Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duckling with a twisted neck

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We had 3 little ducklings hatch yesterday.  The first was perfectly fine and the second hatched while we were out working in the yard so it was a couple hours old when we first saw it.  The third came later in the day just as we were coming in.  The third one was out but it didn't straighten out it's neck.  It was like it was trying to turn it's neck all the way around the wrong way.  It was the last to hatch so I reached in and straightened out the neck.  5mins later it had turned it's head right around wrong again so I reached in and straightened it again and this time it stayed straight and it's now doing fabulous.  The second to hatch though it seems had the same problem but I didn't notice until last night so it keeps it's head tipped to one side so it always looks like it's listening intently.  It's getting to food and water just fine and I can move to head over and tip it to the opposite side fine.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen this and whether it will out grow this issue or if we must cull.  Anyone with thoughts or ideas I'd appreciate it we're newbies Smile Is there something I should change in my incubating or hatching to make sure this doesn't happen or is it just one of those things that we will have to take as natures way.

2Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Re: Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am guessing, butI think this could be thiamine deficiency - vitamin B1 or perhaps Niacin deficiency.

It sounds like what you are describing is opisthotonus - "star gazing"

You can add some vitamins to their water, that probably would be good.
Foods high in thiamine: sources of vitamin B1 include asparagus, romaine lettuce, mushrooms, spinach, sunflower seeds, green peas, tomatoes, eggplant and Brussels sprouts.

I put nutritional yeast in to the chicken feed.

It doesn't mean you have a deficiency, just from what you have described is sort of sounds like it. If it is, the duckling will get worse.

Anyone else, thoughts?

3Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Re: Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 6:20 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have poulevite in their water but not sure how else to get vits to it. It just hatched yesterday afternoon so giving veggies is that a good idea at this age?? The 3 buff ducklings that hatched early the day before are all perfectly normal. The first Cayuga duckling had perfectly normal neck and everything it was just the last 2 later hatchers and the last one I straightened as it came out and now it also looks completely normal. This one duckling seems to keep it's head to the side and does look like it's "star gazing" and so walks like a drunk but gets where it's going and stays with the others doing all the normal ducky things but looks so strange. Is there a better vitamin to get into them or are veggies ok this early? Thanx for info. I'd hate to cull if I can help the little one

4Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Re: Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Serena, I don't know when ducklings can start having veggies, but I bet it's soon.
I don't know if you can find some B1 vitamins and crush one up, put it in some water and eye dropper it in?? And I think sometimes individuals just have different tolerances to diet than the others. I think you would have had to have had a severe deficiency for it to show up in every duckling--so I expect it's just the make up of that individual, if this even is deficiency.

I know you can supplement the diet of goslings--would that be ok for ducklings too then???-- with fresh grass clippings or lettuce (and great if you can give them a short run daily--if it's warm out--to pick their own). If they get greens they should have grit available. Shred greens quite fine or they can cause intestinal blockage.

If you can find a health food store, you can get a small amount of nutritional yeast, not brewers yeast, and sprinkle some on the food. Yeast is high in all the B vitamins. Whatever you choose, don't over do it, you know, last thing is to put too much in and cause another reaction!

Cathy

Last edited by Cathyjk on Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Re: Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 9:12 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx so much Carhy you gave me a place to start looking with the star gazing and vitamin deficiency so I did some research. It seems others have had good luck by giving liquid baby vits. I will pick some up and try it tomorrow morning. For now I've strengthened the poulevite in the water as it is doing all the ducky things like the others and seems to have no trouble eating or drinking. It just looks very strange. It doesn't seem as exaggerated as it did last night but maybe it's just wishful thinking... I'll let you know how the baby bit drops work Smile Thanx so much for your help!!

6Duckling with a twisted neck Empty Re: Duckling with a twisted neck Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey, baby vitamins sound like a good idea!!!
Ducklings need niacin and thiamine, so the drops I think are a good option. Keep me posted.
It's a good sign the duckling is eating and drinking, maybe the vitamins since yesterday are having some effect.

Cathy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum