Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The down side of spring

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The down side of spring Empty The down side of spring Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:38 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Guess what was crawling on my back at 3 am this morning....A wood tick!

2The down side of spring Empty Re: The down side of spring Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

YUCK! We are very lucky to be tick free here. To cold for the little buggars I would imagine!

3The down side of spring Empty Re: The down side of spring Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:32 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yuck! I always hate this time of year. Our little dog loves to bring those nasty bugs in the house...
So we tend to keep him around the yard now and with the guineas there are no ticks right in the yard, so happy about that. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4The down side of spring Empty Re: The down side of spring Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a tick story.

Bought child her first horse. He was 34 years old and in very bad shape! Bone thin with the longest hair I have ever seen on a horse. Looked like a mastadon. Despite feeding, was not gaining weight (also, he had no teeth and a bad heart).

Back then I didn't like horses so had not touched this one in several weeks of owning him, but one day I did decided to pet him and felt an odd sensation as I ran my hand over his side. Little bumps. All over. Like stucco. I parted his hair and, holy Hannah, what the heck are those things!?

Called over stable owner and said (remember, I was a newbie) are these lice? He almost passed out! Ticks. THOUSANDS of them covered every square inch of this horse! They were killing him. Horse guy injected Ivermectin, but it did not even dent the ticks. So for weeks daughter and I stood there and hand picked ticks off this poor horse. Each was dropped in a litte jar of gasoline OR squished with a rock. THey were not flung into the environment to reproduce. A tick must be gouged out with a little chunk of horse hide attached, they do not 'pick' off. In his ears, in his mane, in his tail, under his tail, in his groin, behind his hooves, we went over every square inch of the horse with a fine tooth comb, literally. But once the filthy cling-ons were gone, he improved swiftly. GOt used to casually picking ticks off the kid or myself after these tick picking sessions. I no longer panic when I see a tick, just crush the little bugger.

Thankfully they are not too bad in our area, but were very bad in the hot grasslands this horse had come from. (involuntary shudder) they can suck the life out of an animal! Blech!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum