Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you hugged your worm today?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:57 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Reading a book about parasites, Parasites: Tales of Humanity's Most Unwelcome Guests, by Rosemary Drisdelle. If you have even a remote neurotic streak, this book will push you over the edge!

I get to chapter 6 where my happy little world takes a serious blow. It says that mankind and parasites have lived a long time together and while we hate our body lice, scabies and intestinal crawlers, there is a mounting body of evidence that says they are beneficial to us! IN fact, there is research into the area that intestinal worms tweak our immune system, give it a thwack to see if it's running. In populations that have low worm infestations, they have correspondingly high auto-immune illnesses and allergies.

p. 148 "...Second, research with animals show that helminth infection does alter the immune response, and numerous accounts now exist of people who have successfully treated disease with worms. Hookworms have found use in treatng hay fever and asthma. Trichuris suis, the whipworm of pigs, has helped people with inflammatory bowel disease acheive remission. People with multiple sclerosis tend to have milder disease if they also have worms."

The author goes on to say that the human body is not able to attack a worm with enough gunpower to evict an adult worm from our system. To be able to do so it would have to release weapons of mass destruction on its own tissues, damamging ourselves in the process. But over the kajillions of years mankind has carried worms, we have developed a certain amount of defense and immunity, that the presence of a certain amount of intestinal parasites, they act to get our immune systems up and running. Like a dose of vitamin W, vitamin Worm.

STOP THE PRESSES! I am not saying there is or is not validity to this claim. It would require further study and investigation before I made a decision. But let's say that it is true...I immediately wondered what inadvertant, unexpected damage I might do to my chickens by launching on a program to keep them worm free? Am I creating wimp chickens whose immune systems have shut down for lack of use? Maybe by wanting chickens with squeaky clean intestinal tracts, I am shooting myself in the foot and putting them at risk of poor health?

It was an astounding thought, completely the opposite way of thinking. It made me stop and wonder.

On the up side, my birds are not worm free and despite occasional worming, most of us have wormy birds anyway. I worm to give their guts a fighting chance, NOT to ensure they never have a worm. I also worm my meat birds since they don't really need immune systems, they are going to be dead in 10 weeks anyway. They are not designed for a long, healthy life into old age. But if some of us worm often with the aim of total irradication in mind...maybe we ought to rethink the vigour of our worm attack.

I will continue to worm twice a year and keep a NoPest strip in the coop to ensure as much physical comfort for my birds as I can. Who needs to be driven half mad with the sensation of crawlers? However, I still think this was an approach that most of us have not considered. Balance in all things and in the greater scheme of things, some exposure to common gut worms might be good for us all. ICK! Shocked

2Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Re: Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm

I dont know if challenging their immunities then giving relief from the challenge in cycles is the right thing to do either but i figure that giving relief periodically allows them to divert essential energies to other essential tasks like reproduction. We dont have the luxury of immense numbers to select from so are forced in a way to hedge our bets with their health or possibly risk even worse infestations. I always try to keep in mind that old tale about the woman who swallowed a fly, swallowed a spider to eat the fly, ...poor thing and now she'll die. Playing with natural balances can have unforeseen consequences.

3Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Re: Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cool! That sounds like a book I would like!

And I thought this was going to be a thread about tequila....

4Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Re: Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I thought it would be about vermiposting... Guess it depends where our minds were going in, so Sue, get out from behind the bar! Unless you are making Margaritas for all of us....
Did the author take into account that some cultures have less courses of antibiotics given them, and that many cultures ingest way higher amounts of fermented foods? Since 90% of our immune system is in the bacterial flora that makes up our intestine, that would have a huge impact on our overall health, worms or no worms.
Some feel our inflammatory diseases are the result of our immune systems attacking our own cells. Perhaps the worms provide an alternate target?
Perhaps the worms digest the huge amounts of excess sugars that are ingested, as that can also trigger auto immune issues. It would be great to know how they help, what a fascinating subject...

5Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Re: Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

In the same thread, I thought it was funny as my BFF married a man from Dominican. First thing she did was deworm him. She felt with his diet-which was mostly chicken and all fresh fruits and veggies- he was more apt to have worms. That and the fact her MIL, said eating sand got rid of them Laughing

http://LynBarRanch.com

6Have you hugged your worm today? Empty Re: Have you hugged your worm today? Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

And I still believe in the philosophy: play in the sun, the fresh air and the dirt! Seems to be good for Chooks, kids, and all of us! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum