Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mother's Day gift gone terribly wrong!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mother's Day gift gone terribly wrong! Empty Mother's Day gift gone terribly wrong! Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

A very nice middle-aged man contacted me last week looking for blue cochin chicks. He explained that he wanted to buy something really special for his mom for Mother's day since she had done some extra special things for him lately. He went on to say that she loves her laying hens, but she still misses the blue cochins she used to raise. "Those lovely blue hens wearing their funny clown pants were always her favorites. She is all set up with lamps, feeders - she's got everything she needs."

Well it just so happened that I had a new batch of 6, 2-day old blue cochins. The man was thrilled and we made pick-up arrangements for Saturday. I added a container of chick starter to make sure she wouldn't be caught unprepared for her new chicks.

Well, the mother called me sunday evening. She was not impressed to say the least. She said the only thing that might have been worse than baby chicks for Mother's day would be having a root canal. She said she nearly had a heart attack when she saw the box...and she didn't mean that in a good way! Shocked Her little pen of laying hens is all she has room for, and she is not set up to handle baby chicks at all.

Well, she brought the 6 chicks back today, none the worse for their travels. They had not left their box and had only been inside the home, so there were no biosecurity issues. I don't usually offer returns and refunds, but this was a special situation, and I can chalk it up to experience. In the future I will have a lot more questions to ask anyone buying chicks as a gifts! Embarassed

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Well it sure sounds like a well-intentioned blunder on his part. Sorry it didn't work out. You're a good person for taking the chicks back (and it's good they never left their box obviously). I hope she at least appreciates the gesture her son tried to make.

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

To bad, it was really nice of you to take them back.
Pets of any kind are not a good choice for a gift; at any time. Maybe the exception is from parents to children that still live at home, but otherwise not a great idea.
Blue Cochin's though, Hmm I doubt you will have a problem finding them a home.

Sushi

Poor babies. Hope they didn't feel too rejected... Sad

The poor giver of the well intended gift must be feeling bad right about now ? Kinda mean Mom if you ask me Evil or Very Mad

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

yes, the poor guy really did have the very best intentions. I bet she'll only get a card from him next year!
Anyway, it did end well, and the 6 beautiful little cochins will be off to Red Deer with me at the end of the month for the big poultry sale. I'm sure they will find a good home, and feel wanted again! tongue

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum