Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wry neck? and how to deal with it?

+2
CynthiaM
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I was checking out my chicks tonight and found one two week old silkie with its head twisted right upside down! I took him out and gave him a bit of poly-vi-sol and water from a syringe. When I set him by the food, he ate as best he could.

I have no experience with this, but it sounds li me descriptions of wry neck I have heard before.

What exactly is the treatment? I thought I had heard it is caused by a deficiency. Why would he have a deficiency and no one else? They are fed medicated chick starter.

2Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had this kind of thing happen with a buff orpington chick that was 3 weeks old. It scared me. I can't help you with anything but this is what I saw. I watched a chick drink and it put its head all the way back to its back as it swallowed. I thought that for surely this chick was a gonner. Watched it and it did this a couple more times and then carried on like it was normal. I watched for about an hour and never saw it again. There is no evidence of anything. So I wonder if this is just something that will pass...maybe it is something like what I saw. Hope you find resolution to this. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

3Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw one like this in a hatchery chick I had a couple years ago. Thought he wasn't going to make it but after a couple days couldn't tell which one he was.
I think if you are willing to help it drink for a couple days it might get over it.
Other than that I don't know what else you could try, the vitamins might do the trick.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

4Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've been thinking about this. I do wonder if some chicks may get a vitamin deficiency, because just like other species, some may not absorb vitamins properly. This comes from hearing about some humans not absorbing certain vitamins and others do. Hopefully you will get some comments that help you out. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

5Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That makes sense to me Cynthia. I had a couple guinea keets with bad wry neck. I treated them with poly-vi-sol three times a day for a good week or more and one eventually recovered. The other had to be put down though. Poor thing couldn't eat or drink it was getting so bad. Sad

Hope your little silkie recovers...

6Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I treated this on a turkey with Vitamin E, I poked a hole in the gel tablet and squished it in its mouth 3 times a day. With in a few days he was good.

7Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Empty Re: Wry neck? and how to deal with it? Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had this twice in my chicks. All I did was separate it for a few days (keeping with the flock stresses it out and triggers the bizarre movement even more) and it passed both times. But I would never use that bird for breeding so you'd want to mark it with an elastic leg band for future reference.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum