Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Those lost posts that annoy so terribly

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Those lost posts that annoy so terribly Empty Those lost posts that annoy so terribly Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think there is something weird with this forum stuff, listen and you will understand. For the most things run pretty smoothly on this forum.

some of us are and have in the past had bad issues with typing a post and then losing the information typed before it can be sent. Some of us type fast. Some of us, typing is a very long process. I have read many posts, over and over and over -- about someone having typed a lengthy response only to have it go missing. Where does this information go.

I took have lost long, long posts, and for me to lose a long post, imagine how long it must be, as I have the great skills to type accurately as quickly as one can speak (ya, I know many of you know this, and I am not bragging). I am just trying to make a point, there is much data lost.

People lose heart. I know I sure have, when I have spent some time typing a lengthy reply, push a button, still sure not which one, but it gives me a blank new message box, and the data that I input is gone. Gone to I don't know where. Inability to recover my typed words (as I speak this is getting long and I should do something about it before I push a button and I lose it all). This happens so frequently that there must be something that needs to be looked into, to see what it is with the forum (it is not your fault Jayme, just something wrong here with this losing post thing). sometimes I have spent a long, long time typing and to lose that train of thought that flows so nicely sometimes, almost wants you to shut down the computer and scream, while pulling out hair Shocked

I have belonged to many forums. This is the only forum where this lost post happens, and I think it is something in the program. a most annoying thing, and I know so many others that read this will say to them selves, that they know exactly what I mean!! It is the most annoying thing. Words lost, train of thought lost, and then being annoyed, which creates another annoying thing. Those thoughts are never fully recovered and it is hard to make the same thoughts come through when re-writing a post.

Now when I know that my post can be a long one, I compose the data first in a document in microsoft word. I save that document as I am typing and then when I am done, I put the data I have typed pasted into the message box on the forum to respond. This is time consuming and an extra step, but I hope to not lose any posts again, but even though I profess to do this, I just don't, it is time consuming, as I said.

The other way to not lose ALL of those words that are so labour intent for many to type is to save the words that you are typing into the clipboard. This can be done by two simple keystrokes on the keyboard. At least if you do this, when you are typing a post, you will not lose everything, if you push a wrong button and the post disappears. I am just trying to help out, cause I know I have almost cried sometimes when I lose all that information I typed out, it is a sad thing.

If you do these couple of actions when you think you might have a long post being typed, it could help you a little.

Push the Control button and then the A button. This will highlight all the text.

Next push the Control button and then S button. This will save all that highlighted text again into the clipboard on the computer. This clipboard is like a "holding" spot for data.

If you do these two actions, then you will at least be saved some of your typing and if you lose the post for whatever the reason, you can retrieve it.

This is not a fix. But it may alleviate some sadness with people typing long posts and losing all the information.

This needs to be looked into. It is specific to this forum's software (guess that is what it is called). I have never come across this losing of posts, such as I have, anywhere else....it needs attention. There must be some computer assistance, somewhere.

I think losing the posts mostly happens when a person changes the page when in the post. I know I have seen that post go and there is a blank message screen, but I just can't quite put a finger on it.

Do a poll. You will see how many people have been so disheartened by losing information that they wanted to speak about in a typed post. I can also bet my bottom dollar that this has turned off many a person to type a response to posts. Wondering how many people have had this issue and are downright pissed off about it. I know I sure am, and every time I hear that someone has typed a post and lost it, I get even more annoyed that this is happening.

Does anyone know what is going on, to maybe help Jayme figure it out? don't want to cause extra work, but something needs to be fixed. With that, my wishes for a great day, CynthiaM.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have lost a post or 2 before. It doesn't happen on my computer, but it does happen on my ipad. I think it is because I touch something on the screen that closes everything. It only really bothers me when i am on my ipad as typing on it is more of a process.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I talked to my hubby about it a while ago and if you are typing and your cursor moves off your message area and you hit the backspace key to correct something it will bounce you to a new screen. Most times if you catch it right away you can find that screen, if you hit it more than once you will then close that extra screen and lose your work. So as far as I know use delete if you need to correct somthing, if not then you run the risk.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have experienced this and yes it happens more often with the iPad. You mistakenly hit something on the screen and. you move to another screen but when you go back all is gone. I think this is just a problem with the way this particular host is set up as I can go back on other forums hosted by different programs and they have the ability to move to a screen then to go back and have your typing waiting for you.

The only way to fix it would be to move the whole forum to another host and I would hate to have that happen again!

There are some thinks I dislike about this format and ther things I really like. I am willing to take the bad with the good here.

But it is still really frustrating to lose your posts!

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Not only would you need to move it to another host(that is accutlly the easy part). the version should be updated.

Any way's my susggestion is just be vigalent where your mouse is! Very Happy i have never had that happen to me before

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum