Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spelt hulls versus rice hulls

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spelt hulls versus rice hulls Empty Spelt hulls versus rice hulls Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:54 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now my turn for a query.  I have in the past used rice hulls, along with shavings and some straw for the chickens’ floor inside the coops.  Dirt floors.  Rice hulls were fantastic and we had a good many 50 pound bags of them, Daughter had purchased them as a fund raiser event some years ago and Daughter (me) has used them all up.  She did not require to use them with the horses.  I loved them.  They kept the coops so dry and a nice and softness to them that was well, just nice.  So, now what to do.  I have put down bales of shavings, that is very nice too, but I find they are moist.  I think we have had an extraordinarily wet fall and I think my coops feel moist.  I don’t like it.  Maybe other years were moist too, but not inside the coops.  The bedding is not wet, just not that crispy dry that I used to experience.

We have a granary in the area, goes by the name of Fieldstone Granary.  Been there, loved the products that they have sell, all certified organic and I have purchased some red fife wheat to make flour with.  My Husband resurrected my Mother’s old, as old as time itself (well, probably 1970ish) flour mill, it needed only minor tweaking.  It works like a darn hot dam.  Geeze, this was about hulls. But let me ramble, got a story to tell.  You tell me how I can fling a story out of such a simple question?  Would like to know that myself, but just couldn’t be bothered to figure it out.  Yes...so where was I?  Right.

I had sent an email to the company, explaining my need to find something that might be comparable to rice hulls, explaining how I had come upon using the product from rice.  A person very nicely responded to me this morning and explained what they had that might help.  It goes like this.  

We do have Spelt hulls which Chicken and dairy farmers use for bedding. As they are quite bulky we sell them in 1 tonne tote bags which actually weigh out at approx. 315 lbs. The dimensions of the bags are approx. 44" X 46" X 5' tall on a pallet. Cost for a tote of spelt hulls is $75.00/tote bag. This relates to about $12.00 for 50 lbs. To purchase in 20 kg bag is just not economical as the bags weigh only 10 lbs at a cost of $7.00/bag. The tote bags have a "funnel" opening on the bottom of the tote for ease of discharge. Hope this helps.
Regards
Spelt is like wheat I suppose, never dealt with it, but my Nephew makes smelt bread, so guess it is a form of grain.

Would spelt hulls be pretty much the same as rice rulls?  Anyone got a guess.  I think I will need to get a tote for sure, but then comes the worry about where to store it so it stays dry.  There is no where here really, all space is used up by Daughter’s “stuff”, but maybe, just maybe, she will see it in her heart to find a teeny, tiny little corner in the area where we used to get sawdust stored into, smiling.  I know she would do anything (well, pretty much) for her poor Mamma with an illness, an illness that involves chicken keeping, smiling that big smile.  Ya, so bring on some comments about spelt.  It sounds like a fish to me, but I think it is grain.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum