Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where did spring go?

+7
lanaire-ranching
Prairie Chick
chickeesmom
k.r.l
cbrookkelly
maddyfofatty
Hidden River
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Where did spring go? Empty Where did spring go? Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

So that was a very short lived spring pale . We have just gotten 1 ft of snow over the last 24 hrs and it is heavy and wet. Doing chores was double the work again, and we just dont need this extra moisture right now. People in town are already sand bagging and trying to push water away from their houses...
Of course the temperature is plesant at -2 so not complaining about that, just wish it would dry up.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:38 pm

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

That's terrible Hidden, are you at risk for flooding? It's been a long, hard winter here too. Spring will come, it has to! We are cloudy/sunny today in the kootenay's - I'm headin' outside to clean up my garden area! Sending sunny, spring vibes your way!!

3Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That's the same thought I had Jayme....we got a blast of winter a couple of days ago but only 3 inches or so....still great temps during the day but at night we are still getting to -8 I had to lock up the last 2 expecting ewes so they could have dry places to lamb. I sure hope no one gets flooded again this year.

4Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are not at risk of flooding here at the farm, but in town it is a very real risk right now. They have been doing planning to build a dyke around the town but I am afraid it might get dug too late. Some streets were already flooded in this last thaw.
We are only at risk here of our basement getting wet again, but we never did any re finishing after last years problems so nothing to wreck down there this year. We are hoping to get it sealed and then start working on it later this summer.
Yes Kelly everything is wet, I am replacing straw in the sheep barn every couple days, with 20 lambs and 9 ewes it is taking it's tole on the inside of the barn, too many wet little feet going in there. Birds that are out in the breeding pens seem to be handling it well, the new breeding house for the BLRW is a saviour, the older ones would have been much too small for them all to fit in comfortably until this snow melts again...

5Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I know the feeling of winter being back. The roads have been not good the last few days. Two days ago at work I had to drive a coworkers car out of the parking lot as she couldn't get through the snow, as the parking lot couldn't be plowed as it was getting repaired and at home it took 5 hours to get morning chores done and our truck with the bale handler and our tractor got stuck (2wd) augh. Then yesterday at work the garbage truck and semi truck that just dropped off some stuff and 2 coworkers and the newly repaired bobcat got stuck in the parking lot. Thankfully my dad's cousin came and fed our cows with his 4wd tractor.

6Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:32 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is really not looking like spring is it??? BUT there are a pair of male robins in the yard today, I always keep some saskatoons in the freezer for when they come back. Poor guys, not sure what they would find to eat in all this snow. I can't imagine getting out to my greenhouse for at least another month!!

7Where did spring go? Empty snowing today Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is snowing right now here, it just seems like it will never end.

Hey Jayme if you get any more snow your river may not be hidden anymore, when it melts lol!

8Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:57 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes there have been times already this year that we have had a little river running through our field. But we need a river of good water now, not the pesticide laden water we get off the hutterite land...

9Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm

maddyfofatty

maddyfofatty

Pesticides?? Isn't there a law against contaminating waterways? I thought Hutterites were "au naturel"...
My acreage borders crown land so any water flowing down the mountain is pristine - except maybe for a little radiation now!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Sad Suspect

10Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unfortunately no, the hutterites around us are anything but "au natural". They continuous crop, which means lots of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizer. After the flooding last year past our water well the water was no longer even good for the livestock, it was never good for us with the high TDS, but after the flooding the TDS, Nitrates and Coliform were through the roof. We have shocked the well now but unfortunately it is not much better so we have to haul water for the birds, baby animals and milk cows. Makes things very interesting to say the least...

11Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

actually i thought the same of the hutterites, but i guess i'm also not surprised either....

spring here sucks too!!! but i'm not going to complain too loudly since today the sun is out at least Cool even though there is a wind that could carry my house over to yours jayme!! ahahahaa

i'm just holding my breath, april is always hard here for snow. i have pictures from last year-- end of april, the snow drifts were higher than the duals on the tractor!!!

sigh, and just when i was starting to dream of chickens and maybe getting back into it again-- almost feeling better enough for it....

12Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

We got over 8" of new snow and all school buses are canceled for tomorrow.

http://LynBarRanch.com

13Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

no snow here, just a hint of snow pellets and a super thick pea soup fog.

Spent the day laying out shavings trying to keep the snow and icepack in certain areas so that we have somewhere to walk while everything else is melting mud.

14Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Boy sorry to hear about all this you guys. I moved from the West Coast to the Kootenays in BC a year and a half ago and found this winter to be long and somewhat arduous. A bit of an adjustment but nothing like what you're going through. Snow just left 10 days ago and we're just looking at brown vegetation and muddy ground.

15Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

2wks ago we had 3ft of snow and my kids spent the first couple days of spring break ice skating beside the house. Snow started melting and finally down to about 6inches so last years brown grass was starting to show in a few places. OMG the muck is horrendous but just glad not to see nothing but white!! Woke up this morning to another 3inches of snow Sad I wanted to stomp my feet and have a temper tantrum will this white never go away!!! There was actually some little leaves of crocus coming up in the bed beside my door I was so excited about but the barn door didnt get latched so hubby's gelding burst thru my barn door and found them Sad barn door slides but if I don't have the latch on then if he hits it hard enough he can lift it up and go on out. Doesn't feel like spring here today

16Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:43 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

We are supposed to get more snow on Thursday. Am sooooo not amused. We are very behind this year, as I know most are. We have fencing and coops to build. Seeding will be next year I think. Crying or Very sad

http://LynBarRanch.com

17Where did spring go? Empty Re: Where did spring go? Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Well as much as I hate to say it our snow is almost gone ? For the HUGE amount of snow that we had this year it all seems to be disappearing rather quickly ?? Of course the ground is so saturated that it is actually coming up from the ground here ( water ), and they are calling for a major thunderstorm on Sunday !! I trully hate spring !! It is to wet , slushy slimmy country roads ,no matter where you walk it's wet !!! Waiting for some sunshine and warm winds to dry up the ground , even though it's +12 today , theres no sunshine .I think I'd rather like it colder so that the water has a chance to evaporate or go down ..............and then there's the loam of a flood from the water thats heading our way from the USA , glad I don't live anywhere near that river !!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum