Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some advice about lost posts

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Some advice about lost posts Empty Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno and any others that care to listen. I am not sure if this information will help or not with lost posts, and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, happens to me many times too.....oh I am going to make a thread, go to the new thread I am making....I will put this little diddy in there too.....

Uno said in a response to a thread that Bigrock had made, that she had typed out a huge response and pushed a button and the typed stuff was gone. Yes. We have all had this happen, and it is the most annoying thing in the world. to some people, typing does not come easy, and it can take a very long time to make a response, be that response to a thread long or short.

I am a user of keyboard commands. These are combinations of keys that allow quick movement in the aspect of typing. It is simple to learn a couple of commands, using only two separate keys. That would be the control key and a corresponding letter on the keyboard. For example

"control" key + using the "a" key = this highlights an entire area (think control all)
"control" key + using the "c" key = copies that entire area highlighted by using the control + a

When you use these two commands, whatever text you have highlighted goes into an area of the computer called the clipboard, basically held in limbo, for mostly whatever time frame you would like, until you get off the computer or do some other command that puts stuff in the clipboard (oops, I see this post is getting rather long, so now taking it to a word format, so I don't lose stuff) hold on, control "a", control "c" (now control "v" to copy into the microsoft word document that I have created for this thread)
There, now I am in a word document and I can push control “s” to save this Microsoft word document. I won’t lose this bunch of typing that I am now doing. It is easy to me, but having been a word processor for over 30 years, these keyboard command keys are just part of life.

So yes, where was I? Right. Those losts posts. (control “s” to save my few words that I have typed, in this word document, yes save it every couple of minutes, cause stuff can still get lost now and then, even in the alternate world).

So, probably going to be a very convoluted and long post, but a’ramblin’ I shall go. I may help others, I may not, good if I do, too bad if I don’t. (control “s” again to save what I have typed since the last control “s”) no lost text, smiling.
Sometimes making a word document and copying the typing that has gone into a post is just too much. So, another thing that can be done is just the control a and then control c, staying in the post you are making. That way, if you lose the stuff you are typing, you can at least have a backup of some of the words that you have typed, instead of depending on the forum to have the typed stuff, which happens so often that the words are lost. You can do control a and then control c frequently, and as I said, you only lose what you have not copied into the clipboard, which of course you cannot see.

When I know that I am going to make a long post, I ALWAYS compose it first using Microsoft word and then copy that post into a post on the forum. I have lost too many posts because I pushed the wrong button and the post goes to somewhere, who only knows where, but gone, and it is so disheartening.

Have I helped anyone? Maybe not, maybe this is confusing, but it is more confusing to lose a post that one has typed, to have it go to never never land, and then not want to make the post again, and lose all the train of thought that so carefully was put into the typing. To some, even a paragraph is a big deal, there are many that can only type using one or two fingers, beware, remember those little keystrokes that can save your text (and if you lose the post, if you have backed up to clipboard by using control a and then control s, by making a new post and pushing control “v”, that will copy the text you have saved to your clipboard into your new post and you will not have lost all). Hope this helps, and wishes for a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Control “a” to highlight all this text to put into the post
Control “c” to copy the highlighted text into the clipboard to put into the post
Control “v” when I get to the post to paste this text that was copied into the clipboard into the post

Done!!!

2Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good advice from the queen of lost posts! I often wonder what gems of knowledge we have missed when Cynthia has had a post gone astray!

I will add one more bit of info. Above all, when you have your text hilighted, DO NOT mistakenly hit delete!

3Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you do mistakenly delete, just press Ctrl-Z and it'll undo your last action and restore your text.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:38 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:If you do mistakenly delete, just press Ctrl-Z and it'll undo your last action and restore your text.
Hee hee...on the same brand of coffee? Laughing 

Tara

6Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Van Houtte? lol

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alas, I am on an iPad without control anythings! But I do follow the trick of copying stuff I don't want to lose.

8Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:If you do mistakenly delete, just press Ctrl-Z and it'll undo your last action and restore your text.
Holy Crap! Why didn't I know or retain this information!? Actually just used it there because my fat fingers hit something that deleted everything. Thank you!

Tara wrote:I think in life (like when vacuuming around the house)...we should ALL have access to a "redo" key...
Remember the injections, 5 seconds back!

9Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:50 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Some advice about lost posts Empty Re: Some advice about lost posts Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:57 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad some people have knowledge of the control keys already, very useful keystrokes. Vacuuming. Blah. For an early birthday present, my SIN bought my Daughter a remote little vacuum thingy. It vacuums the entire house for her, and when it is done, goes back to its bed and waits until the next day it is programmed to go out and work. She is amazed by the indepth work it does, I am too, I am actually shocked at how good it works. Never would have thought that, but boy oh boy. But it is kind of scarey when she is not home, and I go over and I can hear something, I go inside and it is the little vacuum thingy bugging around, just having a merry ol' time of life. Best thing I think she ever got! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum