Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moose is gonna kill me...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

So… I’m getting 3 ducklings tomorrow. I went for lunch with one of my friends who works nearby and she asked me if I would take them. I guess what happened is her friend was out walking in the city and found a momma duck and 3 babies run over on the side of the road. On top of the mother were the 3 remaining live babies and, well, she couldn’t just leave them to the same fate. I told her they need heat and feed other than grass at their age and the woman didn’t realize that so she said I could take them “but only if I kept their names.” Names: Daffy, Daisy, Donald. Not happening. “Yes, of course I will.”

I’ll pick up some baby duck start tonight on the way home – have to pick up turkey ration anyway. I guess I should have bought a couple ducks off you, Hidden LOL. I’m guessing there is probably some law against it because they are likely mallards, but I also can’t just leave them to die. They’ll fly away when they get big, right? Or will they end up bonding to the chickens and sticking around? I don’t really mind either way, there’s a bunch of water holes around our property for them to swim in when they are big.

Anyway, any tips and advice would be great. I know they are messy, especially when eating. What else should I know!

2Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 pm

THanks Tara;

I called and left a message at the rehab society here. Hopefully they will call back soon.

Wasn't trying to do any harm =/ now I feel bad.

4Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

You did not do any harm. Your local wildlife office may let you keep them, but they may also take them from you. All you have to go is contact them about them if they allow you to keep them, once they are big enough to be off heat you will probably be told that you cannot pen them as they must be able to migrate if they wish. This is what happened with a friend of mine who raised a Canada goose. Weeper stuck around for 3 years and then found his mate and decided that my friend was no longer acceptable as his "mate".

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

5Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Your local wildlife might still fine you if they feel like it ! They will most likly tell you that you should have left them to there fate ,survival and death in the wild and all that other B/S that they seem to believe that they can enforce .Good luck

6Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

if it was me.......... I would feed and do what I could for the little guys... I wouldnt say a word to anyone. I am sure they look alot like the domestic duckling that would be running around, but yes, the option would be there for them to fly south...... I would if I could.( fly south that is )

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

7Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:41 pm

dooversue

You can also find someone with the proper permits and see if they will take them...

8Moose is gonna kill me... Empty Re: Moose is gonna kill me... Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 pm

The woman with the ducks never showed up, which angered my friend. I guess last night one of the ducks died and she was going to 'give it to another friend.' Probably better this way, I suppose, though that 'friend', apperently, doesn't know anything about animals, let alone fowl. Oi... I think it was more along the lines of "my kids want them." I asked my friend to report them, as I have no idea who they are or where they live.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum