Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recycled Coops

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Recycled Coops Empty Recycled Coops Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Recycled Coops Empty Re: Recycled Coops Fri May 20, 2011 9:03 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love looking at all these inventive ways to house chickens. Some people have great imaginations (and some have a lot of extra time I'm thinking.) Wink

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Recycled Coops Empty recycled coops Sat May 21, 2011 4:08 am

jocelyn

Ours are in a school bus, does that count too, grin?
We have woven wire welded over the windows so I can open them without opening the buffet table for the raccoons. The birds free range in the day time, but need something really secure at night.

4Recycled Coops Empty Re: Recycled Coops Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How cool Jocelyn! I'd love to see pics sometime. Smile I've been looking for an old camper trailer for what seems like forever to make myself a mobile coop, but havn't had much luck.

5Recycled Coops Empty clucker academy Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 am

jocelyn

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6Recycled Coops Empty inside of their bus Sat May 21, 2011 8:57 am

jocelyn

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

7Recycled Coops Empty Re: Recycled Coops Sat May 21, 2011 10:22 am

That bus is awesome!!
I have to install a perch into my coop. I am going to use a tree! What a great idea!

8Recycled Coops Empty clucker academy Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 pm

jocelyn

School busses come in several different sizes too, so you can get the size to suit your budget and number of birds. When they are too far worn out to keep on the road, the school boards sell them cheap. Mine had no brakes, so it had to be towed here. Towing and cleaning and the price of the bus delivered goes 500 to $1000, depending on the size of the bus.
I've had this one since early '08, and it's holding up well. My Hubby made a latch for the door, as the coons were really scratching hard at the "pantry" door, all those yummy birds inside, grin.

9Recycled Coops Empty Re: Recycled Coops Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm lovin' the bus coop, well done! Cool So nice and bright with all the windows. And the price seems reasonable too, considering the cost to build something of equal size. May I ask what you do in the winter?

10Recycled Coops Empty inside of their bus Mon May 23, 2011 12:27 pm

jocelyn

It stays fairly warm from the sun in the day time. The water jugs freeze at night, and the birds huddle on the roosts till the sun comes up. It gets quite hot by 8 am, and I have to open some windows then. I have birds that are landraces, so they are hardy and well feathered. I suspect any well feathered breed would be OK. I let them out anyway, as long as it's not storming....or icey. They can't stand up when the snow has a crust and it's windy...no traction and the wind blows them around like puff balls.

11Recycled Coops Empty Re: Recycled Coops Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very cool! Do you tow the bus around to different spots?

12Recycled Coops Empty bus coop Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 pm

jocelyn

No, I don't tow it around. They free range anyway, so I just keep it where it is easy for me to clean out and water.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum