Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How often do people worm?

+8
lady leghorn
call ducks
uno
HigginsRAT
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
bigrock
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How often do people worm? Empty How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just read a link posted from one of the poop posts and this person regularly worms every three months, then has a ten day withdraw.
Would you not just worm if there are symptoms?
are the symptoms too vague and that is why this sort of routine is suggested?
What do others do?

i promise....my questions should almost be played out by now Smile

2How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

By following this routine she is trying to keep her chickens as worm free as possible. If you wait until you see worms, they have been there a while, competing with the chicken for its food, wearing down it's body condition. Following a routine keeps them healthier because they are always worm free.

3How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:10 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue do you worm every three months?

4How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:18 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I deworm every three months with Eprinex. I also administer Frontline at the same time, and check for the presence of mites or lice.

I have always dewormed, treated and vaccinated all of my livestock on a regular schedule, whether they need it or not. I like prevention.

I also deworm and Frontline any new chickens before adding them to the main coop.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I worm and de louse/de mite spring, fall and mid winter (before breeding)

Authentic, will the drop on eprinex get all internal parasites? This is one I have never been able to get a straight answer on. I have heard it will get all including external which I have experienced is not true, to hearing it only gets lice and that is it. What are your findings?

6How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm not that organized. I worm at the start of breeding season or when birds are being moved between pens, worm and dust new birds as part of the quarantine process, and if I think there are problems. I'm particularly alert to mites/lice on new birds because I think I've never had them on my main flock.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

7How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Authentic, will the drop on eprinex get all internal parasites?  This is one I have never been able to get a straight answer on.  I have heard it will get all including external which I have experienced is not true, to hearing it only gets lice and that is it.  What are your findings?
I can't remember what my research said - it's been a busy few months. Given that it's a cattle medication and using it for chickens is off-label, I can't be certain, but I would assume it would get the internal parasites and some of the external - probably the lice. I figure the double whammy with the Frontline will take care of mites, too. Seems to be working for me so far!

8How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:51 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

last year when we used ivermectin, and a dusting powder we withdrew for 3 weeks..
it was off label use as well, and that timeline is what i found from a vet site...but we wasted 170 eggs. This year i have way more birds.
i am looking at it also from an economical viewpoint where preventatives every 3 months mean a lot of wasted eggs
any thoughts?

9How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

10How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:14 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I initially got the external body crawlers under control with Eprinex and now keep them under control with a No Pest strip. Now, sometime every summer when I think about it, I put piperazine in their water. I do not toss eggs.

The meatbirds get a routine worming half way through raising them (4 or 5 weeks). I lost birds because their worm load was so heavy it blew their intestines apart! SInce then, I worm my meatbirds!

11How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:47 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Eprinex has a zero withdrawal for on-label use (meat and dairy cattle, meaning you don't have to toss your beef or milk), so I didn't toss eggs. I didn't sell them, either - I just used them for my own family.

But we've been fairly liberally splashed with ivermectin products in the past, so we're not afraid of it. Lol

12How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:04 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Never? I have not wormed. My birds are just fine. I don't see any need for it right now. I mean chickens have had worms for hundreds or thousands of years. Why vaccinate Suspect 

13How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:44 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The ivermectin is poured on,   Where and how much?  How is the frontline used, on the chickens and where?

Thanks. Question

14How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:49 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lady leghorn, you should confirm with your vet, but the dosage I use for Eprinex on a full-sized chicken is 0.5 ml, directly on the skin (under the feathers).

For the Frontline, I use an eye dropper and do two drops on the skin.

I grab my chickens to check for bugs quite regularly, and so far, so good! I also have a No-Pest strip hanging.

If you have crested breeds, I am told that you should also check their crests for bugs.

15How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:28 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thank you Authentic Farm. Smile This is for bantams, no crests.

16How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:08 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would reduce the dosage for bantams - I think I read 0.25 ml for the Eprinex for bantams, and probably a scant drop for Frontline. Depending on the variety of bantam - if it's something really tiny like a Dutch Bantam - you could probably go less than 0.25 ml.

17How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:41 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Twice a year. Almost Fall and almost Spring.
Usually August, as the youngsters are usually old enough to get it too and February. Lots of time before breeding season. There is some talk that the pour on is hard on sperm so I don't take any chances doing it close to breeding season.

18How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:11 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So Eprinex is for roundworms, lungworms, infestations due to sucking and biting lice.

So Frontline is for effective control of fleas and ticks and continues killing fleas for an entire month or more.

So Ivermectin Drops are for the treatment of mite and feather lice in caged birds.

So Piperazine is used to treat: common roundworms (ascariasis) and pinworms (enterobiasis; oxyuriasis).

So has anyone tried Flubenvet.  C&P Used to treat: Large roundworm, caecal worm, gapeworm, hairworm and gizzard worm in chickens, geese, turkeys, partridges and pheasants. Flubenvet contains the active ingredient Flubendazole which has no adverse effect on egg laying or hatching. It is the only licenced in feed wormer for chickens currently available in the UK. It is very effective and can prevent a large number of problems and long term damage to your birds. You do not need to withdraw eggs for consumption when it is given at the correct dose and it is simple to administer in food.

Safe-guard has Flubendazole  in it.
FLUMIXAN®️ 5% has Flubendazole in it.

uno wrote:I initially got the external body crawlers under control with Eprinex and now keep them under control with a No Pest strip. Now, sometime every summer when I think about it, I put piperazine in their water. I do not toss eggs.

The meatbirds get a routine worming half way through raising them (4 or 5 weeks). I lost birds because their worm load was so heavy it blew their intestines apart! Since then, I worm my meatbirds!
What do you treat your meat birds with Uno? Thanks. Very Happy 

HigginsRAT wrote:Spring and fall.  Alternated dewormers as per vet's instructions.
    Tara      
What have you use in the past Tara? Thanks.  Very Happy

coopslave wrote:Twice a year.  Almost Fall and almost Spring.
Usually August, as the youngsters are usually old enough to get it too and February.  Lots of time before breeding season.  There is some talk that the pour on is hard on sperm so I don't take any chances doing it close to breeding season.
What do you like to use on your birds coopslave? Thanks. Very Happy 

Thanks again everyone,cheers 
Thanks Bigrock for starting the Thread.  cheers

Last edited by bcboy on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

19How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Frontline will also exterminate lice and mites.

20How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:54 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

21How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:18 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bcboy, usually whatever the cattle are getting at the time. Pour ons I have used are Eprinomectin products (Eprinex) , Ivermectin products (there are lots of different ones) and Moxidectin products (usually Cydectin).

22How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I also have just been reading about Flubenvet, and that there is no withdrawal period for eggs.
Anyone have any experience with it and where to get it?

23How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:54 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:I also have just been reading about Flubenvet, and that there is no withdrawal period for eggs.
Anyone have any experience with it and where to get it?
I used it for roundworm some weeks ago.  I got the flubenvet from my vet.  I have little experience with worming chickens so nothing to compare to.  It was quite the trip administering it, I wonder what other forms it comes in.  The vet gave me crushed up tablets for four days worth of treatment.  Because I had chickens of all sizes and ages in three different groups it was not so easy to figure out who should get what so I gave it up and let the vet tell me what to do  -  had to grind it up very fine in a mortar and pestle, ground up a smallish amount of their feed to fine fine fine and then blend the two together, more grinding to blend evenly and then divide up between the three groups and blend again with more finely ground feed so everyone would get some and watch to see the older more bossy girls didn't stop everyone else from getting a good munch.  I just threw my hands up in the air and went with it.  The vet reassured me it was not an exact science but did stress the need to grind and blend thoroughly  -  next time I hope I can get it in an easier form, was so glad when day four came around.  I'll feed each chicken a dose individually if I have to.  

I did not throw away eggs.  We ate 'em Smile .  Haven't noticed anyone twitching or dribbling out the side of their mouth  -  probably worm free ourselves!  

I have to rush out the door so can't find the thread right now but go back to the talk about gapeworm.  There was talk about where to get it online I think.  I would want to check with the vet about dosages but spose that comes with the packet?   I'd want to be sure before giving  -  can a chook die from too much wormer?  Guess their liver is working to clean their blood too, just like ours.  Wouldn't want to tax their detox organ too much.

24How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:18 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

k-thanks magdelan
will check out the other post

25How often do people worm? Empty Re: How often do people worm? Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

So has anyone tried Flubenvet. C&P Used to treat: Large roundworm, caecal worm, gapeworm, hairworm and gizzard worm in chickens, geese, turkeys, partridges and pheasants. Flubenvet contains the active ingredient Flubendazole which has no adverse effect on egg laying or hatching. It is the only licenced in feed wormer for chickens currently available in the UK. It is very effective and can prevent a large number of problems and long term damage to your birds. You do not need to withdraw eggs for consumption when it is given at the correct dose and it is simple to administer in food.

Safe-guard has Flubendazole in it.
FLUMIXAN® 5% has Flubendazole in it.
These things drive me freaking nuts!!

So is flubendazole actually fenbendazole? That is the active ingredient in panacur (fenbendazole) and safeguard. What the dickens. As I said, drives me nuts, all these names. I used panacur (fenbendazole) to treat for gapeworm once, I think it was 1 tsp per gallon for four days, treats all kinds of worms. Geeze. Crazy stuff, why is there not just ONE WORMER and not so many choices. Anyone know if flubendazole is the same as fenbendazole???? Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum