Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Black bear wandered across my yard :o

+5
ChicoryFarm
honeybrook
chickeesmom
SerJay
Amy
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Black bear wandered across my yard :o Empty Black bear wandered across my yard :o Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I working in the yard today and looked up to see a black bear walk across the cow pasture in my front yard Shocked Sure gave Holly cow a scare, she had all three calves in the corner and kept nudging them and acting fidgity. I just hope it doesn't make a habit of hanging out, it was only a couple hundred feet from the house.

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yikes! I hope it was just on it's way to somewhere else! Although we did see a black bear not more than a km down the hwy when we left your place... I hope it moves on quickly. That must have gotten your heart racing

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yikes thats too close for comfort. My sister lost all her birds last fall to a bear in Ft. St. John. Hope he heads for the hills.

honeybrook

honeybrook

Wow a little unnerving to have a bear wonder that close to you but most likely is just traveling though.

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

5Black bear wandered across my yard :o Empty Re: Black bear wandered across my yard :o Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:14 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am terrified of bears. Would it try to go for the calves?

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

keep a close watch out for it, and make sure any dog food, grain, household scraps, and garbage and put away very well! Hopefully it was a one time thing, but be prepared to do some disuading if he decides to come back and make it a habit. If this happens shoot close to him everytime you see him. He will soon get the point, but if it is just a young one, it may not and continue to pester you so you may have to get a bear trap or shoot it if it starts to bother your livestock!! Good luck with it

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

honeybrook

honeybrook

We have a lot of cattle and bears in our area as a general rule the bears will not bother the cattle they want a easy meal so unless your calve is sick or the bear is very hungry once the berries come out you shouldn’t have to worry they will stick to eating the berry’s but I agree if he seems to be sticking around I would either trap him and have him moved or shoot him. Just my two cense worth I have a lot of experience with bears getting into my bees.

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I wasn't worried about the calves Smile the chickens I hadn't really thought of Shocked He won't be getting 'warning' shots if he wanders in again he will get shot. No shortage of black bears around here, I hope he just wandered in by mistake.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We always have a lot of bears around here, but I never really see to many. This year they are close. We see them in the fields every night. I think because the snow melt was so late and feed has been slow to grow higher up, they have stayed low. We see 3 or 4 most days. I think they are beautiful, but I will be happy when they head up into the mountains again!

10Black bear wandered across my yard :o Empty Re: Black bear wandered across my yard :o Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What?....no picture

11Black bear wandered across my yard :o Empty Re: Black bear wandered across my yard :o Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree coopslave. Just to clarify I think they're stunning and love living rurally with them but I prefer them up in the mountains too and catching glimpses of them from a real distance and not on my property. I have complete respect for them and they scare me because of their power not because I think every bear wants to hurt me.

coopslave wrote:We always have a lot of bears around here, but I never really see to many. This year they are close. We see them in the fields every night. I think because the snow melt was so late and feed has been slow to grow higher up, they have stayed low. We see 3 or 4 most days. I think they are beautiful, but I will be happy when they head up into the mountains again!

12Black bear wandered across my yard :o Empty Re: Black bear wandered across my yard :o Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked Oh boy...bears scare me to death. One of the biggest bonuses of moving from the Island to SK is there are NO bears here. Or cougars. I was too nervous to even consider keeping chickens with such predators roaming about when we lived outside city limits. I hope he was just passing through and doesn't come back.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum