Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard times on the farm

+20
Cathyjk
coyoteacres
Blue Hill Farm
chickeesmom
Prairie Chick
KathyS
loushrop
dj
nuthatch333
Susan
pops coops
triplejfarms
lanaire-ranching
poplar girl
cbrookkelly
smokyriver
Skeffling Lavender Farm
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
coopslave
Hidden River
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:So where could I get this yeast from? She ate some horse ration grain for me this afternoon, she is starting to get her tongue figured out again so can lick the grain up, and If I added the yeast that might help. She has one more dose of Thiamine injectable tomorrow before we head out. And she is starting the try to get hay, I dont have to shove it in anymore just have to hold it up to her nose and help get it to the back of her tongue, so she is making improvements. The vet says the sight should come back but so far still blind.

Does cathy mean brewers yeast? I remember taking it when I was breastfeeding!?
Got it at nutters or Sangsters I think but it wasn't that big of a bag...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

27Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No it isn't brewer's yeast. That doesn't have much B vitamin left in it.

Diamond V.. I get it from the Country Store in Okotoks. It used to be you could get it from a bunch of places.
If you call them, maybe they can tell you who they order it from and perhaps the distributer can tell you where near you, you can pick it up.

Country Living & Garden Centre
SW Corner of Hwy #7 & Southridge Dr.
PO Box 38
Okotoks, AB T1S 1A4

T: 403.938.4094
F: 403.938.3804

E: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
W: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For a quick bit, do you have a health food store near you, at all. They carry usually Red Star Nutritional Yeast (and yes it would be pricey but for maybe just this time in a pinch until you can get the Diamond V).

OR a pharmacy or even Safeway's in the pharmacy section should carry B1 tablets. Crush one up, put a little molasses on it and put it on her tongue, it will be such a small amount there probably won't be an issue with her eating it.

28Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jayme, from the Merck Vet Manual -- and I know you have done a bunch of research yourself...

Polioencephalomalacia (PEM) is an important neurologic disease of ruminants that is seen worldwide. Cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and camelids are affected. The term PEM denotes a lesion with certain gross and microscopic features that are not specific for a particular etiology or pathogenesis. Historically, PEM has been associated with altered thiamine status, but more recently an association with high sulfur intake has been observed. Other toxic or metabolic diseases (eg, acute lead poisoning, sodium toxicosis/water deprivation) can result in PEM as well.

A variety of sulfur sources can result in excessive sulfur intake, including water, feed ingredients, and forage. Many geographic areas have surface and deep waters high in sulfate.

Alfalfa, by virtue of its high protein and sulfur-containing amino acid content, can serve as a significant source of sulfur. Although grasses tend to be low in sulfur, some circumstances can result in high sulfate concentrations. Certain weeds, including Canada thistle ( Cirsium arvense ), kochia ( Kochia scoparia ), and lambsquarter ( Chenopodium spp) can accumulate sulfate in high concentration. Cruciferious plants normally synthesize sulfur-rich products and serve as important sources of excess sulfur. These include turnips, rape, mustard, and oil seed meals. Byproducts of corn, sugar cane, and sugar beet processing commonly have a high sulfur content, apparently due to the addition of sulfur-containing acidifying agents. PEM ( has been associated with the use of these types of byproducts as feed ingredients. A high molasses-urea diet has been associated with a form of PEM that lacks altered thiamine status.

Dietary supplementation of thiamine at 3-10 mg/kg feed has been recommended for prevention, but the efficacy of this approach has not been carefully evaluated. During a PEM outbreak, sufficient roughage should be provided. When the problem could be associated with high sulfur intake, all possible sources of sulfur, including water, should be analyzed and the total sulfur concentration of the consumed dry matter estimated. Dietary ingredients or water with high sulfur concentration should be avoided; if this is not possible, then more gradual introduction to the new conditions can improve the chances of successful adaptation.

This was a good article too

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

29Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm sorry about your cattle problems. Losses like this seem to be a necessary part of the cattle business. We've had a couple or three of our own. To dance along with the wildfire of 2003 we had a sick cow that was not feeding a heifer calf. The calf kept finding the neighbour's park like yard and survived being weaned at a month of age. The cow had to be put down and we spent a lot of money on tests that thankfully came back negative. Then we had to cows abort because they ate the pine needles from the beetle killed trees. Also had a nice halter trained bull that slipped while on the halter and broke his neck.

Best wishes from here.

30Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Water, especially quality water, is such a precious thing. I'm sorry to hear of this Jayme but am heartened by the offers of help, hopefully something can be worked out for your favorites at least. Even better, I hope that spring and development will work out so your family as well as your critters will be safe.

31Hard times on the farm - Page 2 Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone. Hayley seems to be improving leaps and bounds. She is working hard to eat, she does get some into her and I have no doubt she will keep trying, I saw her drink tonight on her own as well. Still not much but at least she is trying.
Cathy that is exactly what she has, we have her on shots of B1(Thiamine) right now, and have been hauling water for her and her calf.
I took a water sample in from the spring today so hopefully tomorrow or by Monday we will know if it is worth persuing that avenue. We might have to sell the cows still for this winter but will buy some back once we get the water figured out. I will try to keep my 3 favorites, I have had wonderful offers to help with them and I thank you all. We might just ship them to my FIL for the winter but we will see what we can get figured out on this spring first. Fingers crossed it comes back as good water and it doesnt cost us million's to develop it.
I was told by the vet that in time Hayley's site should come back, so hopefully soon. I am just so thankful to good neighbors that are helping us out with pasture, water and tanks to haul it in. And all of you that have helped me feel a bit better about all this. Thank you.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum