Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duck ID needed

+3
Prairie Chick
coopslave
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duck ID needed Empty Duck ID needed Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The ducks themselves are huge and look like an upright Rouen with a slimmer body and lighter brown feathering on the hen.

The eggs are very large and are a grayish blue green.

They were bought at the Innisfail auction.

They don't look like anything in my standard of perfection.

Meat production cross... Or something else?

2Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

PICTURES! Rolling Eyes

3Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Tue May 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rouen X Runner perhaps

4Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a duck that matches that description exactly, including the egg colour. When I bought her, I was told she was an Appleyard, Saxony cross...I'm still researching it, but it's starting to look like the way duck genetics works, it's pretty easy for a duck to revert to the wild mallard pattern.

http://countrythyme.ca

5Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 6:44 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry, they are not mine, so I have no pictures. My first thought was Rouen/Runner cross.

6Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 11:16 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Country Thyme Farm wrote:I have a duck that matches that description exactly, including the egg colour. When I bought her, I was told she was an Appleyard, Saxony cross...I'm still researching it, but it's starting to look like the way duck genetics works, it's pretty easy for a duck to revert to the wild mallard pattern.

Hey Country Thyme Farm,

Seeing now I sold you those ducks I can offer some insight into them, as I am still researching myself as they are definitely a cross and I am seeing new and unseen coloration/Markings in this years's hatchlings.
We have hatched out a few more ducklings this season from the adult stock, same adults that parented your ducks.
I am now seeing ducklings that are showing different colour patterns and markings, I have one Duckling that has developed a crest on its head or pom pom.

My research on this flock has definitely revealed that they are yes a cross breed, but more so than I thought.

They were sold to myself when I was still new to ducks, as Silver Appleyard Crosses. I found out that also had Saxony in their lines, up until recently that's all I thought they were.
But now digging around and speaking with fellow Duck enthusiasts, It is now rather obvious that these lines also have Welsh Harlequin in them as well, and we can't forget about the Mallard genes either.
That dark hen you are speaking about is the only one I have seen come through so far in all our breedings with this flock.

I hope you are not upset or disappointed, I also hope the ducks are doing well.

Feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Jon

I

7Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 2:10 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Jonny Anvil wrote:
Country Thyme Farm wrote:I have a duck that matches that description exactly, including the egg colour. When I bought her, I was told she was an Appleyard, Saxony cross...I'm still researching it, but it's starting to look like the way duck genetics works, it's pretty easy for a duck to revert to the wild mallard pattern.

Hey Country Thyme Farm,

Seeing now I sold you those ducks I can offer some insight into them, as I am still researching myself as they are definitely a cross and I am seeing new and unseen coloration/Markings in this years's hatchlings.
We have hatched out a few more ducklings this season from the adult stock, same adults that parented your ducks.
I am now seeing ducklings that are showing different colour patterns and markings, I have one Duckling that has developed a crest on its head or pom pom.

My research on this flock has definitely revealed that they are yes a cross breed, but more so than I thought.

They were sold to myself when I was still new to ducks, as Silver Appleyard Crosses. I found out that also had Saxony in their lines, up until recently that's all I thought they were.
But now digging around and speaking with fellow Duck enthusiasts, It is now rather obvious that these lines also have Welsh Harlequin in them as well, and we can't forget about the Mallard genes either.
That dark hen you are speaking about is the only one I have seen come through so far in all our breedings with this flock.

I hope you are not upset or disappointed, I also hope the ducks are doing well.

Feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Jon

I

Oh, don't worry I'm not upset at all. Though a pure silver appleyard flock is my eventual goal, it's been lots of fun working with this quad (I only kept the one drake with the closest markings to appleyard) I've hatched out 5 ducklings from them so far and I got three with the dark colouration, and one of them even popped out completely buff! I'm letting a couple of them sit on a big communal nest right now so we'll see what else comes of them. Even if I end up just eating the lot and starting fresh, I'm having tons of fun with it Jonny!

Mallard derived ducks are new to me too, and I'm learning so much from these birds it's been great.

9Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 4:32 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Oh, don't worry I'm not upset at all. Though a pure silver appleyard flock is my eventual goal, it's been lots of fun working with this quad (I only kept the one drake with the closest markings to appleyard) I've hatched out 5 ducklings from them so far and I got three with the dark colouration, and one of them even popped out completely buff! I'm letting a couple of them sit on a big communal nest right now so we'll see what else comes of them. Even if I end up just eating the lot and starting fresh, I'm having tons of fun with it Jonny!

Mallard derived ducks are new to me too, and I'm learning so much from these birds it's been great.

Ok good,

I have to agree I am having fun with them as well, Glad to hear you are happy! Very Happy

10Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad to see I am not the only hijacker around here! Very Happy

11Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Glad to see I am not the only hijacker around here! Very Happy

I didn't do it on purpose I swear! Very Happy

12Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Wed May 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, yeah, I have you marked as a trouble maker, buddy!

13Duck ID needed Empty Re: Duck ID needed Thu May 17, 2012 8:54 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can find a pic here of a Rouen drake/ fawn and White Runner duck cross.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/370012/welsh-harlequin-and-indian-runner-crosses

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum