Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So I went to my coop to get a hen....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1So I went to my coop to get a hen.... Empty So I went to my coop to get a hen.... Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was contacted by a girl who is being home schooled. She would like 3 hens for a summer project, they would come back once the weater turned cold. So I said sure, I have a few crossbred hens floating around here and some less than stellar cochin girls... this will be no problem.

So, I went out to the coop to catch three pretty laying hens and looked and looked and looked.... and came to realize that my lovely collection of birds, is predominantly roosters... lots and lots of roosters..... like LOADS of roosters!!!! omg, I would say that I have about 20 roosters and about 10 hens. This does not include my "breeding flock" of Whaite Chanties, 4 girls adn a boy, or the youn chantie and cornish chicks I have out in the brooding tractors.

Something is very wrong with this picture, especially as my boys all get along rather well and we have very little crowing.

Oh,and,
my Guineas... 3 boys
my geese... 5 boys and 2 girls
my turkeys... 3 boys and 4 girls
my rabbits... 2 bucks and 1 doe
my peacock.... a boy

And I have one girl duck.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Shocked that sucks...... sad thing is i can never cecoup money off the roos..you basicaly feed them to give them away...or eat them yourselfs....

guess your gonna have to buy some hens at wetaskiwin Smile

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had a year like that last year - actually calculated that I hatched about 70% roos in all. But this year is totally different. We have at least 50% pullets if not a little more. Strange! Don't know why one year is so different than another - but dem's da breaks I guess Shocked

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I seem to be getting more pullets this year too. I heard lots of people saying last year was rooster-heavy. I wonder if there are trends like that? Or just coincidence? Question

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

well Im not hatching anything this year. I lent out my brinsea and IM taking a year off hatching, although it is suuuper hard. I need some supersized Buckeye hens, maybe a couple of other breeds too. I will be shopping at the June sale.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum