Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard times on the farm

+20
Cathyjk
coyoteacres
Blue Hill Farm
chickeesmom
Prairie Chick
KathyS
loushrop
dj
nuthatch333
Susan
pops coops
triplejfarms
lanaire-ranching
poplar girl
cbrookkelly
smokyriver
Skeffling Lavender Farm
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
coopslave
Hidden River
24 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hard times on the farm Empty Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have been having quite a few hardships in the last couple months, not able to find answers and basically just ready to give up...
It all started with a steer we found dead one morning. At evening milking everyone looked well, then there he was in front of the gate dead and bloated only 8 hours later. We passed it off as bloat, fenced off the excess alfalfa in the field they were in and left it at that. A week and a half later, we pushed the remaining steers out of that field and out with the horses because they were caught drinking on the milk cows (these are 1-2 year old steers). The next day I took a trip to deliver birds and my hubby called me to say that one of the steers appeared blind. Was walking right through fences. So we pushed him back out with the cows because he knew that field, but just started turning circles. I contacted a vet and he said maybe Alkali poisoning, there was some in the horse field so figured yes must be it and sent him off to be butchered since he was the right size anyways.
Well now 2 1/2 weeks after that we get home from our Anniversary weekend away and find my milk cow Hayley, very thin, and blind. We have now figured out it is our water, very high in TDS (which we already knew but was told it was ok for cattle) and after the flood last year we knew our well had some issues but didnt know how extreme. The salinity in the water (sulfates) has increased and has caused Thiamine Deficiency in these cattle, causing the brain to swell and them to go blind. I treated her yesterday, sent in blood samples to ensure it is not lead poisoning (which presents most of the same symptoms and since we had the other one butchered for consumption need to know). She is still blind, but she did get up and drink on her own last night, she had lost that reflex so we were very happy when she had a drink. But this am she will not drink again. I will go out now and medicate her again, vet says it could take up to 5 days for her to resume on her own without medication. Many that are huge cattle ranchers probably dont understand my dilema, this cow means a lot to us and I will do what I can, if she ends up for the worse I will do what needs to be done to end her suffering but right now I feel I need to help her if I can.
Hubby and I were up till after 1 am this morning moving cattle, the neighbor has graciously allowed us to move our cows that need to be bred into his breeding field he had only a few head in, and our steers into his other field with his steers he is fattening up. Our horses and sheep we are starting to haul water for because they dont consume as much as the cattle do. We returned the bull we were renting and hopefully now we can just focus on getting Hayley better and hopefully no other cows get like her now they are on good water we have high hopes they will all be ok.
I have a very heavy heart knowing that if we cannot find good water I will have to sell all these cows, most likely my sheep as well. The birds we have already been hauling water for last year and this year, and another reason I need to downsize some, summer is ok but winter is hard to keep the water tank warm enough and yet accessible enough.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:35 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. It is a heavy weight to carry around when things like this happen. I have never heard of this before and it sounds like a tought thing to deal with.
I hope you have luck finding better water on your place. I will think good thoughts about your favourite cow and hope she pulls through.

3Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Sorry we had a lot of trouble with our well a couple years ago and we just got a new one. Hauling watter for cows if a big deal because they drink so much but you might be able to haul for a few cows over winter. Just try to hold on I know you have spent years building your farm and you sould not just have to go and dump everyting you have worked for.

4Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Jayme, I am so sorry to hear this, I know how it feels when it all seems to go wrong at once. It will get better, but that doesn't help you now when more lugging is required and obligation and asking for help from neighbours and losing and caring for your poor cows.

I am sorry your favourite cow is so sick, I hope she pulls through. It sounds like it'll be down to your care of her. I don't know what to tell you but hang in there, hopefully soon, an answer or solution will reveal itself, because you can't go on as you are. Struggling to make it work is the hardest thing and we put it upon ourselves. It is hard to deal with especially when the welfare of you animals, birds and family all have to be taken into account. Hopefully by sharing your burdon here, we can lighten it a bit. Let me know if there is anything I can do, I'm sure others will help too! Hugs Claire

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

5Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry to hear of your troubles Jayme!! Is it just your well contaminated, or alot of the ground water close to you? If it is just your well could you possibly pump it down and do a flush on it to help get rid of the issue? Hopefully a solution will arise for you! My prayers are with you, your family your livestock, birds and pets.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone.
It is all the water around us it seems. We drilled 3 test holes about 4 years ago now to see if we could get drinking water for ourselves, 2 test holes came up dry and the 3rd was a great hole for capacity but way worse water...We invested the money into a water treatment for our house, to make it drinking quality and less hard on our machines/etc. But it seems a waste now since the water is still not drinking quality, and it seems the system cannot keep up with us never mind the livestock...
So we are looking into government programs right now, but it is all for not if we drill more holes with the same water quality or worse.
My hubby is in negotiations with our neighbor right now to sub divide out some land near us, he has a spring on there that we tested a couple years back and it was really good water, so we are going to collect a sample again, submit it for testing, if it comes back as good quality still we will develop that spring and hopefully turn our troubles around.
Of course it all takes time and if we cannot get it figured out by winter I am afraid the cows will have to go. Hoping I can find a foster home for my 3 favorites until we get this figured out...

7Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I know I am not exactly close by, but I will winter/foster your cows if you need Jayme....or your favorite sheep, or? I wish I could help more....But seriously, not a problem to pick up a load of sheep or cows. I do have an empty field and barns.

8Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So s to hear Jayme...I know how you feel. Seems like something bad just has to happen and sometimes the bad stuff just starts to weight too heavy.

9Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:55 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

cbrookkelly wrote:I know I am not exactly close by, but I will winter/foster your cows if you need Jayme....or your favorite sheep, or? I wish I could help more....But seriously, not a problem to pick up a load of sheep or cows. I do have an empty field and barns.

I just emailed you with the same offer... please keep it in mind!!! even if you want to take stuff to Kelly, I can hold animals in the meanwhile... there isn't much I can do to help, but this I can!

10Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

oh thats horrible so sorry hidden Sad i hope you guys get everything figured out there and praying a miracle happens for your haley Sad

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

11Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:13 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am so sorry to hear this Jamie, I had so many water problems a few yras ago, had a company come in and drilled a bored well now I have water at 22 gallons a min and great water to boot so hold out there is hope.

http://www.popscoops.com

12Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm also sorry for your troubles Jaymie. I will also help in any way I can I've never had cattle, but am a decently quick learner Smile. And by the way, if anyone can solve this problem, its you- there is a reason so many people look to you for advice. Hang tight and take advantage of the offers to help. You will get through this.

13Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:54 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Jayme there is no words that can help, but if there is anything I can do, please ask. I live on a cow calf farm and if you need to foster some stock I think I can take some of them. I have time and a very accomodating landlord. Don't hesitate to ask.

14Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:07 pm

dj

I'm so sorry to hear about your cattle. I pray your favorite cow Hayley recovers fully. I hope you're able to find an under ground artisian that has good water soon.

15Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:35 pm

So sorry to hear all that you've had to endure .Hopefully there's a rainbow at the end of all this for you guys

16Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am really sorry for all these troubles Jayme. But this will pass. It will make you and Dwight stronger even tho you don't think so right now. If I can help let me know. BTW our visit was too short.

17Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good water is such a precious commodity, and its one thing that most of us take for granted. Hearing about your struggles was a good reminder for all of us to appreciate those basic necessities like potable water.

It seems there is no easy fix for your water troubles. We only have 4 cows, and I know how attached you can get to those big gentle animals. I know there are many people who would like to help you now, as you have helped so many of us with your kindness and wisdom. I hope you will take them up on their offers and let them help you persevere through these hard times.

(I'm also sorry your anniversary weekend ended that way...but I know sunny days are ahead! sunny )

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

18Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:57 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry to hear your troubles Jayme. I hope everything works out.

19Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:11 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That sucks Jayme, hope you get it all figured out before winter sets in.

20Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I’m sorry for the loss of your critters Jayme, and to hear about your water troubles. KathyS is so right. Having good water is often something taken for granted and not really thought about, that is until you don't have any. We went through something similar on the Island when our well went temporarily dry. Very stressful stuff. I hope you guys are able to find good water asap and Hayley has a full recovery. Try to hang in there. Things usually have a way of working out, though not always how we envisioned. Hopefully that spring comes through!

21Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well the swelling must be coming down. She is eating if I put the food into her mouth, and drinks a tiny bit on her own. I still drench her to keep her hydrated and will keep up with the meds to reduce the swelling. I can live with a blind cow but she needs to learn how to eat and drink on her own. I am happy with the slight improvements she is making, so only time will tell now.
We will be cutting our family holiday down to one overnight this weekend because there really isnt anyone that can care for her the way she is now. But we will have to make it up to the kids later on once school starts, maybe a long weekend away down the road. I know they feel it is important that Hayley gets better too so they understand.

22Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

coyoteacres

coyoteacres

So sorry to hear about your problems. If there is ever anything that I can do, let me know.

http://www.coyoteacresranch.com

23Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jayme, do you think that adding nutritional yeast (I don't know how high it is in B1 - Thiamine) could help counteract the sulfur in the water causing issues? And also something like Probios (probiotic) to help keep the right flora up in their gut tract?? I know online you can buy powdered B1. One I saw was 350 mg of B1 in 1/8th of teaspoon.

We use Diamond V yeast.

This is such a tough one. I have a feeling that a chunk of Saskatchewan suffers from hi sulfate levels in water. And with hot weather, animals drink so much more and get higher amounts.

Cathy

Last edited by Cathyjk on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

So where could I get this yeast from? She ate some horse ration grain for me this afternoon, she is starting to get her tongue figured out again so can lick the grain up, and If I added the yeast that might help. She has one more dose of Thiamine injectable tomorrow before we head out. And she is starting the try to get hay, I dont have to shove it in anymore just have to hold it up to her nose and help get it to the back of her tongue, so she is making improvements. The vet says the sight should come back but so far still blind.

25Hard times on the farm Empty Re: Hard times on the farm Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 pm

duanescows

Jayme so sorry for all of these bad things. I to would take your cows for you for as long as you need or if you were to need something in Edmonton let me know. Your poultry family is all here for you.
Keep your chin up. It's going to get worked out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum