Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

help for baby duck

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1help for baby duck Empty help for baby duck Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks anyway...the little duckling just died....just quit breathing....I tried to keep her warm, but I guess she was too sick. I am heartbroken.

We hatched a baby, female Welsh harlequin duckling about a week ago. We put them in the incubator and as they hatched the female Muscovy would take them.  This little duckling had trouble coming out of her shell so she remained in the incubator for an extra day, then she went out with her siblings and everything seemed to be fine. All was well, the mum was taking good care of the little ones and then we had some really cool weather. We saw the mum sitting on the little ones to keep them warm. This morning I took a friend out to see them and noticed that the little yellow one was lagging behind. When I picked her up, she was gasping. I am not sure what is wrong with her, if a respiratory infection or what. Has anyone experienced this with a duckling. The others seem fine.

2help for baby duck Empty Re: help for baby duck Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:53 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am also new to ducks and having my own trials with ducklings, who eat like pigs, then gasp and choke. Wish I could help you, but am just here to say I'm sharing the learning curve.

I doubt yours choked to death, as despite panicking that they were choking, none of them seem to have actually choked. Three might have been something wrong from the start, and you have no way of knowing that. Sorry to hear about the little critter, hope the others grow and do well.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum