Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toenail Colour Question for Heather &/or Rico and Exhibitors Alike!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Tara
I hope I can explain this without mixing it up.
There is no provision in the Standard for a say yellow legged breed with incorrect toe nail color, I would say this would be most likely because if you had a bird lets say a leghorn who should have yellow legs and white toe nails, that showed up with say black toe nails then the leg color would be off too so said bird would be disqualified for incorrect shank and toe color.

The only provision in the Standard is for black birds with white toenails which is a cut of 1 point for each white toenail. I had a lovely L.F Black Orp at a show I judged 2 weeks ago that had 1 white toenail on each foot which is an atuomatic 2 point cut, which took him right out of the mix.
In Black birds this can be a problem and having black Old English Game myself, I would never keep or show a bird with even one white toe nail as it is genetic and will be passed to some offspring, automatic cull in my barn.

Interesting question thou and I hope I have answered your query. I should say that I am quoting the ABA standard just because it is the one that comes to my mind at the moment. Just let me know if I have not been clear with my answer. Cheers and stay warm!

Heather

Last edited by viczoe on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://www.triple-h.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well for goodness sake, whooda thunk. I like the pretty toenails and nailpolish and the anklet. Beautiful. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is there any particular approach to obtain black toenails in an all black breed that does not have black toenails?
sorry-i hope i have not high jacked. I have a lovely Roo offspring of my favorite Black Ameraucana. Neither the sire, nor the offspring had/have black toenails. The temperament of these birds though is really nice, and their appearance otherwise is lovely.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love running across these older posts! Always so interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum