Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weird Chick

+3
SerJay
Cathyjk
chickeesmom
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weird Chick Empty Weird Chick Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a little black chick that hatched, she is throwing her head back whenever she has a drink, like laying it right on her back. Does anyone know what that is all about?

2Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Sun May 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think this might be the same thing as what is posted under "duckling with twisted neck"... go have a peek and see if perhaps the notion of your chick "star gazing" sort of sounds like the same thing--thiamine deficiency.

3Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes in my research online I found it happens to chicks as well I hope vitamins work for you too

4Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Sun May 08, 2011 10:39 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks guys, will get some vitamins right away, I do also use the poul-vite.

5Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

I have a 5wk. old chick that did EXACTLY that when first hatched - he looked like he wasn't "quite right"....well, he is fine now!! A holy terror actually!! Never knew exactly what it was but now he is half the size of everyone else, bites me when I put my hand in the brooder and runs around like Chicken Little!! All I really did was helped him to drink and generally pampered him.

6Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Maybe your pampering and getting it to food and water got it the nutrients that it needed Maddyfofatty?? I'm glad to hear your "not quite right" chick recovered. That's exacty the same thing hubby and I have been saying about our little duckling. It's good to find out so we can help and know what to do if it happens again. It's also nice to hear a story that ends well Smile

7Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So do you think a B-50 complex vitamin pill, crushed and added to a gallon waterer would help? This little one of mine was meant to be a survivor, she is very fiesty. Moves alot. Should have culled her right away, but of course she was the Grandkids favourite chick, they all wanted to her.
Maddy you gave me some hope that this little one will be alright.

8Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

Ungrateful little "bleep, bleep" is what he is Laughing I do remember reading that chicks (and probably ducklings too) develop a muscle in their neck that helps them to hatch (pip & zip) and I was thinking maybe this muscle didn't develop properly in my little guy so his head just flopped around....just a thought Suspect
I am terrible when it comes to sick, injured, underdog, runt type animals...always feel sorry for them and hold out hope for recovery so I kinda think I should have culled...but, couldn't do it...I'm a big weenie...

9Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 9:04 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had one like that too last year. I was really worried about it, but in a few days it was fine. I didn't do anything special it had access to water and medicated chick starter. If it hadn't been the only chick in the hatch that made it I may have put it down. Glad I didn't she is a beauty now.

10Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

chickeesmom wrote:So do you think a B-50 complex vitamin pill, crushed and added to a gallon waterer would help? This little one of mine was meant to be a survivor, she is very fiesty. Moves alot. Should have culled her right away, but of course she was the Grandkids favourite chick, they all wanted to her.
Maddy you gave me some hope that this little one will be alright.

I don't know what other of the B vitamins are in a B-50 pill so you might end up overdoing something else, or giving them something they don't do well with.

I know they need thiamine (B1) and niacin (B3) to develop properly.

11Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 10:36 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

The star-gazer defect is caused by an autsomal recessive gene - so keep in mind it is a genetic trait. I got my first star-gazer chick in my last batch, and it was quite a sever case. The poor little soul would bend it's neck so far back he would topple over. Even if it were able to recover I didn't want to take a chance that it may eventually enter someone's breeding program, so I made the decision to cull.
It is the hardest part of being a breeder, but something that must be done in the best interest of your flock.

If you can be sure that this chicken will never have the chance to reproduce, and will be able to enjoy a healthy, normal existence in your back yard, well then its a wonderful thing to have saved that little life.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

12Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon May 09, 2011 11:58 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks Kathy that is great information. This little one is in with white and buff chicks, so stands out, I will make sure it is only a pet.

13Weird Chick Empty Now it's my turn Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am observing a freshly hatched chick in my incubator who seems to have a serious case of 'star gazing'. Can't stand properly, head right back and then topples over. What was concluded from this thread about what to do? Is poulvite enough and just give it some time and keep my fingers crossed? He's all dried and fluffy now and I didn't notice it earlier so it's taken a few hours to come on. I don't want to cull it if it has a chance.

14Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 am

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

Hey Chicory, I think the outcome is that as long as the chick isn't used for breeding purposes...(maybe a legband to identify) they can recover and be a pet only (or an annoying rooster like mine). I didn't use special vitamins but I think poulvite would be good as long as the chick can eat and drink it should be fine. I found with mine that the other chicks kept him "going" with their exuberance, they would step on him and he would wake up and move around - mine was really sleepy (dopy). BTW Chicory...how is your hatch going? Mine are hatching tomorrow and carolyn said all but 4 are good!! I'm stoked!! Very Happy

15Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Maddyfo. Unfortunately, I've realized his situation is so severe he continuously topples backwards, unable to sit or stand but just lie there helpless. It's almost like something is pulling his head straight back and over. It's intense to watch. Sad as he is perfectly healthy in every other way.

Having seen your little guy when he had it, your's was still able to stand and eat and drink and then throw his head back. No chance for this little one.

BTW, finally sent you an email!

16Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had to cull the little black chick, she seemed to be thriving, then one day she was all hunched up and just not looking great. Just don't have the heart to see them suffer. Crying or Very sad

17Weird Chick Empty Re: Weird Chick Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:03 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have yet to have to cull a chick. So far what little experience I have had, they die quickly on their own.

How did you do it Vivien? You can PM me the answer if you like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum