Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duck egg quandry

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duck egg quandry Empty Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have Rouens and Muscovys. They live together but keep to their own species. Yes, I know they can interbreed.

They are now laying, and I can't tell the difference between the eggs. If I incubate together, do I stop turning them 3 days befor the Rouen hatch, 3 days before the Muscovy hatch, or just keep turning up until they all hatch!

2Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your Rouen eggs should be a green color and Muscovies whitish coloring.
As for hatching I would not incubate together unless you had a seperate hatcher. The muscovy eggs are going to take a week longer than your rouen eggs do, so just going to mix things up by trying to stop turning and hatching before the muscovy eggs are ready.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

4Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good idea Tara- should work in the old Hovabator. I will give it a try.

So- one egg yesterday sounds like a Muscovy. We are off to a good start.

5Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

What about starting the eggs that need the longer incubation, sooner. So if they need 5 days longer, put them in the incubator and turn them for 5 days and then add the others and turn all of them. That should put them all at lockdown for hatching at the same time.

Remember, I don't know nothin bout ducks.......

6Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, that is a good idea, but wouldn't it cool the incubator too much? I have been adding goose eggs to the old hova, in groups of 3, one every 12 hours and was planning to hatch in boxes similar to Taras. I didn't dare add all 3 at once for fear they would bring down the temp too much.

Hidden, I have one egg so far that is pale buff with an ever so slight green tone, but definitely not green. Waxy looking. Would you guess Muscovy?

7Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, I really don't think that is an issue. I had the power go out on one of my hatches in the middle of winter in OZ. Not as cold as here, but it was in a back room on a wood floor. It was out for 12 hours. They all hatched fine, just about half a day later.
I think we worry about temp drops to much. The hens go off the nest to do things when they are brooding, same difference I think.

8Duck egg quandry Empty Re: Duck egg quandry Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, I have thought about these temperature spikes and drops often. I have a feeling far more damage is done in a temp change at the BEGINNING of a hatch rather than the end. At the beginning the little germs are just forming and very delicat and tiny, but at the end, the chick is almost fully cooked and ready to pop out.

Anyway, off topic as usual. May the spirit of Confucious strike me down! Back to the duck talk!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum