Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

decisions and fort knox predator proofing

+3
lady leghorn
authenticfarm
fuzzylittlefriend
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1decisions and fort knox predator proofing Empty decisions and fort knox predator proofing Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:13 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We love our little acreage here in windyfield but we are rapidly out growing our house. We have the outside set up now so its functional but our house still needs lots of updating. We have put tons of work and money into this property the last 6 years which of course with the market being what it is wont recoup.

BUT we have found a beautiful property. Double the land, double the house. Lots of space. A few out builds sort of set up for 2 horses ( not the 5 that would be coming).

The BIG issue would be the birds. NOthing is really set up and would need some work to set things up. But my biggest concern is where its located. It boarders on a beautiful park on 3 sides. Nice thick forest full of fun big predators. My husband is concerned that the birds will attract these creatures. Defiantly free ranging would be a concern.

What sort of massive predator protection besides a dog would you recommend? I am thinking chain link would be the strongest but most expensive?

Thoughts?

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

1/2" hardware cloth underneath stucco wire, flight netting on top, run a couple of strands of electrical - one down low, one higher up. Either dig the fence down a foot or extend an apron out 2' and weigh it down.

Motion detection lights and nite guard predator lights as extra deterrents.

Always lock up birds before dusk.

And yes, several livestock guardian dogs.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What kind of park? One that people come to, to use for recreation, or just an un-used park? I would say you will definitely get more predators. Use the

horse barn for your birds, set up something less fancy for the horses, you might have to downsize on the horses? I know, nobody wants to do that. If you

have close neighbours, they will complain about a barking working dog.  Rolling Eyes  Chainlink it horribly expensive, and really needs to be tight to the ground, or

even cemented in. In your website, your free range birds look so happy. Might be the last time you see that after you move. Hawks love sitting high in the

trees, watching for their next meal. Ravens too. Don't know what to say really, guess it really is something you will have to give lots of thought to.

Good Luck with your decision.  Smile 

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Its a huge park with a large "creek" running through even has salmon spawning.

It has a network of trails with access at top of our property used by people, horses, mountain bikers etc. So it has use but there are known sightings of bears, cougars and especially coyotes. It is more built up in front of the property in a mini subdivision and this is the last property on the street thats acreage.

It also has a a huge pond not currently in use but boy could I see the sebies swimming all day.

Blah....

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fort Knox, eh? I refer to my place as the Gulag. I believe in Multi layers of fencing.

On the exterior I have five lines of barbed wire. The next layer is 4 1/2 feet high stucco wire.

Then within that more wire that depends on the security needed for the animal inside.

8' high chain link panels for the dogs and rabbits. Stucco wire attached to a sucker rod fence for the sheep. They have a dog.

8’ of stucco wire and mesh top or stucco wire tractors for the birds..and a dog running loose not side of this.

I recognise that a big predator like a cougar or a bear (we have both) will laugh at our fortifications, but it is all about convenience for many predators. If it is easier to go and catch something wild, they will leave you alone. There are lots of voles, mice, muskrat, beaver, deer, etc around here. Finding other food is easy.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:1/2" hardware cloth underneath stucco wire, flight netting on top, run a couple of strands of electrical - one down low, one higher up. Either dig the fence down a foot or extend an apron out 2' and weigh it down.

Motion detection lights and nite guard predator lights as extra deterrents.

Always lock up birds before dusk.

And yes, several livestock guardian dogs.

Yup, all that. Got it except for the electric strands. Weasels have managed to get between the stucco and flight netting but all the birds were away so fine.

Do yourself a favour and make the run tall enough to stand up in.

I have wild crown land on 4 sides of my place, a deep gully right behind the chicken yard. No question "everyone" loves chickens, but bears and cougars don't seem to want to get into the chicken runs. The smell of fox is everywhere every morning. Only free range old hens and excess roosters and even they are locked up at sunset (if not before).

New place sounds FABULOUS!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have a livestock guardian dog who is still young at 16 months old. He barks when there are predators around, just like you want them to. He doesn't bark at nothing though. Every breed is different and there will be those that bark more than others. Guardian dogs though take time to train. Sometimes you can luck into a rescue that has an experienced dog. Again, just because the breed is guardian doesn't mean the dog is trained that way.
We lived up in the wilds at one time, had a night pen for the sheep. We strung barbed wire under the fence 2 strands, then paige wire 5 ft high, and another strand of barbed wire on top of that. We had a bear walk right passed the pen; never even looked at the sheep.
I have seen a bear walk through a normal barbed wire fence like it was nothing...it was like it melted through..very strange vision

it sounds idylic-your new digs

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fuzzy will NEVER downsize the horse herd... nope not EVER! When it comes to the horses, Fuzzy's math is not the best...she only knows how to add not subtract..... LOL Black (just 'cause I like the black better) 8 foot high chain link should do the trick of course you will need to add electrified razor wire to the top. Seriously though it is the most beautiful property and well worth the effort to make it as safe as possible for all your critters......2 and 4 legged.

PS Can I come for a swim in the "cement" pond?

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chain link is great for adult birds, hopeless for chicks and smaller birds.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum