Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A thread about picture comparison of hatchery versus breeder

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure if I am losing it, but just can't seem to find a picture that I had copied of a picture of two roosters at a poultry event. It was a picture of two buff orpington roosters, side by side in cages, one was a hatchery bred rooster and one was a breeder bred rooster. the difference was beyond amazing. Was that thread here? I thought it was here that the picture was posted by someone, and I can't even remember who. Been under a lot of stress lately with dog, and my memory is just gone whomp. It's awful. I was positive I had saved that picture on my computer, and do you think I can find that darn picture. Sigh...help if you can, have an awesome night, days to follow, CynthiaM.

Was this it? The post by spruceburnranch [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by JDWest on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

I remember you posting that comparison on FB Cindi. Maybe that's where it is? Or maybe you did it here too.  scratch 

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Its on ace under someone who wanted to do a rochester hatchery order

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia, as bad as the comparison between buff orps is, let me tell you it is even worse for Cornish.  Hatchery Cornish don't even look like the same bird!  I have been told it is due to the poor fertility of the 'true' Cornish, but I have to say that my white LF breeder Cornish are laying up a storm right now, and even came through the winter without more heat than a heat lamp in a small coop.  They are one tough chicken.

Here is Spruceburn's picture

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

fuzzylittlefriend wrote:Its on ace under someone who wanted to do a rochester hatchery order

There, and somewhere else too because I'm not on ace. Smile

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ah yes Thats the pic from ace. A year old hatchery roo vs a 4 month old breeder. The 4 month old the bigger.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you all for the comments. Yes, that one that Spruceburn ranch had made was one of the pictures, I do have that one, I kept it, because it was so relevant to breeding and I knew she would not mind. I did fb that picture, Farmchiq, but there was another one, there was a picture of two buff orpington roosters (these were adult in this other picture) and it was from some kind of poultry EVENT, the two males were in cages, side by side on a table. I just can't remember who made that post, or where it was, or anything, other than the picture and the description. Someone will remember it, but maybe it was not even on our forum here, sigh...oh well, mysteries to solve. thanks, lets dig more, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok did a little sleuthing and facebooked, yes, I had posted that particular picture there.  So I have it handy again.  The picture was such an impact that I had to keep it.  I think the larger buff orpington might have been bred by a fellow going by the name of Jim T. Hall, at least that is what the name on this write up following was....I find it so interesting the different forms of different lines of birds, particularly some, and I say this, some, not all, hatchery versus a good breeding stock.  I have heard that there can be some very nice hatchery stock too, so never would put that down, there is a place for everything.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Both are Buff Orpington cockerels taht are less than a year old. Both are at the same age. On the left is a hatchery produced bird. On the right is one bred to the American Standard of Perfection. Though bred for exhibition, its size is better for meat and egg production than the smaller type bird. Hens from this male would be a bigger size, have a larger egg cavity and be able to produce more eggs over a longer period of time.

And just to keep both pictures of the two sets of male comparisons in one thread, I will put Spruceburn ranch's picture of her two males in this thread as well.

I certainly think that breeder orpingtons would live up to the term "dual purpose" pretty nicely, a nice table bird and egg laying capacity. From what I have seen of hatchery roosters, they would not be as nicely sized carcass for the table

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum