Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

bad and frustrating day yesterday

+4
uno
Dan Smith
Skeffling Lavender Farm
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was out with my birds just wondering around and sitting with them. Studying the growing pullets and looking at the older girls that have gone through their second moult. One hen in particular caught my eye. I have always liked her, she has such good size. Well she has moulted into the most beautiful pencilling. Her ground colour is a bit light, but she really is a lovely type of bird and has the pencilling I covet! Guess who didn`t come back from free ranging last night! RRRRRrrrrr! I should know better than to think highly of one bird, something always happens to them. I was so looking forward to breeding with her next year.

All day yesterday I had been struggling with a new broody. Eggs were hatching and she wanted to massacre everything. Stupid hen. I was taking chicks and putting them in the incubator. I am so mad at her! 4 dead this morning and 3 looking like they will not make it. Some of it is my fault, I should have just quit her last night, but I thought she may have settled overnight and gotten the hang of it. Nope, everything that hatched last night got savaged. I never would have set eggs if I would have known I was going to have to brood them.

So all and all a pretty bad day. I do have 2 lovely chicks and another egg hatching, but of course the chick that was the most important is not going to make it I don`t think.

2bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:29 am

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Sorry to hear that Coopslave. Doesn't Murphys law strike fast! And finely tuned, you just had to think she was nice, not even name her out loud and pow.... hope she coems back, was she old enough to have gone broody?

Sorry about your broody and chicks, I'd leg band her so you know and don't mix her up with the normal ones. I am so impressed with our chanties this year, they are the reason I haven't bought anther bator yet. Do you have any going more broody you could surprise with week old babies? I have 4 starting to go broody again.... Shocked Maybe plant the broody seed by leaving the eggs in the nests a few days and see who rises to the bait?

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

3bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am soo mad at her! She is one of my chanties. She will go now. She is not the best type and her pencilling is poor. I was only keeping her as she was going broody a bit. NOT NOW! Stupid hen. Rolling Eyes

The only other hen I would trust with older chicks is the one that has raised a brood this year already and she isn`t looking anything like wanting to di it again.

I hope the lovely girl does come back. She may have gone off to sit, but she wasn`t acting like it at all. Sigh.....

4bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry to hear, Hope she shows up.

5bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:56 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is shocking and demoralizing to wander out to your setting hen and find little, dead bodies flung around. I've only had that happen once and she didn't last. I found it deeply disturbing that the maternal instinct was so utterly lacking. Then there's the guilt and internal dialogue that goes along. "I should have known, I could have prevented this, this is my fault, ugh..." I know how upsetting this is and I am sorry it happened.

6bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:00 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is too bad, sorry she didn't make a good mom but I guess they aren't all cut out for that...
Hope your favorite returns that is a real shame ... seems like you always lose the good ones all right Sad

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry about your broody, I have never had much luck with them either. They either sit too hard and make all the eggs rotten or dead or they kill the babies as they are hatching. I am glad you were able to save a few, just makes brooding frustrating as well.
And you missing hen, that is terrible as well. I do the same, try not to put too much into liking a specific bird or they are always the ones to go missing.
Hope things pick up for you and your lovely hen shows up today.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

Fingers crossed and sending all my positive hope that your hen returns. You are certainly shouldering a heavy load these days Coopslave. I hope things start to look up for you in all areas.

xo

9bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:46 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had hens return after 2 or 3 days.

Actually, I got a call from a neighbour. She had wandered in the woods and then found his pen of meat kings.

I've also talked with people who had them show up after 3 weeks with a bunch of chicks.

10bad and frustrating day yesterday Empty Re: bad and frustrating day yesterday Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah geez. I really hope your lovely hen finds her way home.

And what an absolutely awful thing to happen with the broody. I’ve heard of bad broodies turning on their own chicks. So awful. No I’m sorry you experienced one. I would be getting rid of her too. Right into the stew pot...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum