Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weird Hatch

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weird Hatch Empty Weird Hatch Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My weirdest hatch ever this morning. by that, I just mean the WAY it hatched.

I have mainly been trying to incubate turkey eggs with no success whatsoever. Starting to wonder if the toms could be so concerned with calling to each other that they are ignoring the hen. In any event, one of them is headed for the freezer when the weather cools a bit.

While I am not hatching turkeys I figured I might as well not hatch some chanteclers too. I have 3 old hens left from an old strain and I only got roosters from them last year. The old girls are laying torpedo shaped eggs (and not a great deal of them) which, of course, don't hatch well, so I also threw in a few SL Wyandottes (so that I wouldn't end up with single chantecler chicks).

Now the weird part, went in this morning ans a wyandotte was trying to hatch. It was sort of stuck in the shell but had shoved one foot straight out. I didn't think you saw this sort of thing outside of cartoons. A couple of tugs and it was easily free but it was the funniest thing to look at. Didn't even think of the camera though.

2Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:30 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:42 am

Too cute.

I had a weird hatch myself about a week ago (not trying to highjack, trying to relate!)

2 out of the last 3 eggs kicked themselves out of the egg before they had consumed the yolk. Large amounts of blood, and, being my second hatch, I just about freaked out. I didn't see the first one hatch, but as I was trying to figure out what to do, the second one did the same thing.

I left them in there a couple hours to dry before moving them into the brooder. I didn't give them much hope, but by morning one of them was rolling around and had consumed most of the yolk, the other wasn't doing so well. I gave him until I got home, and by then he had also (she I guess) consumed the yolk. They're both up and about doing very well. Going on a week and a half old.

4Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever had one like that survive.

5Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:31 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

To continue the weird hatch;

There were two eggs that looked like they weren't going to do anything (torpedo shaped like I said). I usually leave them for a bit just in case they're late or I can't count. Forgot about them for a day and then remembered and thought that I'd better check just in case. Well the two eggs were still there but so were 3 new wyandotte chicks. I must have missed them when I moved the eggs down and they hatched in the rocker trays, no trouble at all. My best successes always seem to come from me staying out of the way.

Last edited by Fowler on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

6Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 am

Thats so cool!

Twins would be awesome. I think I may give eggs a day or 2 more than I usually do, just in case.

7Weird Hatch Empty Re: Weird Hatch Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

i dont think a day or two longer can hurt, i have never had the exploding eggies ever so i dont panic.
I find certain breeds hatch sooner, others later although i know the late hatching thing can be genetic and if you keep raisingthose late hatchers you might get ones that are always late to hatch?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum