Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonna make you SOOOO jealous... An incubation story!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So here is a little story about a first timer with an incubator that is going to make you ALL jealous!

One of the ladies I work with wanted to hatch some eggs with her daughters. She had never done this before and was very nervous. I loaned her an incubator, one that Toybarons gave me. An ancient Lttle Giant styrofoam model with no fan. I brought her four dozen eggs and along with a few of her own we packed that incubator tight. I calibrated the cheap thermometer she had, filled the reservoirs with water, set the eggs and fired her up. No turner by the way. She was incubating old school.

Over the next two weeks we candled a couple times and all was looking good. We lost a few along the way, but nothing serious. The girls were fascinated when we opened the ones with blood rings and looked at the developing embyos inside. On day 18 we locked down 35 eggs. Today she has 34 chicks and is crying because she lost one because she tried to help it. What a hatch!

I think I will let her try the incubator out on her own duck eggs next!
[list=1][*]

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blah.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno! Be happy for Michelle! You grumpy girl!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry. It's true, I am grumpy today. I may have to rant about it. BUt that was a truly awesome hatch! Shall we put it down to beginner's luck? Sorry to be such a sour puss. Forgive?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Of course! We all love, you, Uno! Have a better day and please rant at our expense.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sounds like my geese. I have Makwaseni's hova. It does have a fan, but it was well used. She said the temp was good last time she used it - I didn't even check. I put in some WASHED goose eggs (they were DIRTY). I did a lot of candling as I didn't really want a bad egg in the bator. I had a few clear, a few early dead and a 14 live healthy African goslings. I didn't have a thermometer or a hygrometer. It was an awesome hatch. I sent 9 to the neighbour and the other 5 are in a rubbermaid tub at my feet as I type this. My daughter and I took them out on the lawn for a walk this afternoon when the sun came out. The followed here everywhere. I am not sure how I am going to say NO to geese! I have two more small clutches in the bator. IF they hatch I will keep them - it was meant to be. If they don't, I may still be married this time next year!

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well isn't that just nice to hear. Returns my faith to the little giant. I have one and had a bad experience, but it was one of the first times I had ever tried hatching...it sits in storage, has an automatic turner, but no fan. One day maybe I'll give it a whirl again. That must be one happy gal!! Nice story, by the way, have a great day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum