Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Plastic Coil Leg Bands

+4
mirycreek
uno
Hidden River
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:24 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

In my quest to find the perfect leg bing band, I came across plastic coil bands and think they look quite promising.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  (halfway down the page, 992-995)

I really like the fact the bands retain their shape and you can be more easy going on size. Anyone here try them? I’d love to hear your opinions! Smile 

Also, anyone here interested in trying some? I’m attempting to price out the shipping from National, and considering placing an order if it’s not too steep. bounce

2Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:10 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use these in my waterfowl, they are numbered, but I find they wear the numbers off a lot of the time. I use different colors for different years so if the number does come off at least I know how old they are.
I used them in chickens and had mixed luck, some stayed on very well others would catch on something and fall off. My tried and true is with the zip ties still, they seem to stay on the best.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I didn't think these ones were numbered? But coming off is no good, no good at all.

I like using zip ties too, but wanted something sturdier (and preferably numbered) for my breeders.
And I really like the idea of using different colours every year. Would make it super easy to tell age at a glance. Thanks Hidden! Smile 

The search continues...

4Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Smile Another question for ya...were do you get your coloured zips? Because I seem to only be able to find white/black/red and yellow packs, and I don't use the red.

5Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:05 am

Sometimes some peavy marts have different colours, like neon pink and so on. I find the trouble with those is accidentally missing one on a growing chick. You're sure you got them all changed and come to find out somebody has a swollen foot and a limp. Sure enough, their leg is growing around the zips. It's great once they're full grown, but the colour variation is sure an issue.

6Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Princess Auto has a nice variety of colors.
I generally get the bulk pack at Canadian tire when they are on sale, there are 100+ in there for like $4. Different sizes but only red/green/black, so not much variety.

Putting them on chicks does require a lot of attention, I had two that went too long this year and I felt terrible. I mostly use them for birds I have brought in so I know what line they are, but was trying to band all my black (lavender) project birds and that became a huge headache, so just put them all in a brooder by themselves till they are older and changing bands isn't so often...

I have one bird from another breeder, got her 3-4 years ago now and she still has her zip ties from him on her. He must have had a system where different colors from different lines on different feet? She has 3 zip ties on her, one color on her right foot and 2 different colors on her left foot. So that is an option too.

7Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

These are the ones I have used in the past
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Bandettes.

8Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 am

Thats a good idea, Hidden. It would just take some good record keeping.

9Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:45 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice, bright colours (like neon pink) are exactly what I'm after. Next city trip, Peavey Mart/Princess Auto here I come! Thank you guys. Smile 

Hidden River wrote:These are the ones I have used in the past
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Bandettes.

I did manage to find some of these in pink. cyclops Hopefully I picked the right size...

Interesting about using multiple bands. I've heard of people putting coloured beads on zips as well, though I've never tried it myself.

Last edited by Flicker Chick on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to fix the eye)

10Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use zip ties with a plastic bead, or two, to band my flock.

Bought cheap, neon plastic beads at Walmart. Green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, pink. Just make sure they have a big enough hole for the zip tie.

I buy basic white zip ties. If you sell or butcher the bird, the bead is reusable.

I tried this with wooden beads, but the dye came out of the wood and they all just looked like wood before too long. The plastic beads never lose their colour.

I keep records of who wears a green bead, or green and purple, or just a purple, or purple and blue. The possibility for combinations is vast. YOu could even get sparkly beads, or neon beads, or primary coloured beads, or clear beads...your banding possibilities are limitless.

When it's time to remove, I clip the zip tie with a wire snipper.

For marking really young chicks, I use a blob of water colour (from a tube) it's like coloured toothpaste. On the top of their head. This wears off quickly, but if reapplied, it is a way to identify for a short time.

11Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:03 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

This year I used the numbered bandettes on my pullets but also a spiral leg band underneath b/c they don't fit snug enough yet.
I found I had to buy smaller than I figured for my Doms, they don't have real big legs even the roosters and then the spiral is my backup too.
Chantecler_eh? still has zip ties on some 5 year old Buckeyes, once they are sized for the adult leg they are remarkably durable...I hear you about using them with growing chicks though, had that happen here too..

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

12Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've been using those spiral numbered ones like in the first post, but having a lot of trouble with them falling off. It's frustrating when you make records associating a particular bird with the number, then start finding the bands laying out in the chicken pen. Rolling Eyes 
I read somewhere that you could fuse them on using a hot glue gun, but frankly this combination seems rather risky: smoking hot glue gun, burning hot dripping glue, big heavy wiggly chicken....
A very good assistant would be needed, that's for sure!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

ha ha I can see the helper ending up running for the hills alright with that scenario!
I have looked at the butt end aluminum ones that you squeeze together, they do come with numbers but not being colored they didn't appeal as much.
I think you need to have at least two methods of id as leg bands are not foolproof.
I am wondering about toe punching, I think I could do that now.as well as banding. I hear you about seeing the leg band in the dirt Kathy!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

14Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, you are one smart cookie! I know I’ve seen plastic numbered beads, so thinking I’ll try that too. Very Happy 

smoking hot glue gun, burning hot dripping glue, big heavy wiggly chicken....

Oh dear. lol I would definitely need a helper or two. That brought back flashes of when I tried to trim spurs alone with my dremel. One person job he said... HAH!

Miry, I agree completely about needing at least two methods of ID. Toe punching is great for tracking family lines, but not so much for individuals. And it’s super easy, once you get the hang of it. What size bandettes did you buy?

15Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:03 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:I use zip ties with a plastic bead, or two, to band my flock.

Bought cheap, neon plastic beads at Walmart. Green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, pink. Just make sure they have a big enough hole for the zip tie.

I buy basic white zip ties. If you sell or butcher the bird, the bead is reusable.

I tried this with wooden beads, but the dye came out of the wood and they all just looked like wood before too long. The plastic beads never lose their colour.

I keep records of who wears a green bead, or green and purple, or just a purple, or purple and blue. The possibility for combinations is vast. YOu could even get sparkly beads, or neon beads, or primary coloured beads, or clear beads...your banding possibilities are limitless.

For marking really young chicks, I use a blob of water colour (from a tube) it's like coloured toothpaste. On the top of their head. This wears off quickly, but if reapplied, it is a way to identify for a short time.

Can you buy plastic beads with numbers or letters on them ?
Geri

Last edited by Rasilon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

16Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:10 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rasilon wrote:
uno wrote:I use zip ties with a plastic bead, or two, to band my flock.

I keep records of who wears a green bead, or green and purple, or just a purple, or purple and blue. The possibility for combinations is vast.  YOu could even get sparkly beads, or neon beads, or primary coloured beads, or clear beads...your banding possibilities are limitless.

CAn you buy pleastic beads with numbers or letters on them ?
Geri

YES to both! I know this because I've seen them....just can't recall where atm. Probably a craft store, or craft section.

17Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Don't the beads get in the way? NO issues with them?

I haven't banded anything but I need to do the toulouse geese and the zip ties sure would be simple.

18Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:44 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[
CAn you buy pleastic beads with numbers or letters on them ?
Geri[/quote]

YES to both! I know this because I've seen them....just can't recall where atm. Probably a craft store, or craft section.[/quote]

Cool the nI couldput their names on them.. Stew, Buffy, Rocky lolollolollol

19Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing Rasilon

Cathyjk wrote:Don't the beads get in the way? NO issues with them?

I haven't banded anything but I need to do the toulouse geese and the zip ties sure would be simple.

I wondered that too...hopefully uno will comment.

20Plastic Coil Leg Bands Empty Re: Plastic Coil Leg Bands Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank for this post! I just tried the bandettes and have to agree that they do fall off and that is very frustrating. I had them on my EO cockerels so that I could identify who was crowing his way to freezer camp, so the falling off was not a huge deal but it could have been if I was marking them for breeding reasons etc. I love the beaded idea with numbers on them for adult birds.

XOX Monika

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum