Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elephant hunting

+3
Country Thyme Farm
KathyS
lazyfarmer
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Elephant hunting Empty Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:11 am

lazyfarmer

I am not posting to offend anyone or look down on anyone just having a say so as to understand this. If you take offense easily PLEASE STOP READING. When there is a big problem, big measures are need. It seems to me there are elephants in the room. I don't like elephants so will have my say. I would like to know how my post on trollops offended anyone. I did not call anyone a trollop so that could not be it, unless you miss read it and assumed I did. Were you offended that I asked for clarifiaction. I read a lot of posts and have no idea what the person is really saying, so if it is something I am interested in I will ask for clarification so as not to come to the wrong conclusion. I realize some must just glaze over the post, then make comments that don't make sense to me. Example someone will post birds for sale, farm pick up only, and $40 a pair. The very next post, or one later will ask, will you deliver and what are you asking.
There seems to be some taboo topics but there is no posted list everyone just pretends they don't exsit. (ACE).
I know each person has their own guidelines, that is great but ours are not always the same. I do not swear, or call people stupid on here or in life, that doesn't mean others are the same, I live with that and let them do their thing.
I do not take offense unless you will come right out and say I am trying to offend you, my choice to take offense or just let it go.
If you have a problem with me, tell me if not go complain to your friends how bad I am I really don't care, as there is nothing I can do about what you do.
I am here to learn and share, I know some have to share your bad luck and problems, I don't that is life. I will share IF it will help someone else learn from my misfortune or mistake. I will try to point out my follies or disasters and how you could avoid them.
If we just glaze over stuff here and talk nice please direct me to a forum where we can really talk openly. Maybe there should be a heading for straight talk only, no offense taken.
If you do not understand what I am saying or I have not made myself clear ask but don't assume I said something I didn't mean. I can't convey my thought into word most of the time.
If it is only me who thinks this way tell me I will not be offended I will just move on, But if there is a problem lets discuss it and deal with it, not just pretend everything is fine and hope it goes away.
I think it is because of these undiscussed problems poeple post saying only part of what they want to and you are left to read between the the lines and that is where each person can read something into it that was not intended.
On behalf of the small Troll community. Thanks.

2Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lazyfarmer, I'm not sure if my post prompted this. I tried to be very clear about what exactly I was refering to, and it wasn't what you wrote. It was a couple of words that I felt did not belong on a livestock/chicken forum. Yes, I know there is no end to what kids can find on the internet if they go looking. I don't consider myself a prude and I like a good joke as much as the next person, but what we laugh about amongst adults in a bar for example may not be the same jokes we share when we are at the park or school with a bunch of kids around. It's common sense really, and I don't think we should have to refer to a list of rules to figure that out.

I don't think anyone is complaining about 'how bad you are'. Not that I'm aware of. I like that you open some discussions on here that are not black and white. Its great to share information and views, and for the most part I think the members on here manage to keep comments respectful.
So I'm not sure where the elephant is, but I can easily miss things. Too many other things to think about today! I'm on vacation and its a beautiful day to be at the beach....if I finish the mowing, weeding and a few other little chores first!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Elephant hunting Empty 2 dimensions versus 3 Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 am

The computer gives a sketch of a person in 2 dimensions. We are not able to pick up inflection, nuance or smiles. Emoticons do not tell the tale. So, when we read something that is posted and respond, the readers have little idea of what we are thinking, only what we are saying. We don't see that little evil grin, or hear the sarcasm in the voice. All we can know is what is presented in black and white. This is problematic in conversations. I have chatted away to someone on the computer and suddenly got told to stuff myself. Most of the time it is something that was misconstrued. The other problem is that people are not good with English. They do not write well enough to communicate what they really want to say. It can take four or five readings to get the gist, or at least what you think they mean and that could be way off. A fellow offered to shear my llamas for a place to hang his bedroll and gas money, but what he actually said is he charged 1000 dollars per breeding and would bring a llama to me for that price plus gas money and a night's stay at the B & B. When I asked him to reread what he wrote he got really mad, because to him, what he wrote made perfect sense. It didn't though. I used to teach English to grade 12s and had the same problem. Even after rereading their writing, they could see nothing wrong. It was not until I asked them to read out loud what they wrote they got it.
At any rate, I do not think the problem of miscommunication and hurt feelings is easily solved. There are some members who need to be a lot more careful with what they say and how it is worded because they offend everyone almost. And when a problem is there, it only escalates or is tip toed around to avoid consequences or hurt feelings.
It would be a bit easier if we could chat face to face. Even then people don't get along.

Funny, I banned myself from ACE due to squabbles there. I left a forum dedicated to smart cars as well for similar reasons. Is it the same everywhere or is it me?

4Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The Fat Ewe wrote:Funny, I banned myself from ACE due to squabbles there. I left a forum dedicated to smart cars as well for similar reasons. Is it the same everywhere or is it me?

This is one of the better forums I've ever seen for this issue, very well self regulated. Sure we all get riled up here once in a while, but it doesn't get nasty.

I have quit reading a number of organic/sustainable listserves and forums for all the infighting as well, the internet just isn't the easiest place to have amicable discussions since there are no social conventions or pressures to prevent certain people from carrying on when they normally would no better in the real world.

http://countrythyme.ca

5Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Elephants??!! Are you calling me fat???!!!
LMAO!

6Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 pm

lazyfarmer

If the dress fits wear it!!! Just to show my stupitity what is LMAO???
PS. did I say anyone was fat????

7Elephant hunting Empty the fat ewe Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Um. wait...are ewe calling me fat?

8Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

reneggaide wrote:Elephants??!! Are you calling me fat???!!!
LMAO!

Well if the swagga chicken suit fits... Twisted Evil

And leave it to RenEGGaide to use those kinda acronyms on a family forum. Listen, listen you...you...EGGhead! Embarassed

I personally prefer the LMBO (Laugh My Butt Off) shortened form. Much more suiting (form fitting?) and targets the real area of my concern...ain't that right BUTThead donkey faced fella?? Razz

Workin' on my next placement; "Kick me, I like it!" sign. Anywhere will do, the area is broad enough...easy target! Stay on target, stay on target...or is that stay on topic? pale

Never mind what I look like, who am I again? Rolling Eyes

Tara

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:29 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well there is FAT and then there is PHAT!

Me I take the attitude of HYFR and to each their own.

10Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The roots of the word "elephant" in latin is divided into two words; ele means arch and phant means huge.

Enjoy your huge arch hunting.

Hope this is family friendly enough. Laughing

11Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Nice! Too funny LOL. I still feel phat no matter what you say now!
I have found that whether a person has a thick or thin skin if I don't get personal with them there are no hard feelings. We use to have a saying on the mean city streets- you don't go around hurting people's feeling of things, that's how people get hurt. It's worked for me, still have to take risks though to have any meaningful intimacy in a relationship, trust and friendship are investments.

12Elephant hunting Empty Re: Elephant hunting Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not one to moderate or administrate these forums with a hard thumb, but lately it seems there are some posts that have nothing to do with anything...I would prefer if we could just have friendly chats and discussions about what this forum is for.
I did clean up the other post so hopefully didnt offend anyone I deleted, Kathy is right in saying this is a family forum and I would prefer if some definitions were left unposted, if you find them funny great, let others know the definition is funny and they can go look themselves.

Thank you.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum