Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We are going for Farm Status...need a name!

+4
CynthiaM
rosewood
coopslave
cuckoomama
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have just applied for farm status, now we have to come up with a farm name....hmmm, was thinking of The Funny Farm, but that may not be appropriate if you work in the line that I do, so on to something else. We live in Roberts Creek, and a creek bisects our property so so it could be Creekside Farms? Any ideas?

what will the focus of the farm be? hobby? production? livestock? market gardens? fiber?
and congratulations on the farm status. I believe you can apply for farm fuel as well, or at least in Alberta it is so.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does the creek have a name?

Brookside is nice too. Lots of options for Brook or Creek. Tell us a bit more and maybe some of the creative minds here can come up with something you like.

4We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty Farm Status Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The creek is called Clough Creek, It runs behind our property and along the left side. The creek splits our property into two parts. The "other part (1.4 acres, no road in, no bridge, no way over (funny, the bears have no problem). The SCRD, I have my own words for the acroynm will not let us sell the acre which is connected to our neighbour, who will not allow us to use his panhandle...anyway that is another story.

We have chickens (different varieties) I would like to breed Black Copper Marans,Cuckoo Marans and Blues, and we also have 2 Ameracanas (no rooster yet), a breeding pair of Welsh Harlequin ducks, a young male Khaki Campbell and 5 females, 2 Pekin ducks, one black & white muscovy, we just lost one. I am going to order Heritage turkey eggs for next Spring, Pilgrim or Emden geese, 2 pigs, 2 nubian goats for milk and cheese. I would like to put a bee hive or two across the creek. We have close to 20 2 year old fruit trees, 10 grape plants (eating not wine), raspberries including black raspberries and thornless blackberries, gooseberries, red, nlack and green currents, strawberries, blueberries.

We are going for Farm Status...need a name! P1100300

Not exactly a farm house, sure wish we had a mudroom, next house will.

So, I guess we are a hobby farm.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, I guess we are a hobby farm.
If you qualify for farm status your farm like ours is more than a hobby. Our farm name was chosen for us as we had to submit names for our herd of Highland cattle. The "Rose" part does have a personal connection as my wife has retained her Dutch sur name which is "Roos". The double "OO" in the middle has a long "O" sound in Dutch.

That is a nice house even without a mud room. Be sure to apply for a business number for HST credits once you have farm status.

In Homer’s Odyssey, Elysium is described as a paradise:

to the Elysian plain…where life is easiest for men. No snow is there, nor heavy storm, nor ever rain, but ever does Ocean send up blasts of the shrill-blowing West Wind that they may give cooling to men.

Your place is a paradise reminding me of Elysium.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow, if my memory serves well, this home was built by you and your man, this is what I remember. I also remember that you wanted to sell and move away, I thought you were nuts, but that's OK. Are you planning on staying now? That is a most amazing how, and I would be reluctant to leave it, beautiful as beautiful could be. Why not Clough Farm? Hope you find a great name to go along with a beautiful place. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm like brainstorming ideas like names...and a bit more info would help to come up with a list. What's the names of mountains or bays near you? My farm name is a combination of our kids names... Matador (Matthew, Alisha, Dorian).

Gumboots farm, mandala farm (the name of that amazing circle painting), Roberts Creek farm, trickling torrent farm, split creek farm, trickling creek farm, end of the road farm....

And regarding the one acre, if it were me, I'd build a foot bridge, and house all my roosters, peacocks, Guinea hens and maybe a lonely donkey over in that acre, just for kicks. Smile I'm evil that way. There is a reason my roosters live on the side of the yard they do...has something to do with the 10 dogs next door. Very Happy

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

cuckoomama wrote:...was thinking of The Funny Farm, but that may not be appropriate if you work in the line that I do, so on to something else.

What is your line of work?

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

OMG< I do not like your avatar!!! that zipper is WILD!!!!

Cuckoo-Maran

Tranquil Waters

AFTICA (though it may be taken;)

Back to the Farm

Whispering Brook

Getaway

Getawayfromitall

http://LynBarRanch.com

11We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty Name for Farm Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:30 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

islandgal99 wrote:

And regarding the one acre, if it were me, I'd build a foot bridge, and house all my roosters, peacocks, Guinea hens and maybe a lonely donkey over in that acre, just for kicks. Smile I'm evil that way. Very Happy

We have been trying to get access to the other side. When we bought the property there was supposed to be an extension with a bridge but since then the SCRD has veto'd the idea. The creek is approximately 80 ft across and 40 ft deep. I am not sure how we would go about doing the bridge thing. We would love to put something over on the other side, bees, turkeys, many things. Problem...too many bears, hey maybe we should call it too many bears farm!

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There it is...Bears Den Farm.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is good islandgal, I was thinking of Bear Acres.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bear's Buffet Farm

Seeing your picture ..............Whispering Pines ??

16We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty Farm Status Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:18 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ha ha Fowler, that's a good one. Serves me right. When my friend Julia lived down the road the ravens used to eat her chicks so we dubbed it "Raven's Lunch"...now we are Bears Buffet...hmmmm. I almost want to say "Fed up Farm" but that doesn't have such a nice ring to it.

Cynthia M. Yes, you are right. We did just buid and we were selling it, but I lucked into a full-time, good paying job and now we can untighten our belts just a little. Other than the rain and the bears I do love it here.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farm and a Leg
Strong Farm Tactics
The Right to Bear Farms

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

cuckoomama wrote:Cynthia M. Yes, you are right. We did just buid and we were selling it, but I lucked into a full-time, good paying job and now we can untighten our belts just a little. Other than the rain and the bears I do love it here.

Ya, you will remember that we had talked about Roberts Creek and my parents living on the beach, not far from the Wharf, when I was a young woman in my late teens. I am happy to hear that things have gone right for you and yours and that you can stay in the area. The Sunshine Coast is really a beautiful place. When we were there the August before last at Roberts Creek provincial park camping at the family reunion, I could believe how time has nearly stood still in the area. Yes, changes, but not really much when you look at the scope that it was over 30 years since we moved away. And man, your house, it must have almost been a heart breaker when you thought you would have to give it up. This makes me smile.

Now back to the name of your farm. Bear Whisperer Farm. That is what you need to do to get those bears to give up!! Bears were always a huge thing on the coast. Remember when we were in our teens and would have boyfriends with cars, that some Saturday night fun was going to the dump to park and watch the bears having a hay day. That would have been the dump on North Road, not sure if it even exists anymore. But we sure had a whole lotta fun in those days. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

19We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty RE:Farm Status...need a name Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:32 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

CynthiaM wrote: Yes, changes, but not really much when you look at the scope that it was over 30 years since we moved away. Bears were always a huge thing on the coast. Remember when we were in our teens and would have boyfriends with cars, that some Saturday night fun was going to the dump to park and watch the bears having a hay day. That would have been the dump on North Road, not sure if it even exists anymore. But we sure had a whole lotta fun in those days. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Yes, it is beautiful and yes, it hasn't changed much in 30 years I'm sure. Bears were a big part of the coast and still are...they seem to have priority over anything else, including farms. There are several frustrated farmers....

Oh Sue. Look at my profile to see the occupation.

20We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty Re: Need a name Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Unfortunately we would have to call it Whispering cedars...I love pine trees, I don't think we have any pines on this side, not sure about the other side. I was sitting in the back today (I was the sentry from 3-5pm) and I was watching a boat going by when it occurred to me that I could maybe call it Ocean View Farms...sound strange?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

cuckoomama wrote:Oh Sue. Look at my profile to see the occupation.

Hahahahahaha!

When I come up with a name that suits the situation, I google it to see if it is unique. You may want to google Ocean View Farm(s). It seems to be quite popular. The problem only arises when a name if copyrighted or trademarked, but it might only be so in the country of origin, which does not disallow usage in other countries.

23We are going for Farm Status...need a name! Empty Re: Farm Status Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hmmm, Maybe Island View as we can see Nanaimo across the way. I can google Island View Farm, but not farms....or maybe chicken of the sea....haha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum