Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eating Egg Prices- What does a dozen cost in your neck of the woods?

+14
jon.w
happychicks
Blue Hill Farm
Susan
rosewood
fuzzylittlefriend
ChicoryFarm
la-chicken
KatuskiFarms
smokyriver
ipf
Bowker Acres
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

And of course I am talking farm eggs here!

I live near Drayton Valley. There is not a big market for farm eggs here. After all they are $1.89 in Walmart.

I ask $3.00 a dozen for my lovely, medium sized, rainbow eggs. It doesn't pay for feed, but I produce more than I need so it helps to offset the cost a little. There is not a big demand.

When I worked in Edmonton 3 years ago I asked $4.00 a dozen and was always sold out.

Sue

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My eggs sell around $3 a dozen, I do give bulk discounts on 10 or more dozen if I am overloaded. But the flow of the eggs is my biggest issue. My buyers go on binges, and that leaves me with an overloaded fridge some weeks, and scrambling the next...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't sell eggs and if I have extra I give them away or trade for other goodies. When I used to buy from my neighbour I kept giving her $3 a dozen and she insisted on giving me $0.50 change. I still don't thing she charges enough.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We charge $5, and NEVER have enough to meet demand.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't get enough eggs to sell, but my neighbor sells eggs for $2.50/dozen. She is usually sold out. There is another fellow that just moved into the area who is trying to sell his eggs for $4.00 per dozen, and very seldom sells any.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just outside of Grande Prairie I sell 5-6 doz per week at 3$, to friend neighbors, teachers etc. I think $3 is as low as one should be selling them for here. My kids and I were looking in egg cartons at Save-On Foods just a few days ago. Now that is a funny thing to do if you havent seen store eggs in a while! Anyways, reg large brown egg 2.89 doz, organic RabbitRiver Brown eggs $7/ doz.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:My eggs sell around $3 a dozen, I do give bulk discounts on 10 or more dozen if I am overloaded. But the flow of the eggs is my biggest issue. My buyers go on binges, and that leaves me with an overloaded fridge some weeks, and scrambling the next...

I hear you. I am the reverse. I don't have special laying hens and I cannot be consistant with supply when I am hatching. I find it hard to build up regular customers.

Last year I offered duck eggs for $5 a dozen. Two takers and no return buyers.

I wish I lived near IPF.

Sue

I sell all the eggs I need to (excess) at $3.50 and have several people who will take them when I have them, and get them elsewhere when I don't. In winter I give most of them away to the 2 neighbours who plow the snow in my yard.

la-chicken

I sell a dozen for $3.00. I have a consent stream of customers.
I just ask people straight up. " Do you want to buy a dozen of fresh farm eggs for $3.00" ?
More often than not they say yes. And will become a repeat customer.

I often have a dozen in my van in a cooler when I go to sport events, meetings, and family events.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

$5 from chickens fed organic grains.

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I sell for $4 dozen here for my large eggs and 3$ for the medium. I have a few people that "size does not matter" and give me $4 even for the medium. I am in the same boat as with hidden. I have several snow bird customers who have gone south for the winter and people traveling. Just after christmas my fridge was overflowing and I managed to move them then the next week decided to fill the incubator. Now this week the fridge was fairly empty after the deep freeze last week. Then Yesterday I had a lady picking up 3 dozen that then wanted 5 and by the end of the day two more phone calls totalling 6 dozen and I know there are a few more regulars who will be calling any day.

I raised my prices tiwce last year from $3 then new customers were $3.50 then in august I realized they were not really paying for them selves and raised it straight across to $4. At least now I have everyone in production now but in the summer I had 25 pullets eating food but not producing yet!

Tables eggs are a finicky business!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ours sell for $4.50 per dozen at the Farmers' Market at Sun Peaks or during the ski season we set up in the parking lot and sell to our regular customers plus skiiers. Some times are better than others and we always have problems between Sun Peaks summer events and the beginning of skiing. We charge a bit less for people buying from the farm or at work. It is hard to sell in Barriere as there are many people selling farm eggs.

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I charge $6 delivered and $5 at the door. I sell about 25- 30 doz a week. (All regular customers). I deliver on Tuesdays(it takes just under 2 hours) and bill at the end of the month. I also sell produce in the summer I'm very thankful for a wonderful client group Smile

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shocked Wow, what an amazing difference in prices!

I've totally given up on selling my chickens beautiful, rainbow eggs to the public – they just don’t want to pay, even at $2.50 a dozen. Suspect Now my only regular customers are my mother and her husband, whom I keep well stocked for the luv. My SIL down the road sells her eggs for $2.00 a dozen to the local Mennonite families in our area.

I also like to gift eggs to people whenever possible. The nice, gentleman who came across the lake on short notice to clean out our septic tank last fall left our place with a couple dozen eggs and an ear to ear grin. It’s nice to see someone so pleased with so little. Very Happy

I also live near Drayton Valley. We tried selling eggs at my husbands shop. They showed interest when they heard we had chickens and asked for him to bring in eggs. So we did, $2.50 a dozen of medium to mostly extra large sized eggs, of mixed colour. But the cartons just sat in the coffee room fridge, not moving from that location till hubby brought them back home. They were clean and lovely with great flavour but no buyers. And I wouldn't lower the price as that was giving them away as it was. So we no longer try and sell them there. Haha, more for me! I guess I could try and market them more heavily but am to busy with other things. My Bro sometimes takes a carton but I do not charge him. I always send my parents home with a whole thwack of cartons when they visit. Razz

When I have pigs I give the extras to them and they love them! And so good for them too! Or I cook up all the old eggs and feed them back to the chickens or to my dogs. We eat a lot of eggs, so between a house full of boys and the dogs the "crop dusting" in this house can get a little dizzying! Lol We love our farm eggs... Boosh!

We had a restaurant in town wanting us to supply them farm eggs "under the table" for $2.00 a dozen but I said no.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dutch Girl wrote:I also live near Drayton Valley. We tried selling eggs at my husbands shop. They showed interest when they heard we had chickens and asked for him to bring in eggs. So we did, $2.50 a dozen of medium to mostly extra large sized eggs, of mixed colour. But the cartons just sat in the coffee room fridge, not moving from that location till hubby brought them back home. They were clean and lovely with great flavour but no buyers. And I wouldn't lower the price as that was giving them away as it was. So we no longer try and sell them there. Haha, more for me!

My competition! Aha!

I should add none of my eggs are sold locally. My husband takes them to work in Nisku near Edmonton. And yes, I too give them to people who help me out, even if I am paying them!

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We sell ours at $2.75/doz. Some people around here sell for $3.00 but I just put up my price last year and didn't want to increase it. Our sales this year is way down from what they have been but one of our local grocery stores has had several egg sales for $2.00/doz so that has affected sales of homegrown eggs.

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

we sell are eggs for $4.00 but going to raise that to $4.50 or $5 our feed prices have gone up also we feed the birds non GMO custom omega 3 feed blend. Very Happy

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always end up giving all mine away.... Rolling Eyes
I am shockin about asking for money for stuff I raise or produce.... Rolling Eyes
I suppose I should get over that.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I give lots of mine away but a dear friend sell them for 6.00 a dozen and does not have a problem selling them and many times does not have enough.

http://www.popscoops.com

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Smart friend you must have, Pops Smile

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:I always end up giving all mine away.... Rolling Eyes
I am shockin about asking for money for stuff I raise or produce.... Rolling Eyes
I suppose I should get over that.

What a businesswoman!

You can give me some anytime, Coopslave! Just so you know, I am partial to those blue ones...

Sue

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The going price around here is $2/dozen. For that reason I rarely sell eggs, I mostly barter them for fresh baking, give them to the neighbors in return for them looking after for my chickens whenever I am away...

I am shocked by the strange ideas about the value (or lack thereof) of farm eggs around here...

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It shocks me too at how little value people put on real food. Good Lord- 50 cents an egg??? The perfect protein that all other protein is compared to? Shocking! And that it was produced by hens who live a decent life? Like I say, I am so glad for the people who buy my eggs. They get it. The time, the effort, the heritage birds, their lifestyle. I wouldn't do it any other way. I would feed the extras to my dogs before I would do it for less. Having said that, I do know some truly needy families ( not those with big mortgages and toys) who need good food and make sure they get a doz or 2 when needed as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum