broods, chicken mammas, just the best of the best. Now too, you have somewhere to put the kitchen scraps too, smiling that big smile. Bring on the chickens!! And Silkie, soon you will be hugging your cochins and squeezing them too! Happy days again shall reign in your land. I don't know why some words are hard to remember to spell, I have a couple too. Watch, I will help to imprint in your mind how to spell quarantine!! Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

quarantine
Quarantine
quarantine
Quarantine
quarantine
Quarantine
quarantine
Quarantine

(think of turpentine)
ine
ine
ine
ine
ine
ine

not quaranteeeeeeen

but

quarantine

Hows that for ya? I was really good at writing things out a hundred times in grade school, I did some bad things that needed repetition Shocked Razz didn't matter, I loved to write and still do to this day, I have a lovely pen hand, probably because I had to write so many lines!!

21OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:20 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

22OMG!  There are chickens in my coop! Empty Re: OMG! There are chickens in my coop! Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
CynthiaM wrote:Hows that for ya? I was really good at writing things out a hundred times in grade school, I did some bad things that needed repetition Shocked Razz didn't matter, I loved to write and still do to this day, I have a lovely pen hand, probably because I had to write so many lines!!

Wrote lines...like what...Bart Simpson...Cynthia had to write lines...how BAD was this woman???

Well, Tara the Terrible. I was a nose picker!! So, now how does that rock your socks, smiling that big smile. You can believe this or not, and oh, oh, I know....I liked to stick my tongue out at teachers, better? I will never divulge how bad I really was, smiling that huge smile.

Now Silkie back to you. How are you feeling, happier and happier and happier. True happiness comes when you let out the birdies in the morning and tuck them in a nite. Bet you are feeling very fulfilled. More to come as the spring comes on, and that ain't that far away, Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum