Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eggs and eating them

+16
ChicoryFarm
CynthiaM
jon.w
happychicks
BriarwoodPoultry
chickeesmom
Schipperkesue
pops coops
uno
SerJay
ipf
nuthatch333
silkiebantam
Sultan
Hidden River
Piet
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Eggs and eating them Empty Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:50 pm

So here's a question (and I'm stealing time at work to write this, so I'm being quick):

Do you eat fertilized eggs? Is there a difference in flavor? If you keep a rooster in with your hens, I'm (I hate doing this) assuming all of your eggs are fertilized, or the majority thereof.

Also, on a side branch, do you allow your chickens to hatch their own eggs?

2Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Quick answer for a quick question bounce

In your questions order: YES, NO, YES, YES! bounce

Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes I eat fertilized eggs, there is no taste difference, nothing different about them really, and to an untrained eye you wouldnt know if they were fertile or not.
I have in the past let hens hatch out eggs, still do later in the summer.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Sultan

Sultan

I do they don't taste any different, you don't incubate them. I let my chickens incubate there own eggs.

5Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Higher Protein, with the extra Rooster Juice in there! lol! (I don't really know about that, but it sounded good!) Hey, maybe you could market your eggs as high protein eggs, and sell them to body builders or something. hee hee!

We eat the fertilized ones, no problem and no difference taste wise.

I did have someone tell me that they didn't want eggs from me because I had roosters though. I think they were thinking that if you get a blood spot in your eggs, this was from the rooster's mating with the hens.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

6Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When I first got chickens, I didn't think eating fertilized eggs was OK, commercially they are not allowed to sell fertilized eggs. However as I become more experienced with chickens I came to realized that the difference between a fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg is only the matter of a few cells (ipf correct me if I am wrong) I expect the small fertilized embryo is only about the size of a pin head. It is not until incubation begins that these cells begin to multiple. It is so inconsequentially small you really shouldn't worry about it.
Trust me eating a hot dog is much, much, more unpalatable.

7Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Piet wrote:Quick answer for a quick question bounce

Piet
............dido

8Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Like pretty much everyone else here, we eat fertilised eggs, find no difference in flavour, and have no qualms whatsoever about it. We hatch out lots of chicks (under hens) every spring.

If you have roos, yes, pretty well all your eggs will be fertile. You can tell a fertile egg by the little round white donut, clear in the centre, about 3mm in diameter, on the surface of the yolk. An infertile egg will have a small amorphous white blob, about the same size.

Blood spots have nothing to do with fertilisation.

I know of no law that prohibits sale of fertilised eggs? I've also heard more than a few stories of people hatching supermarket eggs, which suggests otherwise.

9Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:51 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I like Piets answer! Same for us. We eat both the duck and chicken and we don't keep the males separate except a month or so before I separate for breeding.
We started cracking my duck eggs open last year to check fertility in my ducks. I quite often hard boil Bantam eggs for the kids lunches. Well as I picked up my 7yr old son (who loves checking eggs with me) announced that he had a fertilized egg for lunch and it was just as yummy. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall as he announced and explained fertilized eggs to his peers and teacher LOL.
We did incubate some eggs and we also let both an older chicken brood and an older duck brood. I think the babies brooded by the mommas did much better and it was a lot cheaper and easier!

10Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We eat fertilized eggs.

The hen's diet affects egg flavour, NOT the presence or absence or a rooster.

A hen is THE VERY BEST incubator you will ever find so if you want to hatch chicks, want more of the breeds you have, and have a willing hen, you are good to go!

11Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes we aet the eggs that have been fertilized, and no diff in tast and yes we let our hens raise a clutch or 2 I have about 2 or so hens that go broody and it is so warm to the heart to see a hen with her chicks, in fact I have turkeys and guineas and peafowl that all raise young.

http://www.popscoops.com

12Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, no, yes, yes!

AND

Did you now that in some ritzy markets in the US (and probably here in Canada too) fertilized eating eggs sell for a premium!

Sue

13Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Yes, no, yes, yes!

AND

Did you now that in some ritzy markets in the US (and probably here in Canada too) fertilized eating eggs sell for a premium!

Sue

Yes they do and maran eggs for upwards of 20.00 for eating

http://www.popscoops.com

14Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Really? Why more? Is it the rooster protien thing Wink

Also, do Maran eggs sell higher for their novelty?

15Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

prairie dog wrote:

Piet
............dido

dido, dido.

16Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Something I have learned is that there are some people who will only eat white shelled eggs, some will only eat brown shelled eggs and others who know better and find the novelty of multi coloured shells are fun Very Happy

17Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 pm

LOL. This thread has been really helpful. I think I should clarify: I knew you COULD eat fertilized eggs, but I didn't know if people DID or if there was a set of reservations people put out for it. I'm not queezy about it.

If you're selling eggs, is it something you disclose, or does it just go unmentioned? Theres a lady at work who, when she caught wind i was getting chickens, offered to buy a dozen eggs a week.

Also, since we're talking eggs, is there anything else I should know about them that I probably do not know (as a laymen to this whole thing).

18Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Always store the pointy end down.

You can test an egg to see if it is too old to eat, put eggs in a bowl of water. If they float, get rid of them. If they are fresh they will lay down like good little eggies should. When they start to get a bit old but are still good for baking they will stand up.

19Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

chickeesmom wrote:Always store the pointy end down.

You can test an egg to see if it is too old to eat, put eggs in a bowl of water. If they float, get rid of them. If they are fresh they will lay down like good little eggies should. When they start to get a bit old but are still good for baking they will stand up.

How interesting. Even I don't think I can mess that up.

20Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We sell marans eggs mixed in with our eating eggs, as we have a few hens that aren't breeding quality. We don't sell them for any higher price then any other egg Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

21Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened wrote:LOL.

If you're selling eggs, is it something you disclose, or does it just go unmentioned? Theres a lady at work who, when she caught wind i was getting chickens, offered to buy a dozen eggs a week.

I rarely mention it to my customers but most of them have grown up eating home grown eggs and probably had a rooster in the flock. A few girls that come here for homecare to look after Dad when I go out have bought eggs and some of them are not as familiar with backyard chickens so ask more questions. I've never had anyone refuse to buy eggs because they are fertilized.

On a side note, we have a banty hen in our basement right now with three little babies. Just hatched over the weekend. It is the neatest thing to watch a Momma hen with babies. They are such good Mommas.

22Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Apparently there are special diets that recommend fertile eggs. They claim they are more easily digested. I don't think so.

Sue

23Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

chickeesmom wrote:
prairie dog wrote:

Piet
............dido

dido, dido.
dido dido dido Very Happy

24Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is a good subject and yes we eat fertilized eggs, no they don't taste anything different. As said, to the untrained eye, no one would notice what a fertilized egg would look like anyways. Before I understood what a fertilized egg looked like, I thought it was that little red dot one sometimes find, or a larger red mark. That is not the rooster mark, that is a bit of the intestinal lining that has sloughed off, or a bit of blood from a broken blood vessel. We still eat those, and it does not bother me one little bit.

I have a story, now imagine that. My youngest Daughter's Husband is a bit of an over-reactionary fellow, he worries about things, especially when things are not right. Well, that made a whole lotta sense now didn't it? I am speaking like, if a steak is thawed and not cooked for a couple of days, he freaks out and won't eat it, or if something is cooked and is more than 2 days old (meat I am speaking of), he is very worried that he is going to die if he eats that. These are the kinds of worries that he has, odd, as he is such a risktaker in life with so many other things. Oh well.

One morning my Daughter was still in bed, it was her day off, Hubby had to go to work. She could hear him swearin' up a storm in the kitchen and came out to see what was up. He said, I can't eat these eggs, they got backbones in them. Well, what the dickens is that all about!!! It was probably September, and he knew I had been incubating my brains out over the past few months. I had stopped incubating and ALWAYS gather eggs every day and store them properly. He knows that. He knows me. He knows how anal I am about EVERYTHING and that includes cleanliness and well, just takin' care of business in the best way that I can. He always, and I mean always, takes my advice on stuff, I am his leaning pool for any question regarding health, can I eat this safely, can I eat that safely, etc., you get the gist.

So this man, standing in the kitchen, breaking an egg (oh did I mention these are my farm fresh eggs, probably no older than a week, gathered and washed and refrigerated within a day of picking), and he saw a spine of a chick. Nope.

That was him and his over-reactive nature. She assured him that his Mother in Law would not have a growing baby in one of her freshly picked and cleaned eggs. Do you think he would believe that? Nope. He said it was a spine. She told me what it was. It was a blood dot.....brother. So from that day until he got over his trauma of the spine of a forming baby chick (we know it was just a blood spot, but he wouldn't believe it) was over, he got his white eggs, bought from the store, the rest of her family got the good ol', FRESH, farm eggs.

I had a wonderful relationship with my Sons-in-Laws, they love me to pieces and I am a treasure to them, they treat me well. I can speak anything I like to them, I am their gal of wisdom and they listen. They know if I do not know something, I will not speak to it, or ever give misinformation, I just stay quiet, but if I know something, I stick to my guns and will tell them what is up and what is down. I spoke to him, explaining what a fertilized egg looks like. That little white donut that you can barely see, and I showed that to him. I assured him that he would never in his lifetime, find a baby chick growing in one of the eggs that came from my chickenyards, because of the heat that must be applied to an egg for a couple of days before any action of something growing within could be seen. I explained to him that I gather eggs daily and they are cooled, not heated up. Never in his wildest dreams would he ever get from me an egg that had a baby chick growing within (well...... Twisted Evil , dear Son-in-Law, don't piss off your Mother-in-Law, you might find a surprise in an egg one day, oops, did I say that, that was my inner voice, smiling that big smile). I explained to him I know what he saw, and that it was a speck of two of blood, and I also explained to him what that was, and it was not the vertebrae of a baby chick. I know he trusted me, he has no reason to not trust me. He is eating brown eggs again, ones that came from my birds.

This is how the mind can take over and all kinds of scarey, to some people, things can manifest. Knowledge is powerful. And now this man is armed with the power to know what can sometimes be found in a homegrown chicken egg, that may just turn ya off a little. I told him to just pick out that little red mark with a spoon, and I am sure he does. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

25Eggs and eating them Empty Re: Eggs and eating them Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:56 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:LOL. This thread has been really helpful. I think I should clarify: I knew you COULD eat fertilized eggs, but I didn't know if people DID or if there was a set of reservations people put out for it. I'm not queezy about it.

Also, since we're talking eggs, is there anything else I should know about them that I probably do not know (as a laymen to this whole thing).

Hey Sweetened in regards to your last sentence above, I don't include eggs that got quite soiled even if they do wash clean. A little bit of manure is not an issue. But any that are more than slightly dirty I wash, boil up and give to our spoiled dog. And for the most part my chickens eggs are clean from the beginning because I keep my nest boxes clean and most of the birds bottoms are clean. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum